Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Moving from Epson to Canon  (Read 1251 times)

super_claret

Moving from Epson to Canon
« on: August 07, 2014, 06:27:56 pm »

I am considering moving from an Epson 7900 to a Canon IPF 8400 and wondered if there would be a noticeable difference in colour from prints produced on Innova IFA-14 on the Epson and the same media on the Canon?  Obviously, the media would be properly profiled on the new Canon, as it is on the Epson.

My business is producing ltd edition fine art prints for artists and my main concern is that there will be an obvious difference between prints already produced on the Epson, which my existing customers would pick up on.

Has anybody out there made the switch and if so, I'd be grateful of any feedback.

The reason for the switch is...you guessed it, nozzle clogs/head issues and Epsons quoted price of £1400 + VAT to fix it.

PeterAit

• Peter Aitken Photographs
Re: Moving from Epson to Canon
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2014, 09:33:27 am »

I can't answer your question, but you might use a gamut program like Color Think to examine the gamuts of the 2 printers with your preferred paper to see if there are any significant differences.

And, why not stay with Epson? You like the results, the customers like the results, and the fact is that a large % of 7900 users, myself included, run the printers for years without any serious problems. You were one of the few unlucky ones with the unit you have. With a new one you could get extended warranty, also. Just a thought.

super_claret

« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2014, 09:44:50 am »

Thanks for your reply Peter...I must admit, I'm tempted by the offer I've just received for a 9900!

Stefan Ohlsson

« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2014, 09:59:06 am »

I am considering moving from an Epson 7900 to a Canon IPF 8400 and wondered if there would be a noticeable difference in colour from prints produced on Innova IFA-14 on the Epson and the same media on the Canon?  Obviously, the media would be properly profiled on the new Canon, as it is on the Epson.

My business is producing ltd edition fine art prints for artists and my main concern is that there will be an obvious difference between prints already produced on the Epson, which my existing customers would pick up on.

Has anybody out there made the switch and if so, I'd be grateful of any feedback.

The reason for the switch is...you guessed it, nozzle clogs/head issues and Epsons quoted price of £1400 + VAT to fix it.
I wouldn't do that. I can't move a job from an Epson 7800 to an Epson x900 printer without adjusting the file, and I would guess that going from an Epson to a Canon requires much more. Since we bought an air humidifier we haven't had that much of a problem with clogging.

Jeff Magidson

• Artslides Digital Imaging
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2014, 10:36:20 am »

If you want side by side identical prints from the Epson & the Canon you will need to make some adjustments to the file, even with good custom profiles.

~ Jeff

~ Jeff Magidson
Custom Archival Printing
http://artslidesboston.com

JohnBrew

• http://www.johnbrewton.zenfolio.com
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2014, 11:00:01 am »

I'm happy with prints from my Epson 3880 and Canon 6400. Not much difference between the two, imo. Color might be a tad better with the Canon. A lot depends on the media and having a good profile.
Pages: [1]   Go Up