Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Problem with LR's 'Publish Services'  (Read 1782 times)

LawrenceBraunstein

• My SmugMug Galeries
Problem with LR's 'Publish Services'
« on: August 11, 2014, 07:42:48 am »

I use Lightroom’s (vers. 5.6) ‘Publish Services’ to upload photos to my SmugMug website (via the SmugMug plugin). For whatever reason, I recently noticed that all the published photos in one of my galleries are now marked ‘Modified Photos to Re-Publish’. Is there a way to re-classify them back to ‘Published Photos’ (like the photos in all the other galleries are marked) without actually publishing (uploading) them to their respective gallery? I can only find ‘Mark to re-publish’ in the context menu of the gallery at the left-hand side, or ‘Mark as up-to-date’ in the context menu of the photo thumbnails which doesn’t seem to do anything. In any case, I can’t find any menu item in LR to ‘unmark’ photos which have been marked for re-publishing. Can anyone help?

Many thanks in advance!

Larry

john beardsworth

• My photography site
Re: Problem with LR's 'Publish Services'
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2014, 08:01:35 am »

or ‘Mark as up-to-date’ in the context menu of the photo thumbnails which doesn’t seem to do anything. 

You were almost there.... Mark as up-to-date is what you should do, but there is a bug which means you need to do it twice. Adobe know about the problem.

John

LawrenceBraunstein

• My SmugMug Galeries
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2014, 09:57:28 am »

Thank you, John! Worked like a charm! As William Edward Hickson so wisely advised, "If at first you don't succeed, try, try, try, again." With Adobe it even works after the second try!

Again, many thanks!

Larry

luxborealis

• luxBorealis.com - photography by Terry McDonald
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2014, 10:42:56 am »

I use Lightroom’s (vers. 5.6) ‘Publish Services’ to upload photos to my SmugMug website (via the SmugMug plugin). For whatever reason, I recently noticed that all the published photos in one of my galleries are now marked ‘Modified Photos to Re-Publish’.

Larry

Larry, Is there perhaps a change you made that caused them to be marked for re-publishing - a key wording change or some other minor change you did to a number of photos that included these? I find this with my own work flow at times, and simply hit "Re-Publish". No harm done.
Terry McDonald - luxBorealis.com

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2014, 11:05:09 am »

The problem is that republishing isn't always necessary or desirable. For example, the star rating might be one of the fields which the publish service monitors (each plugin has its own list of fields), but SmugMug may not display ratings and it would therefore be pointless to upload images again. I don't know about SmugMug, but in some cases the online service treats re-published images as if they are new images, so you then have to sort out the version already uploaded. That's why Mark as up-to-date is there and why it should work correctly.

LawrenceBraunstein

• My SmugMug Galeries
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2014, 11:13:57 am »

Larry, Is there perhaps a change you made that caused them to be marked for re-publishing - a key wording change or some other minor change you did to a number of photos that included these? I find this with my own work flow at times, and simply hit "Re-Publish". No harm done.

Terry, quite by accident I realized I had uploaded photos to my website with an incorrect copyright year on the watermark. Though I always update my standard export watermark on the 1st of every new year, I didn’t realize that the SmugMug plugin requires a separate watermark update. Correcting the mistake was easy enough. Ironically, the photos in the gallery which contained the ‘Modified to Re-Publish’ photos (referred to in my initial post) were actually correctly watermarked! Go figure. In any case, thanks to John’s information, everything is now as it should be!

Best regards,

Larry
Pages: [1]   Go Up