Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Retina Macbook pro as main editing-retouching computer  (Read 9669 times)

george2787

Retina Macbook pro as main editing-retouching computer
« on: August 08, 2014, 09:31:21 am »

I'm currently using a 2010 i7 imac packed with a SSD and 24GB of RAM and a 2011 13" macbook pro for location shooting that seems small and slowish (even with SSD and 8GB of RAM).

I'm going to need processing power and mobility so I'm considering selling both and getting a 15" retina, getting a good on location machine and hooking it to an external display for further retouching.

My doubts are:

- Is Anyone using this setup for 1-3 GB files and can give some feedback?

- How is Capture one running? I'm with a 5d mark3 so not massive medium format files for now.

- Dedicated graphics card or not? From what I've read they have been a problem in previous generations.

I'll be testing a couple of models for real world reference but any word or opinion will be appreciated ;)

George.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2014, 09:36:34 am by george2787 »

Hans Kruse

• Hans Kruse Photography
Re: Retina Macbook pro as main editing-retouching computer
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2014, 10:35:39 am »

I have used a MacBook Pro 15" since 2009 as my main computer with a couple of upgrades. Now I use the late 2013 Retina MacBook Pro with 1TB SSD. 2.3Ghz quad core i7, 16GB RAM with separate graphics card.

I have RAW files from Phase One IQ160, Nikon D800 and Canon 5D III and older cameras as well. I generate 1:1 previews in Lightroom for all working folders and delete 1:1 previews for old folders I'm not actively working on.

I use a Dell 30" U3014 which attaches with a display port cable. I'm organizing photo workshops and therefore travel a lot. Having a single computer that I can unplug and take on a trip with my current working folders and come back from a trip and plugin the 30" monitor and continue working and my files as really optimal for me. The MBP also supports 4K displays through display port 1.2 at 60Hz refresh rate. I haven't yet made the investment in a 4K monitor. For extra storage I use a thunderbolt LaCie drive with mirrored drives. I'm not using Capture One 7 much but from what I have used it for it runs at least as fast as Lightroom which is pretty satisfactory.

This machine works really fast and the only thing that keeps me waiting for a longer time is 1:1 preview generation which I do during my shoots anyway so not a problem. Longer publishes/exports where all rendering need to be done from the RAW files takes time, but for my workflow not a problem. Editing is blazing fast no matter if I have stitched a large TIFF file and edit that in Photoshop and/or Lightroom. Mostly the machine is completely quiet, but heavy cpu work will turn on the fans. Like 1:1 preview generation.

madmanchan

• Web
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2014, 10:51:54 am »

The latest version of the MBP Retina 15 is an excellent choice, due to the newer processor generation and faster SSD.  I would recommend the version that includes the discrete GPU part (NVIDIA Geforce GT 750M).  And of course get plenty of memory.
Eric Chan

george2787

« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2014, 10:53:51 am »

Thank you for the input Hans, it's really great to hear from someone in the same situation.

If it's not too much of a trouble could you instal this app and do a test? : http://gfx.io

It allows you to pick which graphics card is in use, I'd love to know how does capture one imports (generates previews) and exports the same files with the integrated and the 750M.

Thanks again :)

Hans Kruse

• Hans Kruse Photography
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2014, 12:40:46 pm »

Thank you for the input Hans, it's really great to hear from someone in the same situation.

If it's not too much of a trouble could you instal this app and do a test? : http://gfx.io

It allows you to pick which graphics card is in use, I'd love to know how does capture one imports (generates previews) and exports the same files with the integrated and the 750M.

Thanks again :)

Why bother ;) Just get the one with the additional graphics card and at least 512GB of SSD, 2.5Ghz and 16GB RAM is standard. Although it is possible to replace the SSD, I would recommend to take more than you think you need. I chose 1TB.

george2787

« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2014, 04:52:15 pm »

I'm a little concerned about reliability with the extra graphics card, as it is another powerful chip in a small enclosure and I remember reading some old models had problems with them... the savings would be directed towards the top of the line processor that may come in handy.

About storage I think 512 is a good point, if I ever need more there are replacements and I get a cool and fast external drive.

Hans Kruse

• Hans Kruse Photography
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2014, 05:46:28 pm »

I'm a little concerned about reliability with the extra graphics card, as it is another powerful chip in a small enclosure and I remember reading some old models had problems with them... the savings would be directed towards the top of the line processor that may come in handy.

About storage I think 512 is a good point, if I ever need more there are replacements and I get a cool and fast external drive.

I have had MBP's with external graphics cards since 2009 and never a failure.  That's not a proof, but just because you have heard about somebody having a problem does not mean there is a problem :) How much SSD you need is personal, but I like to to have enough space and not depend on an external drive having off the MBP on my travels. Except, of course, for backups. Replacements for the SSD should only be an end of life (or at least several years out) thing for the MBP. Otherwise it does not make sense economically. By the top end model and forget about it and enjoy. Just my 2 cents.

george2787

« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2014, 06:50:08 pm »

That's probably what I'll do (and get the extended apple care)... I'm a little bit worried since my imac has one of those panels that preent stains that you can't clean and of course out of warranty and not recognized as a factory fault. I wouldn't like it to happen with this and be without my "main" machine

Hans Kruse

• Hans Kruse Photography
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2014, 07:08:21 pm »

I never got the machine with Apple Care or any other warranty except the normal legal one. The DVD drive stopped working after some time on the first MBP but I didn't care about that even though it was still within the warranty period, but other than that no problems since 2009. This is just my experience and if you feel better getting the Apple Care deal then do that. You would then need a good display for your office and keyboard and mouse. I use the Apple USB keyboard plugged into the monitor and the Magic Mouse. So just three cables need to be plugged in to make things work in my office, charging cable, display port and USB cable for the display USB hub.

Joe Blackwood

« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2014, 12:48:38 am »

The Late 2013 or Mid 2014 15 inch Retina MacBook Pro have PCIe-based flash storage SSD's. 

So far no one has an internal SSD upgrade for the Late 2013 or Mid 2014 15 inch Retina MacBook Pro. 

At the CES, January 2014, OWC unveiled its early PCIe SSD prototype built for MacBook Pro with Retina display 2013, MacBook Air 2013, and Mac Pro 2013 models. 
This would work for the Mid 2014 models, but OWC's PCIe SSD's are not yet available for purchase.

mahleu

• 500px
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2014, 05:52:39 am »

I may be interested in your Macbook Pro if you decide to sell.

graeme

« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2014, 04:32:31 pm »

Sorry to both bump & hijack this thread in one go.

I'm starting to consider a retina macbook pro as a replacement for my virtually dead mac pro. I was thinking of the 13" model with 16GB RAM & a 256GB SSD. I'd keep the bulk of my working files on an external thunderbolt SSD & have a 2 bay hard drive enclosure connected for older files & Time Machine backup. I'd also be using an NEC monitor as a main display & an old Cinema Display as a palletes monitor. Lightroom, Photoshop & Illustrator would be the main apps I'd be running.

I'm curious to know how well the integrated graphics on the 13"MBP would deal with this setup - in particular whether 2 external monitors & monitor rotation ( sometimes use the NEC in portrait mode ).

Any advice appreciated.

Graeme

MrSmith

« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2014, 07:00:30 pm »

go for the top 15in. more processing power and better graphics card. they weigh the same as an old non retina 13
if you are using it for retouching more than carrying it around then the 15in will be quicker and as files/sensors get bigger it will have a longer useful life.
unless they put 4-cores in a 13 i’ll be sticking with the 15’s
(i do a lot of retouching on 2-10gb layered files on mine plus a bit of FCPx and resolve (which needs a good graphics card))

jjj

• http://www.futtfuttfuttphotography.com
« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2014, 07:54:21 am »

Now I use the late 2013 Retina MacBook Pro with 1TB SSD. 2.3Ghz quad core i7, 16GB RAM with separate graphics card.
Never heard of using an external graphics card with a MBP until recently. Can you give some more info re this Hans, I've tried searching but didn't find much of use.
Tradition is the Backbone of the Spinele

Hans Kruse

• Hans Kruse Photography
« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2014, 07:59:06 am »

Never heard of using an external graphics card with a MBP until recently. Can you give some more info re this Hans, I've tried searching but didn't find much of use.

I did not say external graphics card :) On the high(er) end MBP 15" there are two graphics cards, one onboard and one separate. See http://www.apple.com/macbook-pro/specs-retina/ and the screen shot attached.

jjj

• http://www.futtfuttfuttphotography.com
« Reply #15 on: August 21, 2014, 09:41:16 am »

I did not say external graphics card :) On the high(er) end MBP 15" there are two graphics cards, one onboard and one separate. See http://www.apple.com/macbook-pro/specs-retina/ and the screen shot attached.
Ah, I did read about using external graphics cards via thunderbolt the other day and because you said separate graphics card that's what I thought you meant due to the crammed nature of the inside of a MBP.
Tradition is the Backbone of the Spinele

graeme

« Reply #16 on: August 23, 2014, 07:45:34 am »

go for the top 15in. more processing power and better graphics card. they weigh the same as an old non retina 13
if you are using it for retouching more than carrying it around then the 15in will be quicker and as files/sensors get bigger it will have a longer useful life.
unless they put 4-cores in a 13 i’ll be sticking with the 15’s
(i do a lot of retouching on 2-10gb layered files on mine plus a bit of FCPx and resolve (which needs a good graphics card))

Thanks for your advice Mr Smith, it helped me analyze what I wanted the laptop for. My needs are more modest than yours - I rarely work on files over 1GB & don't do video. The macbook will be an interim desktop replacement ( a couple of years ) & a longer term portable workhorse which will spend a lot of its' life in a dusty workshop being used for web, email, spreadsheets etc. I've ordered the 13" maxed out on Ram. I'll put a new thread up in a few weeks to let you all know how well the setup is working.

Graeme
Pages: [1]   Go Up