Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Sony ar7 and canon 17 mm tilt and shift  (Read 11195 times)

blamau

Sony ar7 and canon 17 mm tilt and shift
« on: August 09, 2014, 11:35:18 am »

Hello .

Did  anybody experience sony alpha7r coupled with canon 17 mm tilt and shift ?
Is the metabone adapter 4 fit for canon 17 mm tilt and shift?

Thanks

RomanN.

Re: Sony ar7 and canon 17 mm tilt and shift
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2014, 07:25:38 am »

Hi,
I use both canons: 17 mm and 24 mm II on sony a7r with Metabones 3 adapter and it works very well.
I modifyied the adapter as was described in the forum to eliminate inner reflexions.
The 17 mm can be used with full movements, when you shift to the maximum you need to use App. 11,5 or 16 to get sharp borders. Also exact use of live view in necessary. I find this combination the most compact, fast  and very exsiting for architecture needs.
I added 35 mm Zeiss distagon PC and Mamiya 50 mm shift to this combination. Hartblei-Zeiss 40 mm would be a next step but nor really cheap.
all best
roman

blamau

« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2014, 11:39:10 am »

Hi Roman,

thanks a lot for your suggestions .I found also interestings insight in : http://www.stevehuffphoto.com/2014/02/03/the-sony-a7r-with-canon-17mm4-ts-e-architecture-dream-team/.

mcbroomf

• Mike Broomfield
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2014, 01:39:53 pm »

I've also been using the 17mm with the Rev 3 Metabones.  I flocked mine, rev 4 supposed to be improved for reflections and has a little extra cut away but I've seen no comparison tests yet

mhospelt

• Michael Hospelt Photography
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2014, 09:23:18 pm »

flocked mine too. Works very well.

Sunny Alan

« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2014, 09:22:41 am »

My Tokina 17 is not at all working on Metabones IV, though Canons work !  :o

achrisproduction

« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2014, 02:52:49 am »

I've also been using the 17mm with the Rev 3 Metabones.  I flocked mine, rev 4 supposed to be improved for reflections and has a little extra cut away but I've seen no comparison tests yet
FYI.  http://www.iso72.de/metabones-sony-nex-smart-adapter-mark-iv-vs-mark-iii-sealed-comparsionreview/

mcbroomf

• Mike Broomfield
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2014, 04:38:43 am »

Thanks for posting that.  Disappointing results...

achrisproduction

« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2014, 09:05:05 pm »

Thanks for posting that.  Disappointing results...
yea I know I think Canon bodies are still the best choices for TS-E lenses atm.

Boykinally

« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2015, 10:25:33 pm »

I just got the A7r to use with the 17&24 tse and triedthe Fotodiox but getting flare in some situations. Should receiving the Metabones IV tomorrow and thinking I will need to flock it. Anyone with experience with the Mk IV and flare? If anyone as a template for the IV could you please post it?

davidgp

• davidgp fotografia
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2015, 04:46:31 am »

I just got the A7r to use with the 17&24 tse and triedthe Fotodiox but getting flare in some situations. Should receiving the Metabones IV tomorrow and thinking I will need to flock it. Anyone with experience with the Mk IV and flare? If anyone as a template for the IV could you please post it?

I don't have the adapter, but I saw the template posted here: http://forum.luminous-landscape.com/index.php?topic=97089.0

caribsurf47

« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2015, 11:18:15 am »

For what it's worth, I spent 5 hours on Saturday shooting with the Canon TS-E 24mm f3.5L II  and Sony Alpha 7R (ILCE-7R) using my Metabones Canon EF to E-Mount Mark III (I have not experienced any issues with the Mark III). The Camera System was mounted on a Heavy Weight Manfrotto Professional Tripod and the shutter released using the Sony RMT-DSLR2 Remote Commander. My photographic interests are Architecture and Landscapes. You can find an image at the following Web Address:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/bajanexile/16779339359/in/photostream/lightbox/

Using a T&S lens takes getting used to and I had a few "Not so Sharp" images that I would put down to technique/moving up the learning curve. You will find a full description of the shooting conditions below the image. I live in UK and have access to fantastic architecture. My main Bread & Butter lens is the Distagon T* 2.8/21 ZE which works well on the Sony Alpha 7R but it is not until you stand inside a Norman/Medieval cathedral that you realise how enormously high the ceilings are. T&S is the way to go.

Five hours is not a long time to explore ever aspect of this lens on the Sony 7R but I have been shooting images since I was a boy so feel that I can at least use high quality camera equipment. This is not meant to be a "definitive" image but an evaluation image. Expect to have to put up with relatively long exposures and ISO settings =/> ISO 800. This is not a problem for recent FF sensors. IMHO highly recommended and I intend to purchase one. By the way, the build quality of this lens is as good as it gets. Anyone worried about the cost should rent or borrow one. NOTE: It is totally Manual in operation for those not in the know. Steve

caribsurf47

« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2015, 04:04:09 am »

Addendum: Forgot to mention a good source of real world evaluations of camera lenses. Have a look at: http://www.photozone.de/canon_eos_ff/603-canon24f35tse2

Photozone explains equipment in terms that ordinary individuals can relate to and I cannot think that I have ever been at odds or dissapointed with their findings. In the end, there is still no substitute for actually personally evaluating expensive equipment before buying. If you establish a long term relationship with a local camera shop, they ought to help you to make a wise decision. Buying at the lowest price is not always the best way to proceed, at least not with equipment where you stand to loose substantial sums of money if your choice is unsuitable.

Regarding the Sony ILCE-7R, it is an excellent camera but has two issues that I would like changed. I almost exclusively shoot Bracketed Images even though I have the ability to examine the Histogram for each exposure. Unlike my Canon EOS 5D Mark II (now gone), you cannot bracket an image AND then release the shutter with the 2 or 10 second Shutter Delay as Bracketing and Shutter Delay lie in the identical Menu. I use the Sony RMT-DSLR2 Remote Commander to achieve this. The second issue is the noisy shutter. Shooting outdoors is not an issue in that you can always keep the shutter speeds high. It is indoors in Cathedrals, Stately Homes etc. where the light is nearly always poor that you have to compromise. Let's hope that Sony can address these two issues when the Mark II is launched. I hope that it is just not more Megapixels to compete with Canon. 36 Megapixels FF is fine for producing high quality prints.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2015, 04:40:04 am by caribsurf47 »

caribsurf47

« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2015, 09:25:53 am »

Addendum 2: Sorry to have made yet another post on the same topic but regarding Functionality of the Canon TS-E 24mm f3.5L II , at the depression of a lever on the body of the lens you can change the configuration from Landscape to Portrait and visa versa. How neat is that? My understanding is that this is not the case for the equivalent Nikon offering. As I have mentioned previously the mechanical construction (and IQ) are excellent, with the implementation and build as good as any Zeiss lens that I own. Really a no brainer if you can justify a T/S lens It is not going to be worth buying a lens like this unless your forte is Architecture or you simply collect lenses for the sake of collecting them.

It may well be that a lens like this with the soon to be launched Canon EOS 5DS R will be the ideal tool for Architectural/Landscape images, but only if the new sensor is able to exhibit very low digital noise at ISO's up to ISO 1600 (ISO 3200 would be nice but that might not be possible given the density of photosites on the new sensor and the laws of Physics).
« Last Edit: April 02, 2015, 10:27:25 am by caribsurf47 »

dmward

« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2015, 12:25:27 am »

I have both the 17 and 24 Canon TSE lenses. I use them with a Metabones IV adapter.
I've not seen a problem with them and the adapter.
They do offer some astonishing results.

http://www.davidmward.photography/blog/uncategorized/panorama-with-three-images/

This is a link to a blog post where I talk about creating panoramic images by using the shift feature on the TSE lens.
Pages: [1]   Go Up