Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: $100 per mm? Leica 100/2  (Read 12940 times)

Telecaster

Re: $100 per mm? Leica 100/2
« Reply #40 on: August 14, 2014, 05:18:28 pm »

Having used the new Nikkor 58mm F/1.4 and new Sigma Art 50mm f/1.4 on consecutive "full open" portrait assignments I have to say that while the Nikkor has  nice and "personal" bokeh the corners are quite unsharp and distorted. Sigma on the other hand (I suppose Otus is the same) is razor sharp all across the frame. So I prefer Sigma, oversharp frame can be unsharpened for effect, but the opposite is not possible. I have the Sigma in my bag.

Just shoot everything at f/8 then and totally control blur, quantity and quality, in post.   :)

-Dave-

eronald

• My gallery on Instagram
« Reply #41 on: August 14, 2014, 06:08:08 pm »

Just shoot everything at f/8 then and totally control blur, quantity and quality, in post.   :)

-Dave-

Awww, you're so old school, Dave. The youngsters like to get it right at shoot time :)

:)
If you appreciate my blog posts help me by following on https://instagram.com/edmundronald

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
« Reply #42 on: August 14, 2014, 09:04:53 pm »

Having used the new Nikkor 58mm F/1.4 and new Sigma Art 50mm f/1.4 on consecutive "full open" portrait assignments I have to say that while the Nikkor has  nice and "personal" bokeh the corners are quite unsharp and distorted. Sigma on the other hand (I suppose Otus is the same) is razor sharp all across the frame.

Yes, the Otus is the same. But, although I own and love the Otus, I find the 58mm f1.4 to render more nicely, specially for subjects at mid distance.

Cheers,
Bernard

helicalenzyme

« Reply #43 on: August 16, 2014, 02:54:58 pm »

Me, I need the CS in my S 70 mm and 120 mm lenses. I do a lot of really close up stuff handheld with flash and being able to shoot at 1/1000 for me makes all the difference between tack sharp and unusable blurry photos. I figure since the S system gives me all this resolution, I might just as well use it :-)
The Leica SF58 on the S2 can sync with an FP shutter at any shutter speed up to 1/4000. Just sayin'.
Michael@massmeans.com | Zeleny@post.harvard.edu | 7576 Willow Glen Road, Los Angeles, CA 90046 | voice:323.363.1860 | fax:323.410.2373
http://larvatus.livejournal.com | "All of old. Nothing else ever. Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better." -- Samuel Beckett

helicalenzyme

Michael@massmeans.com | Zeleny@post.harvard.edu | 7576 Willow Glen Road, Los Angeles, CA 90046 | voice:323.363.1860 | fax:323.410.2373
http://larvatus.livejournal.com | "All of old. Nothing else ever. Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better." -- Samuel Beckett

peterv

• facebook
« Reply #45 on: August 16, 2014, 04:04:56 pm »

The Leica SF58 on the S2 can sync with an FP shutter at any shutter speed up to 1/4000. Just sayin'.

Thanks, I know. Of course the light output of a flash in HSS-mode is a lot less.

melchiorpavone

« Reply #46 on: August 16, 2014, 11:30:04 pm »

$100 per mm? Almost, not quite. 6500 Euro list.

Tech data here:
http://www.photoscala.de/Artikel/Leica-Summicron-S-2100-mm-ASPH

Edmund

F/2 100mm APO lens for medium format? It's cheap!

Ken R

« Reply #47 on: August 17, 2014, 09:56:22 am »

As most things Leica the 100mm f2 is priced as a luxury item but it should be a stunning lens. Can't wait to see some images made using it. (and possibly along with the new 50mp Leica S). Those who have held and used the Leica S (and S2) know that is is probably the best DSLR ever made in regards to build quality and feel in-hand, in use. The viewfinder is just superb and coupled with the split screen focusing screen it is without a doubt the best DSLR for manual focusing.

Yes I know, it is not a good value, it's overpriced, the D800/E/810 with the Otus (or 50 or 85mm prime) can produce similar results for many thousands less etc etc but the Leica is an object of desire no doubt and price:performance ratio is not the only factor in choosing a camera for a lot of photographers if it were we all probably would be using the same gear. 

peterv

• facebook
« Reply #48 on: August 26, 2014, 05:09:12 pm »

And here are the first sample images:

http://en.leica-camera.com/Photography/Leica-S/Leica-S-Lenses/Summicron-S-1-2,0-100-mm-ASPH/Images

Looking at the portraits in the garage and the background buildings in the fashionshoot-like photos of the young couple, it seems this lens has very, very nice bokeh indeed. Very soft and quiet. Take a look at the OOF area in the collar in the close-up in the garage. The jewellery could easily get rather harsh, not here. The highlights of the fluorescent lights in the garage are also handled very well, IMHO.

The black & white landscapes are nice, but perhaps the clarity slider was cranked up a bit too much for my taste, rather grainy in the skies ...

Ken R

« Reply #49 on: August 26, 2014, 05:23:20 pm »

And here are the first sample images:

http://en.leica-camera.com/Photography/Leica-S/Leica-S-Lenses/Summicron-S-1-2,0-100-mm-ASPH/Images

Looking at the portraits in the garage and the background buildings in the fashionshoot-like photos of the young couple, it seems this lens has very, very nice bokeh indeed. Very soft and quiet. Take a look at the OOF area in the collar in the close-up in the garage. The jewellery could easily get rather harsh, not here. The highlights of the fluorescent lights in the garage are also handled very well, IMHO.

The black & white landscapes are nice, but perhaps the clarity slider was cranked up a bit too much for my taste, rather grainy in the skies ...

Wow, the Paolo Esposito shots look stunning. The lens seems perfect for fashion. The lighting is very nice, looks like what you would get with large HMi (or tungsten) Fresnels (Arri) so he probably used those, helps a lot in getting that awesome "crispness" in the image but the bokeh quality is there and that you can't replicate, it's the optics!

Leica should take down the B&W landscape samples. They don't help showcase the lens at all. The lifestyle images are ok, well produced / styled but again this lens is about the bokeh! :D

eronald

• My gallery on Instagram
« Reply #50 on: August 26, 2014, 05:38:15 pm »

Wow, the Paolo Esposito shots look stunning. The lens seems perfect for fashion. The lighting is very nice, looks like what you would get with large HMi (or tungsten) Fresnels (Arri) so he probably used those, helps a lot in getting that awesome "crispness" in the image but the bokeh quality is there and that you can't replicate, it's the optics!

Leica should take down the B&W landscape samples. They don't help showcase the lens at all. The lifestyle images are ok, well produced / styled but again this lens is about the bokeh! :D

The skin colors/textures on these pix are horrible. Blue is for martians. I'm all for creativity, but not on sample pages.
But of course there is an explanation - the camera used might have been the new CMOS S.

The landscape samples are out of this world. If I were a landscape guy I would be running, not walking  to the shop. But does landscape really need a fast lens? Would I get this clarity if it were I, me, moi, behind the camera?

Edmund
If you appreciate my blog posts help me by following on https://instagram.com/edmundronald
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up