Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Can someone explain this clog ?  (Read 686 times)

larkis

• My photography blog
Can someone explain this clog ?
« on: August 09, 2014, 01:50:19 am »

I may have asked this before but don't remember getting any answers. Below is my Epson 4800 printer test sheet. If you look at the first row, one colour was clogged. The second row unclogs the colour in question somewhat, at the expense of destroying the other two. The 3rd line is a better attempt at the same, while the 4th seems like a bad hidden camera joke. This random game continues down to line 5, and probably will into the next test sheet. 

Does anyone have a clue what is going on here ? Why would a unclogged nozzle clog itself during cleaning ?

disneytoy

Re: Can someone explain this clog ?
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2014, 02:58:33 am »

Losing vacuum pressure in the line?

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
    • http://www.markdsegal.com
Re: Can someone explain this clog ?
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2014, 09:04:42 am »

From my experience it's not all that unusual, though to say exactly what causes it - I can't. I surmise that it could be some dried material shifting about on the print head through the cleaning process itself, which may perhaps indicate an issue with the wiper blade, but I put heavy emphasis on the word "surmise". One thing you should NOT do however is run successive cleaning cycles without making a real print in between each one. This is because some of those gaps may not be clogging material moving about, but air spaces that develop as a result of the cleaning process. Epson technicians have advised me to print between each cleaning, and ever since then I have found this advice to be very useful. Once you have completed three or four cycles of clean-print-clean-print and you are still getting gaps on the check sheet, make another print and trigger a power cleaning. With all that, you should be restored to normal, unless there are deeper problems.
Mark D Segal (formerly MarkDS)
Author: "Scanning Workflows with SilverFast 8....."
Pages: [1]   Go Up