Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How to transfer data to larger internal drives on a mac pro?  (Read 2780 times)

J. Paul

How to transfer data to larger internal drives on a mac pro?
« on: August 09, 2014, 07:34:03 am »

Hello all,
I am needing to replace an internal drive in my Mac Pro Desktop with a larger capacity drive.  A friend recommended getting a USB to Sata cable to transfer the data to the new drive.  Don't I need to format the new disc first? If yes, can I do it with the USB to Sata connection or does the new disc have to be installed inside my computer?  This is probably a very basic question but I am just wanting to be sure before I undertake the process.
Thanks,
J. Paul

plugsnpixels

• http://www.plugsandpixels.com
Re: How to transfer data to larger internal drives on a mac pro?
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2014, 02:41:25 am »

Is this the new black Mac Pro, or a silver tower? I haven't handled the newer ones more than a quick look but reformatting the new drive (attached as an external) should work, and something you will need to do first. Use Mac OS Extended (Journaled), unless the new model Mac Pro requires something different. I am also assuming this a a HDD as opposed to a SSD, which I also haven't had the pleasure of using (only Fusion drives).

After reformatting the new drive you can use the free SuperDuper! utility to clone your current setup to a bootable copy on the new drive, which is the best way to go, before swapping the drives. If you are dealing with a SSD and this process gives you any trouble, you'll need to install OS X fresh on the new drive and use Migration Assistant to move your User folder stuff over.

Don't stress over experimenting; the new blank drive can be reformatted repeatedly as needed. And don't wipe you old drive until the new one is up and running reliably!
Digital imaging blog, software discounts:
www.plugsandpixels.com/blog

J. Paul

« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2014, 01:15:26 pm »

Thanks for your reply.  Yes, its the Silver Tower.  I feel a bit better reading about not being so apprehensive about giving it a try.  I just need to do it.
J. Paul

plugsnpixels

« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2014, 01:19:32 pm »

That's even better! The silver tower can handle 4 HDDs. Assuming your new drive is one, just pop it inside the case and forget the external cable method.

If fact, you don't have to do anything but format the new drive (no need to transfer your stuff). Just use the extra drive(s) for storage.

bcooter

« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2014, 07:53:40 pm »

That's even better! The silver tower can handle 4 HDDs. Assuming your new drive is one, just pop it inside the case and forget the external cable method.

If fact, you don't have to do anything but format the new drive (no need to transfer your stuff). Just use the extra drive(s) for storage.

Just a word of "maybe" caution.

Out of the hundreds of terabytes we have stored on external drives, the only commonality of failure has come from internal drives on silver macpros.

We have three of the silver mac pros and each one has dropped one drive each.  Don't know why and I don't mean to sound an alarm, but I guess it's worth backing up.

IMO

BC

plugsnpixels

« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2014, 08:16:44 pm »

Good point BC! Do not trust your data with a Mac Pro over the long term, as they can be problematic machines! So get your new HDD installed but still back it up on an external or two.
Pages: [1]   Go Up