Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Is UNIWB still usefull on a Nikon D800E and D810?  (Read 11571 times)

greyscale

Is UNIWB still usefull on a Nikon D800E and D810?
« on: August 11, 2014, 01:14:28 pm »

Have a D800E and am considering a D810 upgrade. The main reason for upgrading is the  improved shutter and rear LCD. I have used UNWB on my D700 with very good results but, have not been able to find a UNIWB file for the D800E and the D810 is so new, I doubt a file exists for it yet.
Or am I chasing an unnecessary object?

Vladimirovich

Re: Is UNIWB still usefull on a Nikon D800E and D810?
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2014, 03:06:58 pm »

have not been able to find a UNIWB file for the D800E and the D810 is so new,

you can set UniWB w/o a file... it might take a little more time of course.

Guillermo Luijk

• http://www.guillermoluijk.com
Re: Re: Re: Is UNIWB still usefull on a Nikon D800E and D810?
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2014, 03:55:29 pm »

Or am I chasing an unnecessary object?

I would say you are. UniWB and ETTR are becoming less and less useful with improved technology, since noise is not an issue anymore in most applications. Moreover the D800/810/A7 are particularly the DR beasts on today's market.

If you still insist in having your UniWB file, there is a general procedure to obtain it depicted here: http://www.guillermoluijk.com/tutorial/uniwb/index_en.htm

Regards

Jim Kasson

• The Last Word
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2014, 04:00:49 pm »

I would say you are. UniWB and ETTR are becoming less and less useful with improved technology, since noise is not an issue anymore in most applications. And the D800/810/A7 particularly are the DR beasts on today's market.

If you think today's cameras have so little noise that you don't need ETTR, you can save yourself a lot of money, and your back and shoulders will get a rest, too. Downsize your gear.

Jim

Guillermo Luijk

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Is UNIWB still usefull on a Nikon D800E and D810?
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2014, 05:14:59 pm »

If you think today's cameras have so little noise that you don't need ETTR, you can save yourself a lot of money, and your back and shoulders will get a rest, too. Downsize your gear.

Exactly as I did, this beauty with exposure pre-visualization plus a great EVF replaced all my bulky DSLR gear:

greyscale

« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2014, 11:14:55 am »

Guillermo, thank you for taking the time to reply. I found a D800E UNIWB file online to play with and learn from.
Again thanks.

John

deejjjaaaa

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Is UNIWB still usefull on a Nikon D800E and D810?
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2014, 05:35:14 pm »

Exactly as I did, this beauty with exposure pre-visualization
you can setup blinkies in Olympus (or zebra in Sony) cameras to give a real time indication of clipping in raw in your EVF - but that's one more reason to use UniWB btw (unless you do not mind spot metering) as it will be more precise than w/o it...

Guillermo Luijk

you can setup blinkies in Olympus (or zebra in Sony) cameras to give a real time indication of clipping in raw in your EVF - but that's one more reason to use UniWB btw (unless you do not mind spot metering) as it will be more precise than w/o it...

I never use any kind of metering on this camera, it would be silly since the EVF provides easier handling, higher accuracy and much more fun.

I want to keep the JPEG files correct because Olympus colour engine is great, so UniWB is not an option.

Finally thanks to its low effective ISO, highlights tend to be sotfly desaturared towards white and clipping is very progressive in Olympus, making its JPEG files very usable.

In brief: I seldom miss ETTR, UniWB or RAW shooting with the E-P5, even if I have been a heavy user of them all in the past with Canon.

Regards

deejjjaaaa

I want to keep the JPEG files correct because Olympus colour engine is great

If I am not mistaken Olympus does supply OEM Raw converter that can create exactly the same colors as firmware - but if you are a JPG shooter nowadays (your words were "In brief: I seldom miss ETTR, UniWB or RAW shooting with the E-P5") then why bother to render an advice to raw shooters about not using all that UniWB/ETTR/spot metering (or whatever else they need to achieve the optimal S/N w/ acceptable clipping or acceptable getting close to clipping) at all  ::) ?

PS: mr Kasson's logic was that using D8** w/o accurate exposure = using m43 (or APS-C) with accurate exposure... but using m43 w/o accurate exposure is totally not the same for a raw shooter.

« Last Edit: August 26, 2014, 10:57:21 am by deejjjaaaa »

Guillermo Luijk

if you are a JPG shooter nowadays (your words were "In brief: I seldom miss ETTR, UniWB or RAW shooting with the E-P5") then why bother to render an advice to raw shooters about not using all that UniWB/ETTR/spot metering

Pardon? are you suggesting that being a JPEG shooter inhabilitates me to give advice to a RAW shooter? only RAW shooters can give advice to RAW shooters?. Anyone can give advice about a subject as long as he knows what he is talking about, which is my case.

I use my M4/3 with accurate JPEG exposure, basically because unlike DSLR's it has powerful and straightforward means to achieve that. And I love the pictures it produces, without metering, UniWB nor ETTR.

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2014, 07:08:05 pm »

Guillermo,

How dare you share jpgs captured images???

;)

Cheers,
Bernard

deejjjaaaa

Pardon? are you suggesting that being a JPEG shooter inhabilitates me to give advice to a RAW shooter?

I suggest that being (now, mostly) a JPG shooter you shall not mix an advice for a proper OOC JPG exposure with a proper RAW exposure (which typically leads to improper OOC JPG exposure) - and you pefectly know this yourself... and no amount of beautiful (downsized for social media size) OOC JPGs from your camera will change that simple fact - because we all see a lot of beautiful images even from cell phone cameras - showing that is changing the subject of discussion, and you perfectly know this yourself as well.

Guillermo Luijk

Re:
« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2014, 03:33:36 am »

I didn't do such thing. If you carefully re-read my first post answering the OP,  my recomnendation as a RAW SHOOTER is that today's cameras make ETTR and UniWB unnecesary (or much less useful, interpret it the way you like best) for RAW SHOOTERS given the high DR of modern sensors, specially when this user has the best digital sensor on the market. I even offered him the procedure I designed time ago to get a UniWB file if he insisted to follow that way.

If I had a D800 I would probably tend to a slight underexposure (ETTL?) in order to make sure no highlights are ever blown in my RAW data, knowing SNR in the shadows will be fine thanks to the sensor. Of course high DR scenes would fall out of this practice.

The JPEG conversation came later after Jim Kasson's comment, and it is you who is focusing on it.

Guillermo Luijk

« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2014, 03:34:23 am »

Guillermo,

How dare you share jpgs captured images???

;)

Cheers,
Bernard

I know, I have become an enfant terrible! :D

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2014, 06:51:25 pm »

Those free thinkers... :)

Cheers,
Bernard

deejjjaaaa

Re:
« Reply #15 on: August 30, 2014, 07:14:21 pm »

I didn't do such thing. If you carefully re-read my first post answering the OP,  my recomnendation as a RAW SHOOTER is that today's cameras make ETTR and UniWB unnecesary (or much less useful, interpret it the way you like best) for RAW SHOOTERS given the high DR of modern sensors, specially when this user has the best digital sensor on the market.
I see no point for a raw shooter (who does not use OOC JPG) to leave anything on the table with any sensors, more so when settings for cameras like Olympus or Sony can be tuned (blinkies or zebra) to show clipping in raw in place in EVF in real time allowing to make an informed decision as how to the right to expose... yes, at the expense of getting usable OOC JPG immediately from camera - but then we are not talking about JPG shooters.
Pages: [1]   Go Up