Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Tip for Traveling with Tripod  (Read 1608 times)

S. Schmidt

Tip for Traveling with Tripod
« on: August 06, 2014, 08:22:22 am »

In preparing for an upcoming trip, I was concerned about traveling with a tripod packed in a medium-size duffel bag with clothes, etc. because of damage either to the threaded mount or damage that the threaded mount might cause to the bag or contents. Because the folded length of the tripod with the head mounted is too long for the duffel bag I will be using, I found a 3/8" - 16 hex nut cap at Home Depot that screws onto the threaded mount of the tripod. The metal cap can be put on and taken off by hand, and it should prevent any damage to the tripod mount or the duffel bag. I plan to pack my tripod in a standard zippered pillow protector to provide some protection to the surface of the tripod as well as keeping it separate from other items packed for travel. The 3/8" - 16 hex nut cap is sold two to a package for about $0.60 each.

P.S. Check out www.Redoxx.com for excellent U.S.A. made travel duffel bags and luggage.

Kevin Raber

• Kevin Raber
    • Kevin Raber
Re: Tip for Traveling with Tripod
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2014, 08:45:12 am »

I have traveled all over the world with my tripod in my duffle.  I use either the Arca Cube head or the RRS 55 head.  The tripod fits perfectly in my duffles.  I take an old hotel towel that found its way into my bag once. (not sure how) and wrap the tripod with that.  If I leave the head on I wrap the head prior to wrapping in the towel with a standard large lens wrap.  Both the towel and lens wrap will come in handy when you get to your destination. 

As far as duffles go I used to blow through them like there was no tomorrow.  So after a lot of research I invested in some not so cheap bags but ones that have lasted and lasted.  I ended up with the whole system from Club Glove.  They have excellent packing systems, great interlocking pieces for getting though airports and they are tougher than nails.  Well worth the investment.   http://www.clubglove.com/CG/ViewProdcss3XTRS-2.asp?ProductID=16

Also, good idea to make sure you have the alan wrenches for your tripod and other tools so you can tighten legs, or work on your tripod or other gear.  I place all my tools in a small case in a checked oin bag as TSA sometimes frowns on the transportation of deadly Alan Wrenches in you carry on bags.

Kevin Raber
Kevin Raber
kwr@rabereyes.com
kevin@photopxl.com
rockhopperworkshops.com
photopxl.com

NancyP

« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2014, 10:23:55 am »

deadly allen wrenches?????????? A pencil or pen is more deadly.

Ellis Vener

• http://www.ellisvener.com
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2014, 02:47:27 pm »

That pesky Alan Wrenches guy is always causes problems wherever he goes,  but hexagonal Allen wrenches never do.

David Sutton

• David Sutton Photography
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2014, 06:46:53 pm »

Travelling through transit security at Sydney airport a few years ago, a friend wasn't allowed two Allen keys in her carry-on. What made it worse was that the "security" fellow smirked as he carried off his prize.

ripgriffith

• ripsart.com
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2014, 07:29:51 am »

I take an old hotel towel that found its way into my bag once. (not sure how) and wrap the tripod with that.
Kevin Raber
Funny thing about those hotel  towels; I had one find its way into my bag quite recently (not sure how, either) :)

SeanBK

« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2014, 02:51:02 pm »

I FedEx tripod to local FedEx office nearest to the airport. Ballhead stays w/ me in duffle.Never had a problem & cost is not much.
Pages: [1]   Go Up