Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: More autonomy from Google+ for photo service  (Read 660 times)

Isaac

More autonomy from Google+ for photo service
« on: August 02, 2014, 10:43:01 am »

"While the extent of a separation is unclear, more autonomy could give Google+ Photos more freedom to take on rivals."

Justinr

• Ink+images
Re: More autonomy from Google+ for photo service
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2014, 04:40:14 am »

"While the extent of a separation is unclear, more autonomy could give Google+ Photos more freedom to take on rivals."

From the link -

“Over here in our darkroom, we’re always developing new ways for people to snap, share and say cheese,” Google said in an e-mailed statement without commenting specifically on any plans for separating out the photo service.

And they want people to take them seriously.

Michael Lloyd

• Random Pixel Generator
    • Wild Light Imaging
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2014, 09:10:55 am »

"take on rivals"

What rivals? Getty Stock? Nat Geo? The market for photography is already so diluted that, to remain relevant, the best living  photographers in the world have to resort to teaching workshops, creating DVD's, "doing" Hangouts, Facebook posts, etc at a frenetic pace just to try to stay in the game.

On one hand, I'm glad that photography has come to the masses (reminds me of Brownie Hawkeye's and Polaroids) and access to professional training is readily available for a reasonable price. I'll qualify "reasonable" this way- If the new photographer can afford a pro body and lens, whatever that means (a pro can create a great image with a holga... so "pro body" to me, is an oxymoron), then they can afford proper training to use it. Unfortunately creativity is not something that can be learned and that is painfully clear from the array of "crap" that is splayed out on the social media and photo storage sites.

On the other hand I see the quality of imagery, at the commercial level, declining, in some cases, rapidly. It seems that "good enough" has replaced "best possible".
Remove the dark slide before starting the exposure.

Isaac

« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2014, 10:57:59 am »

What rivals?

From the link - "…to take on rivals. Facebook, which acquired mobile photo-sharing service Instagram…"

Justinr

• Ink+images
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2014, 11:26:30 am »

"take on rivals"

What rivals? Getty Stock? Nat Geo? The market for photography is already so diluted that, to remain relevant, the best living  photographers in the world have to resort to teaching workshops, creating DVD's, "doing" Hangouts, Facebook posts, etc at a frenetic pace just to try to stay in the game.

On one hand, I'm glad that photography has come to the masses (reminds me of Brownie Hawkeye's and Polaroids) and access to professional training is readily available for a reasonable price. I'll qualify "reasonable" this way- If the new photographer can afford a pro body and lens, whatever that means (a pro can create a great image with a holga... so "pro body" to me, is an oxymoron), then they can afford proper training to use it. Unfortunately creativity is not something that can be learned and that is painfully clear from the array of "crap" that is splayed out on the social media and photo storage sites.

On the other hand I see the quality of imagery, at the commercial level, declining, in some cases, rapidly. It seems that "good enough" has replaced "best possible".

The computer has empowered us all to do things we never dreamed of before which unfortunately has reduced us to Jacks of all trades, and that includes companies and publications who now think a snap on the mobile is quite adequate just as much as I think that setting up spreadsheet to sort my tax out is as good as getting an accountant to do the job.
Pages: [1]   Go Up