Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Best reasonable wide format printer for printing on Canvas Media for Canvas Art?  (Read 4368 times)

Printingguyz

Hello guys Ive read so so much about printers and printing canvas art and this brand is better then this brand.  But I never know whats true and false and paid postings etc..  Im looking to be able to print my work and goto shows every week, also sell on my website. Size I need is 36 Inch to 44 Inch anything inbetween is fine.  Please help me give me any advice you may have for me searching for a good printer which isnt 6k-10k.  Im looking for something lower then that price range. My budget is 2k-4k  Thanks anyone who can advise me on some brands and models.  Also if you know any good places to buy solid used equipment.  Thanks for the help!  :)
« Last Edit: August 04, 2014, 02:40:34 pm by Printingguyz »

hugowolf

What width: 17", 24", 44", or 60"?

Brian A

Printingguyz

Looking for something around 36 inch to 44 inch, anything inbetween aswell.

Garnick

I use only Epson printers and the sizes are as stated by Brian above - 17, 24, 44 and 60".  Canon or HP may vary, but I believe that as far as width is concerned they are all much the same.  Of course you will find quite a variation in opinion as far as quality, ease of use and other variables concerning the three major brands, and that's to be expected.  We all have to make the same sort of decisions based on what we read, what we believe and what we can afford.  Take most of what you read here and perhaps on other forums as anecdotal for the most part.  Having said that, I will unequivocally state that in my "opinion" this forum stands far above others in the quality and experience of its members and their contributions.  Again, my opinion!  Am I biased, absolutely!    

Gary
« Last Edit: August 04, 2014, 05:16:03 pm by Garnick »
Gary N.
"My memory isn't what it used to be. As a matter of fact it never was." (gan)

Mike Guilbault

• Mike Guilbault Photography

Gary is correct.. this is the best forum for information about printing, but also that you'll get widely varying opinions on the brands.  Personally, I use the Epson 4900 for 17" work, mostly on lustre type paper (it's set up for photo black ink) and the 9900 for up to 44" using mostly matte black ink as the default for textured matte papers and canvas. I love them both. The 4900 has caused me a few headaches, but keeps on working as does the 9900 which has been less troublesome and a pleasure to work with.  As you'll read in these forums, YMMV - and that goes for any brand. 

They are all good, but what I would consider is what kind of service can you get on it if you have one.  In other words, if you purchase an Epson, a Canon or HP, where is the nearest service centre?  Do they perform on-site service?  I stand behind my Epsons, but recommended a Canon to another photographer because the service network was better where they lived.  You may also want to check on availability of ink and media.  I can get all my Epson ink and paper right across the street from my studio.  Breathing Color canvas I have to order in, but could pick it up if need be.  Check on those things before settling in on a brand.
Mike Guilbault

hugowolf

I'd look at the Canon ipf8400, Canon ipf8450, Epson 9890, and Epson 9900. They are all 44" printers. I'd look for rebates on all of them, which are frequent.

There really isn't much point at buying any at full price.

Brian A

jtunney

I've used both Epson and Canon large format printers. Price-wise, Canon seems a little more aggressive on discounting. I recently purchased a Canon ipf8400 (44" wide) for $3k after a rebate. Both brands produce excellent prints. I find the Epson paper loading system a little easier, but not so much so that it would make or break a deal. I have had nozzle clogging problems with the Epson, but not the Canon. Again, though, not so much that it would be a deal breaker.

John
John

John Tunney Photography
www.jtunney.com
Four Seasons of Cape Cod

chez

I've purchased both my Z3100 24" & 44" printers used and both have worked flawlessly. No clogging issues. I use BC canvas and the printers / paper produce beautiful results. Unless you print basically daily, I'd think twice about an Epson large format as they are made to be used a lot. I can truly recommend an HP printer if you are not a high volume printer.

BobDavid

You can cross out the 9900 and 7900. The orange and green inks are not going to have any discernible effect on photo output on canvas--even if you're doing fine art reproduction. The orange and greens are intended for proofing print and package design where PMS matching is critical. I once had a 9900 and the orange and green carts were just an extra added headache. Either one would clog due to minimal use, especially the orange. The 7890 and 9890 are fine machines. You will avoid clogging issues if you print at least a picture five out of seven days a week.

Robert Ardill

• Images of Ireland

I've had an Epson 4000 and a 4800 and an HPZ3100 (24").  The 4000 was a nightmare with head clogs (even after getting the head replaced ... eventually ended up on a dump). The 4800 was better, but still problematic.  The HP has performed flawlessly for 6 years.  I don't print on canvas, but I do print on cotton rag and I would never go back to an Epson unless I was printing a lot and only on photo paper (not matte cotton rag, like the Hahnemuhle, because the dust off the paper and any head crash is a disaster on the heads).  A big advantage of the HP (and presumably the Canon) is that head replacement is easy and cheap (not that I have had to replace any of the heads on my printer). I've also had no ink waste with the HP, whereas I had to do regular nozzle checks and head cleaning on the Epsons.

Another big advantage of the HP, for me, was the built-in spectrometer for calibration and profiling.

Apart from that ... I could see very little difference in the print quality between these printers, they are/were all excellent.

Robert
Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it. - George Santayana
Pages: [1]   Go Up