Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Printer rolls out to much paper  (Read 1150 times)

johntore

Printer rolls out to much paper
« on: August 11, 2014, 09:19:46 am »

Hello.
I print from a Epson stylus pro 9890.
The problem is that when i insert the paper roll, which by the way is a permajet portrait white 44 inch paper, it seems the printer rolls out to much paper.
I looses about 40 cm, and this has occurred several times. Has any of you print-nerds any good explanation of this behavior...The printer starts to print about 40 cm in to the roll.
kind regards John-Tore  :)

Garnick

Re: Printer rolls out to much paper
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2014, 10:44:15 am »

Hello.
The problem is that when i insert the paper roll, which by the way is a permajet portrait white 44 inch paper, it seems the printer rolls out to much paper.
I looses about 40 cm, and this has occurred several times. Has any of you print-nerds any good explanation of this behavior...The printer starts to print about 40 cm in to the roll.
kind regards John-Tore  :)

Hi John-Tore,

This may not solve your problem, but I think there's a good possibility that it will.  I'm referring to the 9900, but I believe the 9890 configuration is basically the same.  On the Printer Control Panel - press the right arrow key(Menu).  At the top of the menu selections is "Printer Setup".  Press the Menu key again and scroll down to "Paper Size Check".  Press the Menu key again and make sure that "Paper Size Check" is ON.  You can then scroll back with the left arrow key to the main screen.  Typically, with "Paper Size Check" turned off the printer will load the roll and leave quite a bit of paper beyond the actually starting point of the print.  That paper is of course wasted, although you can flatten it and cut into standard sheets for testing etc.  I often have reason to turn "Paper Size Check Off", but I also have a large note on the printer to remind me to turn it back on when I'm finished that print run, especially critical for roll stock.  Another thing to keep in mind is to always use the Roll Paper-Banner setting, not just the Roll Paper setting.  Roll Paper-Banner will handle the roll more efficiently.  If the 9890's Control Panel is somewhat different than the 9900, check your manual under Paper Size Check to locate the setting on your printer.  Hope this helps.

Gary  

« Last Edit: August 11, 2014, 10:46:43 am by Garnick »
Gary N.
"My memory isn't what it used to be. As a matter of fact it never was." (gan)

johntore

« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2014, 12:11:12 pm »

Thank you for answering. It is ON so this can not be the case.. One detail that can be significant is that this only happened with this roll 44 (inch). When i print Epson luster 24 inch roll, it doesn't do this.  Strange behavior...

Wayne Fox

• waynefox.com
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2014, 01:28:45 pm »

I assume the printer settings are correct so it is in auto cut mode, and that isn’t being overridden with auto cut being disabled in the driver when printing a print.

darlingm

• Westland Printworks
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2014, 06:24:45 pm »

Hello.
kind regards John-Tore  :)

My 9900 does this occasionally, even with paper size check on.  I always make sure it loads and feeds back the media until just where it should.  If it doesn't, I release the roll, feed it all the way out, close the rollers, and start loading all over again.  That usually does the trick.
Mike • Westland Printworks
Fine Art Printing • Amazing Artwork Reproduction • Photography
http://www.westlandprintworks.com • (734) 255-9761

Wayne Fox

• waynefox.com
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2014, 01:48:18 am »

I'm not 100% sure on this, but I believe paper size check only verifies the width of the paper in the machine, I don't think it has anything to do with the length.

I talked to one of my staff today, and they said once our 11880 started doing this, and it also quit cutting paper altogether even though auto cut was enabled.  They said my partner (who repairs quite a few Epson printers) fixed it by reinstalling the printer firmware.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2014, 01:50:17 am by Wayne Fox »

Garnick

« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2014, 11:59:53 am »

I'm not 100% sure on this, but I believe paper size check only verifies the width of the paper in the machine, I don't think it has anything to do with the length.

I talked to one of my staff today, and they said once our 11880 started doing this, and it also quit cutting paper altogether even though auto cut was enabled.  They said my partner (who repairs quite a few Epson printers) fixed it by reinstalling the printer firmware.

Hi Wayne,

Of course the only evidence I have of this is what I see on my own 9900, and it has always been the same.  I do have the latest firmware installed and it makes no difference.  To some extent I agree with you, it's only logical that the Paper Size Check would indeed only check the width.  However, if I have the PSC turned off when printing on roll stock it will invariably feed approximately 40cm past the starting point of the print and stay there, not returning as it does when PSC is on.  This has been happening since my first experience with this printer, so I have always assumed that the PSC was the culprit.  One thing I know for sure is that if the PSC is turned off when printing roll, I'll be wasting a considerable amount of paper/canvas.  I have no way of knowing if there is a direct relation with the PSC, but I do know it is so with this particular printer.  It may not be the case with all 9900s.  It is after all a computer at heart.

Gary  
Gary N.
"My memory isn't what it used to be. As a matter of fact it never was." (gan)
Pages: [1]   Go Up