Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Fall Color In New Hampshire/Vermont  (Read 4609 times)

John Hollenberg

Fall Color In New Hampshire/Vermont
« on: October 01, 2005, 11:56:11 pm »

I will be going to New Hampshire/Vermont area to shoot Fall Color for the second time.  Last year drove through central Vermont, spent time in White Mountains of New Hampshire, and went to Maine coast to see lighthouses.  Had a fantastic trip last year (Kettle Pond, Vermont):

Trip is October 7-15.  Last year colors were near peak in the White Mountains at this time, but it looks like the whole area is running about a week behind schedule this year.  My thought is the "Great North Woods" area of New Hampshire, with forays into Vermont and Maine, and perhaps Quebec.  It looks like color may be be peaking there during our stay.

Looking for suggestions on areas to go and specific towns to stay in.

--John

paulbk

« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2005, 05:41:25 pm »

John,
Depending on your time available and final destination, consider this:

1) Vermont Rt. 7 north to Burlington. Take as many side roads as you like. The color is in the Champlain valley, VT-NY border. More maples there.

2) Take the ferry from Burlington across Lake Champlain to Port Kent, NY.

3) From Port Kent -- 373 to Rt. 9 South, up the AuSable River valley to Wilmington. Could be spectacular. The Ausable is a famous trout area.

4) From Wilmington -- Rt. 86 into Lake Placid. You are now in the high country of the Adirondacks.

5) From Lake Placid -- Rt. 73 down through Keene Valley... stop at Cascade Lakes.

Return to points south on I-87.

Spend a night in Lake Placid or Burlington, but book NOW. They fill fast...!
paul b.k.
New England, USA

John Hollenberg

« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2005, 06:55:32 pm »

Paul,

Thanks for a very good suggestion.  I know nothing about that area.  I was surprised when I found that the drive from Boston (where we are flying into) to Burlington is only 3.5 hours per Mapquest.  We will check this out.

--John

DonWeston

« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2005, 08:03:22 am »

Was up in south and central Vermont this weekend. You should know that the color is about 2 weeks behind what it usually is this time of year. Locals feel this is mostly due to the warm and prolonged summer weather. Color was about 5-10% peak on Sat and Sund. We were blessed with great light and beautiful scenery. Still shot 200 images.

madmanchan

• Web
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2005, 08:24:16 am »

I was in central New Hampshire yesterday (Franconia Notch State Park) and the leaves there are mostly golden, i.e. early stage.  In the early morning or late afternoon, they are simply radiant.

I fully expect things to move along quickly with the sustained colder night temperatures that we're getting now, and I expect next weekend (Oct 8-9) to be a great time to catch peak color.

Eric
Eric Chan

John Hollenberg

« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2005, 10:45:30 pm »

Eric and Don,

Thanks for the input.  I knew the color was at least one week behind, two is a bit surprising to me.  I figure that I will go further North if not enough color in the White Mountains area to Great North Woods.  Any specific ideas of places to go further North?  I was thinking of Colebrook, but haven't been that far North so don't know what it is like.  The Adirondack mountains in New York are also a possibility.

--John

paulbk

« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2005, 06:44:48 am »

John,
If you go to the far north of New Hampshire, consider staying at The Glen.

The Glen
118 Glen Road
Pittsburg, NH 03592

I've stayed there. Very remote, good food, and lots of moose.
paul b.k.
New England, USA

Bellavance

« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2005, 11:21:13 am »

Pages: [1]   Go Up