Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Grand River, Ontario  (Read 980 times)

luxborealis

• luxBorealis.com - photography by Terry McDonald
Grand River, Ontario
« on: August 11, 2014, 03:10:17 pm »

Cool August nights = morning mist on the water, so yesterday morning I made sure I was on location at dawn for these photographs along the Grand River. This particular location is a place I return to throughout the year, sometimes bringing workshop groups but most of the time for my own peace and quiet.

In the evening, I went back to the same location for the super-moon. Photos to follow. You can find a more descriptive blog post here->

FYI - after discussion over on another thread about tripods, I thought I would try out the Reis wooden tripod my brother gave me (no, he's not wealthy or generous, just off-loading equipment given to him that he doesn't use!). I took off the rather heavy Reis head (now For Sale) and put on my ball head. Wow - what a difference compared to the Manfrotto 055 legs. The Reis was more comfortable to carry both on-shoulder and off. My hands on the wooden legs didn't feel the cold at all. It was faster to set up and adjust - only 1 leg release (legs in two sections) - and far easier to adjust the legs individually to get the head approximately levelled. I wasn't backpacking this time, and with its weight just over a pound heavier than the 055 legs, I think I will make it my go to tripod. I realize I should be going carbon-fibre...we'll see.

Shots were made on a D800E and processed in LR5.6
Grand River Morning: 6:51am; 105mm; ƒ11 @ 1/20; ISO 100; -⅓EV
Sunrise and Mist: 6:58am; 62mm; ƒ11 @ 1/200; ISO 100; 0EV
On the banks...: 7:11am; 25mm; ƒ11 @ 6sec.; ISO 50; -⅔EV w/ ND500 filter
Summer Sunshine: 7:18am; 18mm; ƒ16 @ 1/13; ISO 50; -1EV w/ NDx8 filter

C&C&Qs welcome.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2014, 04:25:08 pm by luxborealis »
Terry McDonald - luxBorealis.com

Chris Calohan

• Editing Allowed
Re: Grand River, Ontario
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2014, 12:55:30 pm »

I especially like #'s 2 & 3. I think I might have gone a bit longer on the exposure to further drag out the water across the rocks. Are you using screw on ND filters or the likes of a Cokin or Lee system?
If it Ain't Broke, Leave it Alone; if it is Broke, Fix it; if it's a Maybe, Play With it - Who Knows

maddogmurph

• Maddog's Photography
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2014, 02:43:15 pm »

#1 - I like, although I wish you had an eagle circling in the upper left quartile
#2 - After deliberation, I decided I might cube crop the left side.  The shadows pushed in the lower left make this more interesting to me, and the color blend makes this perfect for a housewife I'd like to think, but then I might be a bad judge of that lacking one myself.
Maddog Murph
www.depictionsofbeauty.com
Mostly here for constructive feedback.

luxborealis

• luxBorealis.com - photography by Terry McDonald
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2014, 03:55:40 pm »

I especially like #'s 2 & 3. I think I might have gone a bit longer on the exposure to further drag out the water across the rocks. Are you using screw on ND filters or the likes of a Cokin or Lee system?

Hoya Pro1D screw in.
Terry McDonald - luxBorealis.com

Dave Pluimer

• Dave Pluimer Photography
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2014, 07:51:32 pm »

I like the warmth of #2

wolfnowl

• M&M's Musings
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2014, 07:57:05 pm »

The first one doesn't do much for me, but I like the others, especially the last one.

Thanks for sharing them!

Mike.
If your mind is attuned t
Pages: [1]   Go Up