Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: New revision of The Digital Negative  (Read 4195 times)

Schewe

• http:www.schewephoto.com
New revision of The Digital Negative
« on: August 11, 2014, 12:53:10 am »

Folks,

Just a heads up that I'm about to start working on an updated revision of The Digital Negative. I can't say when it'll be out because, well, that's top secret (due to the fact that Adobe hasn't announced Lightroom 6). But it will add all the new features of ACR/LR that have been (and will be) added since the last version. Most of the changes will be in chapter 3, the ACR/LR fundamentals and chapter 4 advanced image processing in ACR/LR.

I don't know yet if there will be much new in chapter 1 What is a Digital Negative (although I'm open to dealing with any errors or omissions) nor in chapter 5 Using Photoshop. And chapter 6, Creating an Efficient Workflow will remain essentially unchanged (because, well my workflow remains the same).

Chapter 2 will be updated to highlight the changes between ACR and LR relationship but not much else...

However, if you have any constructive criticisms or advice, I welcome any and all feedback. It'll be appreciated!

Your thoughts?

bns

• Boudewijn Swanenburg Photography
Re: New revision of The Digital Negative
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2014, 06:00:05 pm »

Hi Jeff, thanks for the heads up and thanks for the coming effort for the revision of the Digital Negative.

If you are asking for improvements (on a near perect product) the only thing that comes to my mind is the issue of sharpening. Given the endless discussions about sharpening in this forum, the subject seems to be too complex for most of us. We have to judge the effect of sharpening on the screen. But that has little or no relation with what effect a given sharpening will have on the print. Can you think of something that can be of help? Ofcourse within the (new?) capabilities of LR6

Anyway, looking forward to the upcoming revision.

Boudewijn SWanenburg

Ellis Vener

• http://www.ellisvener.com
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2014, 09:32:40 am »

I'm looking forward to it Jeff! the first version is a great addition to every photographers' essential library. A worthy successor to Adams "The Negative" and "The Camera" books.

jrsforums

« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2014, 10:15:56 am »

I think the first book was great....very worthwhile.  For new readers, I think a 2nd edition is appropriate.

I, however, am not sure I will buy an entire new book for the updates described.

I might buy an update addendum, but that does not seem to be in the plans.

So.....I guess I will have to learn the new functions and figure it out for myself.

John
John

hokuahi

• Artist, Photographer
    • Exhibition
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2014, 11:44:25 am »

I think the first book was great....very worthwhile.  For new readers, I think a 2nd edition is appropriate.

I, however, am not sure I will buy an entire new book for the updates described.

I might buy an update addendum, but that does not seem to be in the plans.

So.....I guess I will have to learn the new functions and figure it out for myself.

John

Copy that..

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
    • http://www.markdsegal.com
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2014, 12:59:11 pm »

I've observed that Jeff often revisits previous material with fresh insights and experience, as well as the updating, so for my money and for both purposes there is intellectual interest in buying the forthcoming edition.
Mark D Segal (formerly MarkDS)
Author: "Scanning Workflows with SilverFast 8....."

Vladimirovich

« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2014, 01:03:13 pm »

Your thoughts?

when are you moving from perpetual to subscription cloud model ?

bjanes

« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2014, 01:52:31 pm »

Folks,

Just a heads up that I'm about to start working on an updated revision of The Digital Negative. I can't say when it'll be out because, well, that's top secret (due to the fact that Adobe hasn't announced Lightroom 6). But it will add all the new features of ACR/LR that have been (and will be) added since the last version. Most of the changes will be in chapter 3, the ACR/LR fundamentals and chapter 4 advanced image processing in ACR/LR.

I don't know yet if there will be much new in chapter 1 What is a Digital Negative (although I'm open to dealing with any errors or omissions) nor in chapter 5 Using Photoshop. And chapter 6, Creating an Efficient Workflow will remain essentially unchanged (because, well my workflow remains the same).

Chapter 2 will be updated to highlight the changes between ACR and LR relationship but not much else...

However, if you have any constructive criticisms or advice, I welcome any and all feedback. It'll be appreciated!

Your thoughts?

Jeff,

If the revised version merely updates information on LR/ACR, I would likely not buy the new book. Information on those updates would be available elsewhere. I have no idea of what might be included in LR6, but since LR is now a mature application, the changes would likely be incremental. Indeed, in the introduction to the first edition, you stated that your intent was not to write another PS/LR book, but to produce a book covering cross application integration of the tools  needed for the best-possible image quality.

I would like to see more coverage of optimal re-sizing algorithms and convolution sharpening/image restoration. With current high resolution DLSRs such as the D800e and the highest quality lenses (such as the Zeiss APOs), image quality declines when stopping down much beyond f/5.6 and is quite noticeable at f/16. If one needs depth of field, stopping down with partial restoration of image quality with deconvolution is one approach. Image stacking is another. You might consider how non-Adobe applications can be used with PS/ACR/LR to achieve these ends.

One of the strengths of the first edition was that it presented much of what one needs to know without going into mind numbing detail, so in expanding the coverage of the book you must steer between Scylla and Charybdis.

Regards,

Bill.

Vladimirovich

« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2014, 02:02:20 pm »

Jeff,

the writing is on the wall... subscription only it shall be !

Schewe

« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2014, 06:17:06 pm »

when are you moving from perpetual to subscription cloud model ?

Was this supposed to be funny? It certainly doesn't add to the discussion, but you sure have a habit posting stuff that isn't very useful, huh?

Schewe

« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2014, 06:30:51 pm »

Indeed, in the introduction to the first edition, you stated that your intent was not to write another PS/LR book, but to produce a book covering cross application integration of the tools  needed for the best-possible image quality.

Yep...and that is the intent of the revision as well.

The goal is to keep the book "evergreen" and current. The last edition came out Sept 2012. But there have been changes to ACR/Photoshop/LR since the first edition was released (using LR 4, CS5 & ACR 7.x). As a result, there are enough changes for the publisher (and myself) to want to update the content in order to stay current so the book goes forward and is not static.

The goal of this thread was to elicit feedback on things I could do better or areas I could cover more. I agree sharpening is fertile ground and about the only new thing in Photoshop I may add is dealing with upsampling since the new Image Size has the Preserve Details option which I've found useful. But I covered that in The Digital Print.

The goal of this thread was not to have some yahoo come in and disrupt the discussion by posting about crap that nothing to do with photography or digital imaging processing...fair warning, I would rather close the thread than get into a protected argument about totally OP (and un-useful) crap.

Vladimirovich

« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2014, 09:33:09 pm »

Was this supposed to be funny? It certainly doesn't add to the discussion, but you sure have a habit posting stuff that isn't very useful, huh?
what do you have against the subscription model though ?  just imagine the fact that your book is available for readers to actually read for as long as they pay the monthly subscription and you can deliver the updates w/o selling a new editions  ;)

PS: oh... the the content related to LR only (sans ACR) might still be available on a perpetual basis.

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2014, 09:37:30 pm »

what do you have against the subscription model though ?  just imagine the fact that your book is available for readers to actually read for as long as they pay the monthly subscription and you can deliver the updates w/o selling a new editions  ;)
PS: oh... the the content related to LR only (sans ACR) might still be available on a perpetual basis.
Are you here to assist in the discussion or troll? Not sure the question even needs to be asked based on your text thus far.
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2014, 09:40:45 pm »

Vladimirovitch,

Two points: (a) you can't have LR separate from ACR because the Develop engines are pretty much the same thing and meant to be. (b) May I suggest you go back to Jeff's original request and respect it. If you wish to start another thread on the subject of whether digital imaging instruction material should be sold in one format or another, that could be an interesting discussion to have in its own right, but not here. It's "O.T" (off-topic) in this thread.

Vladimirovich

« Reply #14 on: August 12, 2014, 09:45:19 pm »

Vladimirovitch,

Two points: (a) you can't have LR separate from ACR because the Develop engines are pretty much the same thing and meant to be.\

I can have perpetual LR, but I can't have perpetual ACR (the current one) - so I bet Schewe fill find a way, like Adobe did

(b) May I suggest you go back to Jeff's original request and respect it. If you wish to start another thread on the subject of whether digital imaging instruction material should be sold in one format or another, that could be an interesting discussion to have in its own right, but not here. It's "O.T" (off-topic) in this thread.

it is a totally valid suggestion to Schewe to switch to subscription model... but it seems that it is not welcome by a big proponent of subscription model like Schewe himself  ;)

Vladimirovich

« Reply #15 on: August 12, 2014, 09:46:15 pm »

Are you here to assist in the discussion or troll? Not sure the question even needs to be asked based on your text thus far.
team "Adobe" is up in arms  ::)

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
« Reply #16 on: August 12, 2014, 10:02:00 pm »

it is a totally valid suggestion to Schewe to switch to subscription model... but it seems that it is not welcome by a big proponent of subscription model like Schewe himself  ;)

Except that it's not the purpose of the thread as he requested it, and this kind of side-chat just distracts people from focusing on the kind of technical content Jeff is interested in hearing about. Neither he nor other readers deserve this side-show, if I need to be blunt about it, and why I respectfully suggested that you start a new thread on book marketing formats if it interests you to do so.

Schewe

« Reply #17 on: August 12, 2014, 11:43:09 pm »

team "Adobe" is up in arms  ::)

Yeah, you know, I guess I am. I detest boorish behavior from the likes of you. So, true to my word, I'm locking this thread.

I guess the likes of Vladimirovitch are really only interested in the polluting the waters of our once rather nice pond called LuLa. There has been a remarkable increase in vitriol and personal attacks the last year or so–more so than in any of the previous years.

I don't expect Mike and Kev to have to go in and engage in heavy moderation, but I'm tired of this shit.

Too bad really that it's increasingly impossible to engage in healthy discussion. But if any of you folks have any useful feedback, feel free to IM me. I will be grateful for your thoughts.

Christopher Sanderson

• photopxl.com
« Reply #18 on: August 15, 2014, 09:56:04 am »

Pages: [1]   Go Up