Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: What is theis white line?  (Read 6006 times)

mdijb

• mdiimaging.com
What is theis white line?
« on: August 03, 2014, 11:02:13 pm »

Image A is a screen shot of the Raw image from a shot taken with the Sony A6000.  THere is a faint white edge that appears along the mountain edge against the sky that becomes more visible as post processing is done, which is shown in Image B. This white line become very visible as post processing continues.

What is this white line, where does it come from and how can it be eliminated--it really ruins the images because it is so visible??

MDIJB
mdiimaging.com

pfigen

• http://www.peterfigen.com
Re: What is theis white line?
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2014, 12:27:23 am »

It looks like a sharpening halo. Try processing a version with the sharpening off and see if it goes away.

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2014, 02:21:25 am »

It looks like a sharpening halo. Try processing a version with the sharpening off and see if it goes away.

I agree, it looks like a 'sharpening' halo (radius too large), or a low quality clarity control that's set too high.

Cheers,
Bart
== If you do what you did, you'll get what you got. ==

Lundberg02

« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2014, 06:28:03 pm »

Hello, Peter, nice to see you posting!

mdijb

• mdiimaging.com
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2014, 08:12:24 pm »

Attached is another image with this white line.  The image is a raw file, No sharpening or clarity has been applied in LR.

What is confusing is that another image taken just a minute earlier and no such line appears--this phenomenon is  NOT consistently observed

MDIJB
« Last Edit: August 05, 2014, 08:14:12 pm by mdijb »
mdiimaging.com

louoates

• Lou Oates Photography
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2014, 08:19:05 pm »

First thing to come to mind are your camera settings. Make sure all camera adjustments are "0" or "neutral. That's for saturation, sharpening, and any other fancy settings your camera seems to be setting. When in doubt re-set to factory default, then check again the in-camera settings.
I don't use LR but you might check for any auto settings you might have set there by mistake.

Geraldo Garcia

• Personal blog
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2014, 10:53:46 pm »

Definitely looks like a sharpening halo.
As far as I know on-camera sharpening settings and other adjustments are valid only to JPEGs and not relevant to RAW files.
If you say the file was not sharpened... the only other thing that comes to my mind is a terrible chromatic aberration that was automatically desaturated during the raw conversion leaving the white halo. It has to be pretty bad to cause something like that.

Glenn NK

« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2014, 01:08:34 am »

First thing to come to mind are your camera settings. Make sure all camera adjustments are "0" or "neutral. That's for saturation, sharpening, and any other fancy settings your camera seems to be setting. When in doubt re-set to factory default, then check again the in-camera settings.
I don't use LR but you might check for any auto settings you might have set there by mistake.

A quite common problem is a preset that is applied that we are unaware of - it was a recent question/answer on Tim Grey's letter.

But it still looks like a a sharpening problem (which could occur accidentally in a preset).
Economics:  the study of achieving infinite growth with finite resources

Fred Salamon

« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2014, 03:02:59 am »

I think it might be caused by complimentary colors creating a border.
I would reference page 218 of The Digital Print, a wonderful book by Jeff Schewe.
Mr Schewe gives a much better explanation than I can.

Eyeball

« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2014, 06:17:20 am »

That last posted images almost looks like an adjustment brush has been applied to the sky with the auto-mask option turned on.  At any rate, it looks like some special processing is being done besides just an LR develop with neutral/zeroed settings.
I do get the impression that LR tends to have more glitches with non-Canon and -Nikon cameras so I guess it could be a bug related to that particular camera.
Giving us access to a raw file that is demonstrating this behavior would allow more meaningful feedback.

mdijb

• mdiimaging.com
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2014, 10:14:14 pm »

I did  some more analysis and what you describe is what i see happening.  The edge white appears after using an adjustment brush or applying a gradient adjustment in LR.  Adding sharpening or clarity before these adjustments do not seem to cause these white lines, but after these the white lines appear and get emphasized.

I looked at the teh Shewe book and Page 218 refers to Sharpening and sending the image for printing.  I see no reference about processing before sending an image to print.

MDIJB
« Last Edit: August 06, 2014, 10:25:23 pm by mdijb »
mdiimaging.com

pluton

« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2014, 03:31:02 am »

You want to see it get really bad?
Just go into the color adjustment controls and turn the blue luminance way down.

Glenn NK

« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2014, 10:42:42 pm »

I did  some more analysis and what you describe is what i see happening.  The edge white appears after using an adjustment brush or applying a gradient adjustment in LR.  Adding sharpening or clarity before these adjustments do not seem to cause these white lines, but after these the white lines appear and get emphasized.

I looked at the teh Shewe book and Page 218 refers to Sharpening and sending the image for printing.  I see no reference about processing before sending an image to print.

MDIJB

After reading your comments, I checked a few of my images that use the brush - I have same "brightness" around areas that weren't brushed.

Glenn
Economics:  the study of achieving infinite growth with finite resources

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2018, 10:25:37 am »

Attached is another image with this white line.  The image is a raw file, No sharpening or clarity has been applied in LR...

There is no way it is an unprocessed raw file.

Farmer

« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2018, 05:11:47 pm »

Yep.  Need to look at the "default" settings in whatever is being used to produce the viewable image - somewhere in there is a level of sharpening, most likely , that is doing this.
Phil Brown

saiguy

« Reply #15 on: July 29, 2018, 09:47:08 am »

Auto Mask in LR is not very precise. Try painting wide at the mountain edge without auto, then erase from the mountain side using auto.

Doug Gray

« Reply #16 on: July 29, 2018, 10:48:30 am »

Yep, pretty strong sharpening, There is also significant "local contrast" sharpening. That's something like 20% with a very large radius of 50 to 200 pixels. It can be quite pleasing on many photos but makes this one look odd with the gradual increase in L* near the mountain ridge in addition to the over sharpening at the boundary. No idea what is going on here but no way is it direct from a raw image w/o processing.

nirpat89

• Photography by Niranjan Patel
« Reply #17 on: July 29, 2018, 12:48:24 pm »

This is a 4 year old thread....just in case.

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #18 on: July 29, 2018, 01:45:38 pm »

This is a 4 year old thread....just in case.

Ha, thanks!

That's funny. Looks like I unintentionally revived it. But how?

2-3 days ago, a list of new posts included an intriguing (for me) title, rather similar to "What is this white line." I opened it and it contained a description of the problem, but no images. The post had only one reply, by Mark D Segal, who simple noted that the pictures are missing.

A day or two later, I remembered it and thought, hmmm, the OP must have added pictures by now, let me check. It was nowhere to be found among recent posts, so I tried searching for "white line" in titles, and got this thread.

Or maybe someone was trying to gaslight me ;)

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
« Reply #19 on: July 29, 2018, 02:11:03 pm »

The image is a raw file, No sharpening or clarity has been applied in LR.
There is always *some* sharpening applied here, even if the tool is set to zero. Why not upload and let other's view it in differing raw converters or try examining the 'default' rendering in another raw converter (Not Adobe's): Line still there?
Also you MUST examine this at 1:1 (100%) not zoomed out for an accurate preview. Zoom in, still see it?
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up