Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Lower Cataract Falls  (Read 927 times)

Dave Pluimer

• Dave Pluimer Photography
Lower Cataract Falls
« on: August 11, 2014, 09:05:12 am »

A quick LR edit from last night's shoot. I was supposed to meet someone from the local camera club here because the super moon was supposed to rise directly above the lower falls (which are not pictured here - these are the steps just upstream of them). But, there was a nice fog that rolled in after 8 pm that added some drama to the scene. I'm looking forward to digging deeper into these. Also worth noting - my recent crop of choice is 1x2.

Comments and critiques welcome. I'm still getting my head wrapped around shooting landscapes with telephoto lenses (90% of my landscapes are either 17 or 24mm).

Canon 6D, Canon 70-200 f/4 L IS - ISO 50, f/11, 1.6s

Lonnie Utah

Re: Lower Cataract Falls
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2014, 10:37:49 am »

I'll assume that since you were using the 70-200mm, there was no real way to get closer to the falls?

Dave Pluimer

• Dave Pluimer Photography
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2014, 11:11:53 am »

I could get within 5 ft of the base. It's about compressing the scene with the telephoto.

David Eckels

• It's just a camera.
    • Website
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2014, 11:35:14 am »

I like it and second your comment about wrapping your head around telephoto landscapes.

luxborealis

• luxBorealis.com - photography by Terry McDonald
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2014, 03:17:45 pm »

Wonderful image - bring on the tele landscapes! They are a challenge, but if you approach them in the same way as wide angles - with a foreground anchor and multiple planes behind - you will have success. This photograph fits the bill nicely, but I wonder if there should be just a bit more space in front of the cataract (along the bottom) - somewhere for the water to flow into, rather than it "disappearing" so suddenly as it meets the edge of the photograph. I love the compression of the water and the trees. Beautiful!
Terry McDonald - luxBorealis.com

Chris Calohan

• Editing Allowed
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2014, 12:51:19 pm »

I recently posted an image (A perfect end to an imperfect day) shot with an 80-400, handheld. I had a similar issue in getting closer but also, like you, the choice to compress the scene was more important than getting closer.

I think it is a marvelous shot.
If it Ain't Broke, Leave it Alone; if it is Broke, Fix it; if it's a Maybe, Play With it - Who Knows

wolfnowl

• M&M's Musings
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2014, 08:06:09 pm »

It's nicely done, but I question the heavy vignetting in the upper corners.

Mike.
If your mind is attuned t
Pages: [1]   Go Up