Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Derll u2410 rec 709? or srgb?  (Read 9337 times)

JohnJohic

Derll u2410 rec 709? or srgb?
« on: August 07, 2014, 03:34:18 pm »

Hi guys i got my self dell u2410 and i1desplay pro. I am  getting in to color correction for video for now just personal projects and i know this is not dedicated pro broadcast monitor but i am looking for best calibration. I have read so much on this monitor and color celebration specially TFT review on this monitor and on this forum. But since i am beginner i have few question i am also on mac pro 4.1

1- should i calibrate to rec 709, rgb or srgb
2- what is the best mode to use on u2410  for calibration standard?
3- And should i use different software or just use one that come with i1desplay pro and can you recommend one
4- 3d lut in tft review on this monitor it say that best result was from 3d lut from video card how is this accomplished?
5- how do i know my calibration was done right?

Thanks guys

Lundberg02

Re: Derll u2410 rec 709? or srgb?
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2014, 02:29:17 am »

The 2410 is wide gamut. Do two calibrations, one sRGB and one AdobeRGB1998, and use them appropriately.

JohnJohic

« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2014, 12:17:06 pm »

if i do two calibrations what mode should i use them in. I mean sRGB in sRGB and  AdobeRGB1998 in  AdobeRGB1998

Thanks

Lundberg02

« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2014, 04:28:28 pm »

Not sure what you mean by mode. Use sRGB for web work and ARGB for image processing.

D Fosse

« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2014, 07:24:41 pm »

I don't do video, but my understanding is that video is generally not color managed. That means you can't use a wide gamut monitor in its native state. You need to limit the gamut by setting the unit to either the sRGB or the Rec709 presets (the two have the same primaries).

Then you calibrate the normal way by choosing white point temperature and luminance, contrast/black point, and gamma. Rec709 has gamma 2.4, so if you want to follow that broadcast standard that's what you should set your gamma target to. Otherwise use 2.2.

In a color managed situation you also have a display profile, which is a detailed description of the monitor's response in its current state (calibrated or not). Using this profile, color managed applications will remap into the extended gamut of the monitor, so here you can use any monitor preset. It's always best, however, to use the native/custom setting so that the unit is not restricted in any way.

A display profile is just a description of the display's current behavior. It's not tied to any other color space than the monitor's own native, which doesn't have to match any of the standard spaces.

But if you change any monitor setting, that invalidates the profile. It is no longer a valid description of the monitor's current state. So then you need to make a new profile, or load one that corresponds to the new state.

shewhorn

• http://
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2014, 04:31:01 pm »

A quick warning about the U2410 (and PA246Q... I suspect they are both the exact same monitor or at least hired the same people to program the firmware and design the monitor LUT because they both have the EXACT same firmware bugs)... specifically, do not stray away from adjusting luminance. While it has a monitor LUT my testing found that making any changes in the UI (RGB levels) will introduce dramatically high dE levels. If you stick to the monitor's presets and only adjust the luminance you should be okay. Also with the U2410 I've noticed that after making a luminance adjustment it can take about 5 minutes before it stabilizes so... once you adjust it to hit your target luminance, walk away and wait for a bit, then double check it.

Cheers, Joe

rubencarmona

« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2014, 06:16:59 am »

I do photographic work and also film editing. I calibrated my monitor for AdobeRGB(1998) with a Spyder4Elite.

That works fine as I do film editing for mostly for web.

If you produce for TV or cinemas, check up what the end result's color space will be and calibrate to it. Eventually could be Rec709, which the Spyder4Elite also supports.

I suggest you to calibrate to AdobeRGB and set AdobeRGB on your Dell. sRGB is a color space that has very similar calibration targets. Therefore you can be sure you're working on the bigger color gamut.
Once you print, you can simply do a SoftProof to simulate smaller color spaces.

D Fosse

« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2014, 07:02:01 am »

Er...you don't calibrate to a specific color space. You calibrate to a set of targets - white point, contrast, gamma. Calibration doesn't and cannot change, or in any other way affect, the color space of the monitor. It is what it is.

Color space remapping can only happen in color managed applications, using the display profile, which is separate from and unrelated to the calibration. The display profile is just a description of the display's characteristics, but with much higher precision and using many more parameters than the calibration. Calibration is one-dimensional, the profile three-dimensional.

A wide gamut monitor can only be used in a fully color managed environment. It can be used without color management if it is set to emulate sRGB (in the monitor's OSD controls) - but then it is no longer a wide gamut monitor.

In a color managed situation the display should always be at native gamut. Not sRGB, not Adobe RGB. Both just restrict the unit unnecessarily.

(Edited for brevity and clarity)
« Last Edit: August 11, 2014, 08:54:31 am by D Fosse »

rubencarmona

« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2014, 06:37:02 am »

Er...you don't calibrate to a specific color space. You calibrate to a set of targets - white point, contrast, gamma. Calibration doesn't and cannot change, or in any other way affect, the color space of the monitor. It is what it is.

Of course. But these color space standards work best in specific calibration targets.

Like for example for AdobeRGB(1998) it's Gamma 2.2 and 6500K.

D Fosse

« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2014, 06:51:43 am »

White point targets are set to match your specific output, in your specific working environment. It has nothing to do with whatever color space your document is.

Gamma doesn't matter in a color managed environment. It gets remapped from one space into the other anyway. You just want to be close to monitor native, so that it behaves at its best.

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2014, 10:37:35 am »

Of course. But these color space standards work best in specific calibration targets.
Like for example for AdobeRGB(1998) it's Gamma 2.2 and 6500K.

No, in ICC aware applications like Photoshop, the display and it's calibration is divorced from the color space of the data you edit. There are two color spaces and the application's run fine and in now way do the two have to match in attributes.
See: http://www.ppmag.com/reviews/200403_rodneycm.pdf
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

Pictus

• Retouching
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2014, 07:14:06 pm »

Your mileage may vary, but...
Here the best way to calibrate the Dell U2410 is by altering the RGB gain values from the Hidden Factory Menu.
(Warning, before changing the default values, take a photo or write down the original values)

The Hidden Factory Menu is this

The reason to use the Hidden Factory Menu is because the Custom Color Mode is broken.
I suspect that for rec.709 the best preset to try in the U2410 is the sRGB.

I do not like the X-rite or  Datacolor software, my choice is the free and high quality Argyll+dispcalGUI, it also have rec.709.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2014, 08:55:43 pm by Pictus »

shewhorn

• http://
« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2014, 09:38:58 pm »

Yup... discovered the same bug when I tested the Dell a while back. In my testing I also found that the Asus PA246Q has the *EXACT* same bug. I suspect at the very least that Dell and Asus contract the same folks for the firmware but it's also possible that they're the exact same monitor.

mattmikulla

« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2015, 01:29:23 pm »

I am pretty confused about this whole process. It seems that there isn't one place that lays out the exact instructions on calibrating this display. Just breadcrumbs everywhere.

Do I reset the monitor to it's default settings?

What do I alter in the factory settings?

Do I need to set the monitor to sRGB in the factory settings panel?

I'm using a Colormunki Display for calibration of my u2410.

Can someone please layout the step by step instructions for this process?

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2015, 04:13:37 pm »

Can someone please layout the step by step instructions for this process?
You can set the display to factory defaults but the key is the correct targets for calibration to achieve whatever your goal is for that display. You want to match a print? You want to emulate sRGB? That's the first item to address. Then:
http://www.luminous-landscape.com/tutorials/why_are_my_prints_too_dark.shtml
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".
Pages: [1]   Go Up