Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: ImagePrint 9 bug?  (Read 5019 times)

Stefan Ohlsson

Re: ImagePrint 9 bug? Nope...
« Reply #20 on: August 05, 2014, 08:53:10 am »

Excellent. I have a 4900. Thanks for the heads up on sticking with ProPhoto
With a 4900, you have a gamut that is more than double the size of the colour gamut of a C-print. Also compared to Adobe RGB, you can see that there are a lot of yellow and green colours that can be printed, but isn't included in Adobe RGB.

Michael Lloyd

• Random Pixel Generator
    • Wild Light Imaging
Re: ImagePrint 9 bug? Nope...
« Reply #21 on: August 05, 2014, 09:06:36 am »

With a 4900, you have a gamut that is more than double the size of the colour gamut of a C-print. Also compared to Adobe RGB, you can see that there are a lot of yellow and green colours that can be printed, but isn't included in Adobe RGB.

Thanks again.

I'm not happy that I put the IP people through the wringer but I'm glad I made this post. Finally... a place that knows printing. Believe it or not, that's hard to find. I've taken two of John Paul Caponigro's printing workshops, which were invaluable, but sometimes I need a place to bounce things off of people.
Remove the dark slide before starting the exposure.

Georgecp

Re: ImagePrint 9 bug?
« Reply #22 on: August 08, 2014, 07:09:27 pm »

Mike,

Another IP V9 happy user here...I went with the program after testing it earlier this year.  I was tired of changing color management workflow with all of the epson/apple/adobe interaction issues as their drivers/operating systems/applications evolve around loose color management standards.  I was surprised when I tested IP on trial that the prints were definitely better to my eye; especially the quarter tones that were fuller bodied and had more detail and presence.  I also went the extra step to make my own profile using the image print driver and I1profiler and the prints are even better and the best on-screen match for soft proof that I have ever had.  I use an Epson 4900 with Cone HDR inks.

A note on workflow; I purchased, and used, the "Print through application - PTA" that you referenced for printing from lightroom.  I found I had better results setting up image print as an "edit in" option in LR specifying a 16 bit file and prophoto conversion working space.  The "edit in" workflow for some reason had a better color conversion than the Print through application.  After speaking with IP tech support they explained that the PTA option using lightroom has to convert through Srgb (for some technical reason) which is an 8-bit, more narrow, colorspace.  I don't want to go down an 8-bit/16-bit or colorspace rabbit hole; just wanted to point out the "edit in" option from lightroom to IP is a very fluid workflow that yields the best looking prints I have had after some experimentation of the best way to use the software.

I am still learning but very happy with the print quality I am getting..finally..  They do one thing, and in my opinion, do it the best of any option I have tried.

Regards,
George

robgo2

• Robert Goldstein Photography
Re: ImagePrint 9 bug?
« Reply #23 on: August 11, 2014, 02:21:45 pm »

Once I got past the initial learning curve, I found ImagePrint to be one of the easiest and best programs in my digital photography armamentarium.  As mentioned by a previous poster, get to know the Dashboard.  Once you have it set up the way you want it, all you have to do is select the desired paper size and paper profile, position the image in the paper and then hit print. If you want to add color or tone, then a bit more is required.

My biggest complaint about the UI is that the preview image in IP is not of high quality.  But no matter, because soft-proofing in Photoshop using the IP paper profiles is easily the better way to go.  You can set this up with the IP Profile Manager.  Again, once you have done this, soft proofing is a snap.  The results definitely surpass what I can get printing out of PS, and the same should hold for Lightroom, as it uses the same driver.

Rob  
« Last Edit: August 11, 2014, 04:05:05 pm by robgo2 »
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up