Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Imac display vs. Apple Cinema display  (Read 6035 times)

bjornaagedk

Imac display vs. Apple Cinema display
« on: October 01, 2005, 10:47:46 am »

Can anyone comment on the difference in quality of an Imac G5 display and an Apple Cinema 23" display - for Photoshop work?

The price for the Imac with built in 20" display is only a little more than the cost of the 23" Cinema display itself, so obviously it should be lower quality. Bot how much are we talking about?

Is the Imac G5 display still good enough for critical photoshop work?

Peter_Gulbinat

• http://www.petersdreams.com
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2005, 04:57:34 pm »

Hi there
It depends what you mean by "critical" photoshop work. The 23" is rated as the best Cinema Display in terms of color accuracy. So it depends how important color accuracy is for you. The Imac display is said to be dimmer than the Cinema Displays. I would recommend you take a CD with some of your pictures to an Apple shop and see for yourself. My experience is that monitor quality is quite subjective :-)

And then there is the larger size of the Cinema...

By the way, as far as I know Dell has a 25% rebate going for its 24" display which is about 500USD cheaper than the Cinema. Maybe an alternative for you to get a good compromise.

Cheers
Peter

francois

« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2005, 03:23:26 am »

I would only buy the 23" Cinema Display if I can see it myself (ie no mailorder). Most of the early 23" aluminum models had magenta cast and uneven illumination. Apple seems to have corrected the issue but reports of yellow cast are now appearing on Apple's discussion boards and Macintouch website.

Displays of iMac G5 are not in the same league as Cinema Displays. This last weekend, I worked side-by-side on a 20" iMac G5 and a PowerMac G5 with a 20" Cinema Display and quality difference could easily be seen.

Francois
Francois

photopat

• http://
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2005, 04:37:24 am »

For critical PS work don't get a Apple display...They are not made for the PRO market.

If you are serious and want to "trust" your(lcd) display..
Get something like Eizo that are hardware calibratible.

abaazov

« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2005, 10:28:39 am »

simply put, what are the "best" monitors out there for PS work? which eizo model would you recommend? anybody know where there is an eizo dealer in montreal? (can't find one!!)
thanks...
amnon

abaazov

« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2005, 01:45:29 pm »

well i don't know about the eizos, i have never used one. i had been using the much-maligned dell 2405 for a couple of months, and just wasn't satisfied. just a few weeks ago i got the samsung syncmaster 243t. now i understand all the criticism that was directed towards the dell, and other monitors. i think monitor quality is something you grasp easier when you work on a "good" monitor after working on a "not so good" monitor. the clarity, the true-to-reality factor, the calibration, it all seems to have come together for me on the samsung. truly a great monitor. i can only imagine how much better it can get on a real high-end monitor.

amnon

wlong

• www.longshots.com.au
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2005, 06:03:30 pm »

I've been using Eizos for about a year and half and from my point of view (shooting commercially where colour accuracy is critical), they're simply brilliant.  

William Long
www.longshots.com.au
Pages: [1]   Go Up