Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: going from Sacramento to lake Tahoe  (Read 5693 times)

millard

going from Sacramento to lake Tahoe
« on: August 07, 2014, 04:01:26 pm »

Hello,
I am an Easterner, going from Sacramento to Lake Tahoe, for a family reunion.  All this area is unknown territory.Any shooting sites suggestion along my route? I did see the mention of the railroad museum in Sacramento,which will be good to visit, not necessarily to shoot, however I  do see 2 national forest, Tahoe, and Eldorado which might give me some fodder. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated, as those forest cover a lot of ground. And of course, any other directions within 100 miles.
Regards,
Millard

maddogmurph

• Maddog's Photography
Re: going from Sacramento to lake Tahoe
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2014, 06:29:46 pm »

How much time do you have?  There are lots of sites in Tahoe to shoot.  There are forests in between, and hikes to mountain tops, lakes to explore.  Some you can drive to, others you'd have to hike.  You can drive to fallen leaf lake, emerald bay, hike to Maggies Peaks, Over look Cascade lake from the highway, Hike to Pyramid Peak, Drive to Echo Lake, Hike up to Tinkers Knob, spend the night in the Benson Hut, or go up the east side of the lake for a better sunset angle.
Maddog Murph
www.depictionsofbeauty.com
Mostly here for constructive feedback.

millard

« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2014, 10:13:58 am »

Hey Maddog,
Thanks for the info. I am now like a kid in a candy shop. Very Cool. What about the tall tree forests, not the redwoods, as I hear they are way up north.
Regards,
Millard

maddogmurph

• Maddog's Photography
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2014, 02:36:01 pm »

You'll not find the "Tall" tree forests.  If you decide to go over Carson pass there are some very interesting trees that are easy to photograph right off the Meiss Meadow and along the road at the pass.  You'll also get great views along Caples Lake, and as you go up of round top.  It wouldn't take long to veer off 50 to 89, then to 88 and go to Carson pass.  Last year that meadow was filled with purple irises, and these weird rodents called pick pockets or pic pens or something.  Beautiful meadow, a little bit of a climb to get up there.  Too late for flower season though I'd imagine.  Also an easy hike off Carson pass summit that is relatively high up and would provide you decent views.  Obviously some amazing photographs have come off the shore of lake Tahoe, you'll find the blue to be deeper than any blue you've likely seen in a lake.  Almost no waves though, so time lapse isn't particularly interesting, but if you could convince a power boat to drive by and stop down heavily you might be able to take some very interesting shoreline photographs.  Unfortunately you'll probably get clear skies which make for hazy photographs, and uninteresting skies.
Maddog Murph

millard

« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2014, 03:12:53 pm »

Hey Maddog,
Good info again. Aren't there sequoias over there? As far as hiking, I can't do because of medical reasons, even though I wish I could, as I am sure the best angles are the ones to hike to.
Thanks again,
Millard

langier

• Celebrating Rural America, the Balkans and beyond
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2014, 08:06:56 pm »

If you want to get to Lake Tahoe quickly and with traffic go via I-80 or US-50. Head via SR 16 to SR49 through the old gold rush towns then go up SR-88 to SR-89, the alpine highways. It will take a little longer but less traffic and the scenery is super!

You can go to www.touramador.com for details and see my photos of where I live along the way from Sacto to Tahoe or even Yosemite.

Have a great trip!
Larry Angier
ASMP, ACT, & many more! @sacred_icons
https://angier-fox.photoshelter.com

sierraman

« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2014, 10:41:58 pm »

Emerald Bay for sure at sunrise!

millard

« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2014, 12:34:06 pm »

Thanks Larry,
I was planning to go to the gold rush town, you must be psychic! Very cool. Thanks, and I will ck out your shots.
Regards,
Millard

millard

« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2014, 12:36:16 pm »

Hey Sierraman,
Your shot Rocks! I am looking forward to seeing Emerald Bay..I imagine that is next to Lake Tahoe?
Regards.
Millard

millard

« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2014, 12:40:14 pm »

Hey Larry again,
I had not checked out your link, great info. Did you do all those shots? If so, very very cool. ( I speak 50& 60's talk because I was there)lol.
Thanks again,
Millard

sierraman

« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2014, 04:40:47 pm »

Hey Sierraman,
Your shot Rocks! I am looking forward to seeing Emerald Bay..I imagine that is next to Lake Tahoe?
Regards.
Millard
It's on the South/West shore of the lake.

Isaac

« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2014, 11:17:29 pm »

« Last Edit: August 10, 2014, 11:16:48 am by Isaac »

millard

« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2014, 11:52:58 am »

Thanks Isaac.
Regards,
 Millard

langier

• Celebrating Rural America, the Balkans and beyond
« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2014, 07:10:51 pm »

Yes Millard. Most all the major photos on the Amador sight are from my ever expanding files. However, since I can't get it all, we do use other photos.  Enjoy your trip out her in the West.
Larry Angier
ASMP, ACT, & many more! @sacred_icons
https://angier-fox.photoshelter.com

maddogmurph

• Maddog's Photography
« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2014, 07:49:09 pm »

Emerald Bay for sure at sunrise!

Nice, haven't been out there for a cloudy sunrise, I'm going to add that to my list myself.  Did you find any good places on Tahoe for a sunset?  I feel like I'd have to go over to the East side of the lake for that, any suggestions?
Maddog Murph

telyt

« Reply #15 on: August 12, 2014, 12:38:24 am »

Nearest are Calaveras Big Trees.

The northernmost grove of Giant Sequoias is closer, along Mosquito Ridge Road, but it takes a bit of a walk (~5 min)  to see them

http://www.arounddonnersummit.com/places/placer_big_trees.html
Pages: [1]   Go Up