Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: D810 and wifi  (Read 6151 times)

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
D810 and wifi
« on: August 11, 2014, 08:56:53 pm »

Dear team,

I am glad to report that the Eyefi mobi 16GB SD card that I have purchased recently works well with the D810 in my first tests.

I did create a bank B setting in which the camera writes raw files the the CF card and light jpg files to the Eyefi SD. After an initial wifi set up that is very smooth, launching the eyefi application on my iPhone triggers the start of the transfer of the images from the D810 to the iphone.

Seems to be reasonably fast and reliable.

This approach addresses pretty well the "I want to upload quickly an image to Facebook" scenario. Of course you need enough memory available on your iPhone. ;)

Cheers,
Bernard

PhotoEcosse

Re: D810 and wifi
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2014, 05:58:52 am »

OK - I am going to ask a very silly question. At least I suspect that it will seem very silly once I know the answer.

Why on Earth would anyone want to transfer photographs from a camera to a phone? Rather than simply take the photo with the phone if you want to send a picture to Facebook.

Enlighten me please.

(The reason that I ask is that I also have a D810, which doesn't have wi-fi, and also a Panasonic GX7, which does. But I have never found any reason to use the wi-fi on the GX7.)
"Reality is an illusion caused by lack of alcohol."
Alternatively, "Life begins at the far end of your comfort zone."

BernardLanguillier

« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2014, 06:29:21 am »

OK - I am going to ask a very silly question. At least I suspect that it will seem very silly once I know the answer.

Why on Earth would anyone want to transfer photographs from a camera to a phone? Rather than simply take the photo with the phone if you want to send a picture to Facebook.

Enlighten me please.

Euh... because the D810+lenses sometimes produces better images than my iPhone? ;)

Cheers,
Bernard

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2014, 07:52:46 am »

Bernard,

Thanks for the info.  What software do you use to setup the transfer? 

I am still considering the camranger for both my 800 and 810.  I believe it also handles a transfer of file.  I was "surprised" to see Nikon not include wifi with the 810. 

Watching how well a Canon 6D can be controlled with the Canon app (on a android) I was very impressed. 

Paul
Paul Caldwell
Little Rock, Arkansas U.S.
www.photosofarkansas.com

Ellis Vener

• http://www.ellisvener.com
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2014, 09:30:38 am »

"I am still considering the camranger for both my 800 and 810. "

Works great with both and being able to control a camera remotely allows me to make shoots  it would be much more difficult, if not impossible to make otherwise.

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2014, 10:18:19 am »

Ellis:

Thanks for the info.  Does the Camranger also have the ability to copy jpgs (if I shoot jpg and raw) over to a iPad?  It's controlled from either iPhone or iPad as I recall.

Thanks
Paul
Paul Caldwell
Little Rock, Arkansas U.S.
www.photosofarkansas.com

Walt Roycraft

• roycraftart
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2014, 12:35:34 pm »

"I am still considering the camranger for both my 800 and 810. "

Works great with both and being able to control a camera remotely allows me to make shoots  it would be much more difficult, if not impossible to make otherwise.

I tried the camranger with my d700 and was not able to use the MLU setting, rendering the camranger useless(for me) so I returned it. I now have a D810. Will I be able to use MLU with the 810?
Walter Roycraft
http://www.roycraftart.c

PhotoEcosse

« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2014, 06:45:55 am »

Euh... because the D810+lenses sometimes produces better images than my iPhone? ;)

Cheers,
Bernard

Thanks Bernard. I just hadn't considered that image quality would ever be that important for posting to social media.

I live and learn.

Eric
"Reality is an illusion caused by lack of alcohol."
Alternatively, "Life begins at the far end of your comfort zone."

BernardLanguillier

« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2014, 08:02:18 am »

Thanks Bernard. I just hadn't considered that image quality would ever be that important for posting to social media.

I live and learn.

Well, you can live with iPhone quality for some images, it depends.

But Facebook is multi-platform and viewers may use a higher res device (iPad or PC) to access these photos, so higher image quality does help their experience. Besides, the iPhone is basically a 45mm lens with infinite DoF, so even at low resolution the possibilities are very limited compared to a DSLR.

Cheers,
Bernard

John Nollendorfs

« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2014, 12:02:33 pm »

The "ranger" might be fine if you want something bulky hanging off your camera and need remote control. But the Eye-Fi card is simple and effortless way of getting images to a phone or tablet. I use mine in the studio or location to show clients a "polaroid" of what I'm shooting. People tend to be amazed at how I can wirelessly send images to the pad. Sometimes I do get flustered when images don't show up right away on the pad. But the latest iteration of the Eye-Fi software seems to work much better in that regard.

Like Bernard, I keep the RAW files on the card, and only send the smallest possible j-peg over to the pad. Not all situations merit pad reviews, because it can really slow down the shooting experience. But it's a great way to check focus, exposure, and composition with a good sized image. I found the Nexus 7 pad 2 years ago to be the ideal size for this purpose.

Ellis Vener

« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2014, 12:13:17 am »

Ellis:

Thanks for the info.  Does the Camranger also have the ability to copy jpgs (if I shoot jpg and raw) over to a iPad?  It's controlled from either iPhone or iPad as I recall.

Thanks
Paul

JPEGs and NEFs can be copied to your iphone, iPad, Android or Mac.

Ellis Vener

« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2014, 12:15:03 am »

I tried the camranger with my d700 and was not able to use the MLU setting, rendering the camranger useless(for me) so I returned it. I now have a D810. Will I be able to use MLU with the 810?

I haven't tried that yet.

hassiman

« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2014, 06:32:09 pm »

CamRanger support says that this is still not possible (MUP) with the D810.  But it should be no problem to set MUP on the camera before remotely releasing the shutter or starting a bracketing sequence with the CamRanger... so no problem for me.  Actually the only way to use MUP with CamRanger is by using Live View.  I would think that the Electronic First Curtain Shutter should work with Live View as the Mirror is always up anyway.... Can anyone confirm this?
« Last Edit: October 07, 2014, 06:37:26 pm by hassiman »
Pages: [1]   Go Up