Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Looking for a bag  (Read 17623 times)

Lisa Nikodym

• http://www.stanford.edu/~melkor/lisa_pictures/lisa_pictures.html
Looking for a bag
« Reply #20 on: October 06, 2005, 11:27:45 am »

From the looks of this thread, photographers will just need to be born with an additional piece of anatomy strong enough to hold the bag without discomfort and conveniently enough located to reach in and grab whatever the moment requires. Any thoughts on design and location?

I've already got one, and it works excellently.  It's called a strong (and kindly) spouse.  :laugh:

Lisa
[url=http://www.stanford.edu/~melkor/lis

tshort

Looking for a bag
« Reply #21 on: November 11, 2005, 05:29:12 pm »

I am finding it difficult to comprehend that this problem has not been solved! I ordered my 20D and lenses all at once, and figured I might as well get a bag to haul it all around in, rather than just jam it into my backpack (which I do like since it has a laptop slot).

So I ordered the Canon backpack, after reading rave reviews about it.  It fit everything including the laptop (ok, sort of - not a padded slot, and hard on the back).  But the straps were not well designed, and dug into my shoulders.

Sent that back. Ordered Kata R-103 - rave reviews from users - how could I go wrong?  Easy.  No waist strap, incredibly stiff back, and actually stiff, altho very high quality, construction and zips.  Sent it back.

Now am looking at some bags from here: http://www.naneupro.com/

Not clear that they're going to do the job, either.  All I want to carry is my 20D w/ 24-105, 50 mm, 70-200L, film body, tc, and maybe a flash.  And maybe a very thin laptop.  How hard could this be? How unique could this be?

The backpack companies - Kelty, North Face, etc - don't seem to know that photogs exist.  They'd be the ones who could produce something ergonomically correct for us.  And the photo bag makers don't seem to know that our backs exist  .

Unbelievable.  Will be interested to see what you come up with, Pom.  (Btw, ain't it grand to have the board back??)
-T
Wisconsin

francois

Looking for a bag
« Reply #22 on: November 12, 2005, 06:38:22 am »

I've been testing a Think Tank Photo beltpack and it's the first one I'm satisfied with. I use it with the included shoulder strap. I can easily stuff a 1D serie body (with RSS L-Plate) + lens , a 70-200 or 100-400 lens and a few other accessories (converter, flash, polarizer filter etc.). The shoulder strap allows me to rotate the bag on my hips.
Francois

mikeseb

• http://www.michaelsebastian.com
Looking for a bag
« Reply #23 on: November 12, 2005, 08:51:53 am »

I am finding it difficult to comprehend that this problem has not been solved! .... How unique could this be?

If it's any consolation, the answers are 1) I'm not! and 2) Not very! This topic is a perennial favorite on just about any photo discussion board.

I made my first airline trip recently (to Michael's Toronto Brickworks workshop--fabulous BTW) with my Contax 645 system. I faced exactly your dilemma. I looked at every pack or bag I could find online, and laid hands on as many of them as I could in local photo stores--selection is not great unfortunately. I was still looking the day before departure, finally decided to stuff everything I could into the LowePro Mini Trekker backpack that usually houses my D70 gear. I carried it on just fine--fi great in overheads--but it was still heavy and its relatively small size (for a MF system) meant that I had to leave behind a couple of lenses that I really could have used.

I think a backpack is best for walkabout photography but it is hampered by weight (if very light, not much padding) and by accessiblity (gotta sling it off to get at stuff and it tends to spill open). If I could get hands on a belt system like that Think Tank Photo someone else mentioned I'd like to try it myself, though they aren't designed for MF systems, as an email to TTP confirmed.

Good luck. When you find the perfect bag, order two and I'll send a check!

michael sebast

Ben Rubinstein

Looking for a bag
« Reply #24 on: November 12, 2005, 02:15:16 pm »

I bought the Lowepro Slingshot 200, couldn't be happier.

It's holding my DSLR + grip, 24-105L, 70-200L, 85mm, 28mm (contax, not bought yet but plenty room for it), Kata Rain cover, hurricane blower, mosquito net, gloves, maglite, 2 filters, 9 CF cards, 2 extra batteries, Whibal, cable release and hotshoe spirit level.

There's still room for a bit more, if I leave out the rain cover or gloves (or the 2 primes) then I can fit a flash or backup body. There are very good and strong attachment points (4 in total) for S&F acessories such as pouches or lens pouches though I don't need them at present. You could even use on of the points for a monopod.

Did I mention that its very small, not at all bulky like the backpacks are and far lighter when empty, fits very comfortably and has a second strap to keep the single strap from bouncing, and is as well made as any lowepro pack. It comes with the usual Lowepro rain cover.

The quick opening system for street shooting is very cool, it also means that even with tripod shooting you don't need to open your entire bag, or take it off your back even to set up, assuming you have the right lens attached. This saves time, and more importantly saves you finding somewhere stable to put your bag and shield it from the elements as you open it.

I'm extremely happy with it.

yoni

• http://www.lighttrace.com
Looking for a bag
« Reply #25 on: November 12, 2005, 09:46:39 pm »

I recently purchased this bag and I find it to be very useful. I have used an assortment of bags over the years including another sling bag, the velocity 7. The AW200 is a much better built and significantly larger bag. I am using it with a 5D (no grip, though a grip would fit), 100-400, 17-40, 50, 28-135, and 550EX. Additional odds and ends are also accommodated. Does not look like a camera bag, a good think since I rarely am without my camera! Very comfortable, quick on the draw, and very secure. I highly recommend it.

yoni

• http://www.lighttrace.com
Looking for a bag
« Reply #26 on: November 12, 2005, 09:49:59 pm »

I forgot to mention that it actually does not appear to be that large. Its about the size of a regular knap sack.

www.lighttrace.com

lester_wareham

• http://www.zen20934.zen.co.uk/
Looking for a bag
« Reply #27 on: November 13, 2005, 05:50:16 am »

I tried a belt system, it kept pulling my trousers down and when I mentioned the idea of shoulder straps my wife put her foot down and said that I was not allowed to look like an idiot! The belt will go on ebay when I get a second!
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=50868\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Yes they do that. I do use a sholder strap which does not completly solve this issue. My wife does not seem to mind me looking like an idiot - perhaps having the bag is enough and a strap is only a small increment in the idiot level!

So you went for the slingshot. I am interested in that. But I get the impression one has very lmited acess without puting the bag flat on the floor which is rather like a backpack.

How much of the insides can you get to in the on sholder position.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2005, 05:56:07 am by lester_wareham »

Ben Rubinstein

Looking for a bag
« Reply #28 on: November 13, 2005, 06:48:21 am »

You can take out and put back the camera with lens attached (easily). Better than a backpack, less accessable than a shoulder bag but then it's not intended to be one. When I'm shooting weddings with more than one lens I attach a  lowepro lens case to my belt and the rest of my gear around my various pockets. I also have a lowepro pouch that gives me fast access to cards, batteries, Whibal, etc. For that kind of fast paced shooting no bag is really good enough, especially when working fast and in tight spaces.

lester_wareham

Looking for a bag
« Reply #29 on: November 14, 2005, 03:50:53 am »

Looking at the internal dimensions of the Slingshot 200 I just could not get enough kit in, I guess I'll have to wait for the Slingshot 300!

Ben Rubinstein

Looking for a bag
« Reply #30 on: November 14, 2005, 06:04:54 am »

Lester, don't believe the dimensions, seriously. I thought the same as you until someone posted up photos with the bag stuffed with all the gear I needed. Tell me what you need to fit in and I'll tell you whether it works.

For example both the 70-200 f4L and 24-70/105 can be stored in one of the upright lens slots and don't need to be lain down. According to the specs that's impossible but it's what I'm doing. Doesn't even strain the bag/zip.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2005, 06:06:37 am by pom »

lester_wareham

Looking for a bag
« Reply #31 on: November 14, 2005, 07:16:15 am »

Lester, don't believe the dimensions, seriously. I thought the same as you until someone posted up photos with the bag stuffed with all the gear I needed. Tell me what you need to fit in and I'll tell you whether it works.

For example both the 70-200 f4L and 24-70/105 can be stored in one of the upright lens slots and don't need to be lain down. According to the specs that's impossible but it's what I'm doing. Doesn't even strain the bag/zip.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=51244\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

OK what I have is 20D (plan for 5D upgrade in a few years), 200mm f2.8L, 100mm f2.8 Macro USM, 50mm f1.4 all with hoods, 10-22mm, 17-40mm f4L (soon) + batts and filters, grey card and other odds and ends. No flash at present but plan for MT-24EX sometimes.

tshort

Looking for a bag
« Reply #32 on: November 14, 2005, 10:40:38 am »

I recently purchased this bag and I find it to be very useful.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=51150\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Ummm....which bag??
-T
Wisconsin

llama

• http://www.uncommonpear.com/
Looking for a bag
« Reply #33 on: November 14, 2005, 02:32:13 pm »

You can take out and put back the camera with lens attached (easily).

Pom,

Can you do that with the 70-200? Do you have the f/4 or f/2.8? I have the f/2.8 and would love to know if you can do this with the 2.8 version.

Also, you mentioned posted pics of loaded bag. Do you have a link?

Ben Rubinstein

Looking for a bag
« Reply #34 on: November 15, 2005, 06:04:19 am »

Lester: it's going to be tight unless you put one lens in the top pouch or put all the hoods in the top. Do you  have any stores nearby that you could try it out on?

The 70-200 f4L stores upright in the bag, the 70-200 f2.8 will store lying on it's side with one flap loose. The picture the guy showed me was of the 10D + grip and a 80-200L attached to camera, I saw the picture but not sure how he did it, it would have been tight though possible.

Sorry I've lost the link.

lester_wareham

Looking for a bag
« Reply #35 on: November 15, 2005, 07:33:52 am »

Lester: it's going to be tight unless you put one lens in the top pouch or put all the hoods in the top. Do you  have any stores nearby that you could try it out on?

The 70-200 f4L stores upright in the bag, the 70-200 f2.8 will store lying on it's side with one flap loose. The picture the guy showed me was of the 10D + grip and a 80-200L attached to camera, I saw the picture but not sure how he did it, it would have been tight though possible.

Sorry I've lost the link.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=51334\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Pom, thanks for the feedback. Yes you are right I need to look at it.

The trouble is finding someone in the wilds of Hampshire that carries stock. Since moving there from London I have become best friends with Amazon et al!.  

Perversly I work in London now but in the city with most of the shops in the west end. Also I don't want to drag my kit in on the commuter train.

I'll be in a local town doing XMAS shopping soon and will see if any of the local shops have stock.

But I don't hold out much hope, previous experience suggests it is easier to just get the thing on spec and hope for the best.  

Can you describe the access to the top pouch, I can't work out how that works from the web.

Thanks.

JKSeidel

• http://www.naturevisionimaging.com
Looking for a bag
« Reply #36 on: November 15, 2005, 08:16:00 am »

Hi,
Just wondering if a 20D with a 100-400mm L on it will fit in the SlingShot 200?
« Last Edit: November 15, 2005, 08:16:34 am by JKSeidel »
Jeffrey
 "Squirrels are just rats with be

Ben Rubinstein

Looking for a bag
« Reply #37 on: November 15, 2005, 10:53:51 am »

Guys, I can only tell you relative to what I have. The bag as seen on the lowepro website has room for an SLR with lens and then on either side of the lens, 2 compartments, split in half. In one compartement I can fit the 70-200 f4L standing up, and a 85mm 1.8, it follows that you would be able to do the same thing on the other side. I can fit the camera with 70-200 f4L attached and have seen a photo of a 80-200L attached. When I get a second I'll try and take some photos.

lester_wareham

Looking for a bag
« Reply #38 on: November 18, 2005, 11:40:58 am »

I just ordered a Sligshot 200 which arived today on spec.

First thoughts were it was a bit small. However almost everything fitted in (just) although I had to put the larger lens hoods in the top compartment and it is quite a squeeze. The only thing I could not find a place for was the small ground sheet I carry to limit the wallowing in the mud factor for low shots.

I can just fit the 200mm f2.8L upright which helps a lot.

I'll put some pics up as it may help others.

There are three sliplock locations on the bag so I guess you could add more stuff but a 300W would be welcome.

I have not used it in anger yet and only tried it out over lunch.

Lester

JKSeidel

• http://www.naturevisionimaging.com
Looking for a bag
« Reply #39 on: November 18, 2005, 09:07:32 pm »

The only thing I could not find a place for was the small ground sheet I carry to limit the wallowing in the mud factor for low shots.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=51625\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Have you tried using a space blanket? I carry one around all the time. They usually have a silver reflective side and a red side. They fold up to extremely small dimensions for their size (mine folds to barely larger than a pack of Kleenex). Not only can they be used as a ground cloth, but also as a reflector (silver side) and even as an emergency weather cover. Also, they are relatively inexpensive, so no need to worry about wear and tear.
Jeffrey
 "Squirrels are just rats with be
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up