Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: More from Bruce Peninsula National Park  (Read 4168 times)

luxborealis

• luxBorealis.com - photography by Terry McDonald
More from Bruce Peninsula National Park
« on: August 01, 2014, 09:00:49 pm »

Here are a few more to add to the four I posted previously...
All shot with a D800E on tripod; post-capture processing exclusively in Lightroom.

Still Water: 8:46pm; 30mm; ƒ16@30sec; +1EV; ISO 100 w/ B+W ND3.0
Storm's End: 5:54am; 18mm; ƒ16@25sec; –2⅓EV; ISO 100 w/ B+W ND3.0
The Trail: 18mm; 9:03pm; ƒ16@1/13; –1⅔EV; ISO 200
Horse Lake, Dawn: 6:02am; 35mm; ƒ11@1/10; –2EV; ISO 50

C&C&Qs welcome.

FWIW, I am greatly enjoying the AF-S Nikkor 18-35mm ƒ3.5-4.5 and am impressed with the image quality from such a lightweight lens (which is sure appreciated when backpacking!)
« Last Edit: August 02, 2014, 03:49:44 pm by luxborealis »
Terry McDonald - luxBorealis.com

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
    • http://myrvaagnes.com
Re: More from Bruce Peninsula National Park
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2014, 09:33:43 pm »

They're all quite fine, as I would expect from you, Terry. But the first one just leaves me speechless. It is stunning in it's simple elegance.
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

Peter McLennan

« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2014, 10:35:20 pm »

For me, it's "The Trail".  Love to hear about the BW conversion process on this one.

Rajan Parrikar

• Rajan Parrikar
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2014, 03:03:23 am »

The final "Horse Lake" for me, for the mood it evokes.

churly

« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2014, 07:34:26 am »

1 & 4 for me - especially 4.  The BW conversions in 2 & 3 seem contrived to me.  IMO you pushed them too far.
Chuck
Chuck Hurich

David Anderson

• http://www.twigwater.com
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2014, 07:44:06 am »

All good, but I really like #1 - awesome. 8)

Are you throwing any sharpness away shooting  at f16 ?
The 28 1.8 is off it's game at 16 - just wondering how the zoom compares ?

stamper

« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2014, 07:57:53 am »

#1 &#2 for me. My preferences are generally to have a little more contrast in scenes like these but tastes differ. Overall the four were worth posting and viewing. :)

luxborealis

« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2014, 08:45:40 am »

Thanks, all, for having a look and for your kind words.

Peter - The B&W conversion is fairly straightforward, but it really pushes LR to the limit and can, as Chuck pointed out, look a bit contrived. In LR, I convert to B&W and typically apply a slight warm/brown tone using a Split Toning of Highlight Hue 0, Sat 0; Balance of -50; Shadow Hue of 48, Sat 12. I will often check the "Auto" version, just to get a sense of what the LR algorithms "think" - often they are quite good. From there, I'll either go back to 0s or adjust the Exposure to levels which bring out detail, but also knowing what's coming next...

With B&Ws only, I often work backwards to the recommended "top down" method of adjustments. You have to remember, what I'm working towards is re-creating the "vision" or "visualization" of the scene I saw when I made the photo. While I am much more of a literal photographer than an imaginative one (I try to be true to the structure of the scene), I am also trying to convey more than just the scene – the light and the feeling that goes with it being there at that time.

So, for B&Ws,  I apply a Clarity adjustment of between 50 and 100, then I bring the Blacks up so there is just some clipping, then adjust the Shadows upwards to bring out detail as needed. I'll often give a similar treatment to the Highlights by raising the Whites as high as possible with perhaps just a small amount of clipping (if there were true whites in the scene), then adjust the Highlights downwards, typically to maximize the tonal separation in them. I then walk away from it and revisit the photo a few days later. Sometimes I'll make a print (using Moab Entrada Rag Natural, which needs a bit more contrast to sing) to check tones. Prints are my ultimate goal here. I've attached a Develop module Basic panel for "The Trail" (the original, not the one here).

Chuck - You're right, I did push the two B&Ws a bit far. As I said above, prints on Moab Entrada Rag Natural are my ultimate goal, so a boost in Contrast is needed. Both were high contrast situations with a real "edge" to them. My goal was to maintain that edginess. I also wanted to ensure the rock was more than just "there"; I wanted it to "speak", so I needed it to look more alive than dead. Bumping Clarity has a way of doing just that. I've gone back and tried the same shots with reduced Contrast, Shadows, Blacks and Clarity and while they look more realistic, to me the rock is not alive enough, it's too muddy (see attached). Perhaps there's a balance there I'm missing.

David - ƒ11 is the sweet spot with this lens (in fact, all of the Nikkors I own) and I try to make best use of it. Typically, however, I like to get in close and am pushing DoF to the limit so use ƒ16. To me, there are times when the gain in DoF outweighs the loss of overall acuity, especially when much of that loss (or all, perhaps) can be gained back in sharpening.

brandtb

• http://www.brandtbolding.com
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2014, 09:26:26 am »

The first is quite a beautiful shot...and the tones...all the way round.
Brandt Bolding
www.brandtbolding.com

sdwilsonsct

« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2014, 10:51:36 am »

They're all quite fine, as I would expect from you, Terry. But the first one just leaves me speechless. It is stunning in it's simple elegance.

+1. + thanks for the B&W tutorial.

Ed B

• Light Conspiracy
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2014, 11:32:56 am »

David - ƒ11 is the sweet spot with this lens (in fact, all of the Nikkors I own) and I try to make best use of it. Typically, however, I like to get in close and am pushing DoF to the limit so use ƒ16. To me, there are times when the gain in DoF outweighs the loss of overall acuity, especially when much of that loss (or all, perhaps) can be gained back in sharpening.

Have you tried focus stacking? I've just started playing around with it and Photoshop makes it quite easy.

Peter McLennan

« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2014, 12:14:04 pm »

Thanks, Terry, for your detailed description of BW conversion in Lightroom.  You skills as a photographer and educator are as usual very evident.

Dave Pluimer

• Dave Pluimer Photography
« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2014, 02:34:51 pm »

I like #1 and #2.

In #2, I think you should consider working in a shot of the water (esp. in the bottom of the frame) of a shot in the 0.3-1.2s range. It's a little too clear for me. But, that long exposure did a splendid job on that sky.

Re: Isaac - they are referring to diffraction limited aperture (DLA). It refers to the smallest aperture before the sensor/lens combo starts going soft due to light bending (I'm paraphrasing). On most cameras you're looking at f/8. I try not to shoot past f/10. Link - http://www.cambridgeincolour.com/tutorials/diffraction-photography.htm

luxborealis

« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2014, 03:53:18 pm »

In #2, I think you should consider working in a shot of the water (esp. in the bottom of the frame) of a shot in the 0.3-1.2s range. It's a little too clear for me. But, that long exposure did a splendid job on that sky.

Dave: Here is a similar frame made a bit earlier in the morning at 1.3sec. There is a bit more movement in the close-up water, but you're right about the added movement in the sky of the long exposure.

luxborealis

« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2014, 09:50:40 pm »

Thanks for pointing that out, Isaac. While I don't doubt the findings of photozone.de, in practical use, the 18-35 easily outperforms my Nikkor 20mm ƒ2.8 and is a hair better than my Nikkor 24mm ƒ2.8D. I could never afford the Nikkor 24mm ƒ1.4G nor the Zeiss Distagon 21mm or 18mm (and hope to stay married!). However, if my clients start to complain about lack of sharpness, then I will re-consider ;) To me, the proof of the lens is in the prints

FWIW, over on DxOMark, the 18-35mm G earns a "29"; the Zeiss Distagon a "27" (along with the Nikkor 20mm D); the Nikkor 16-35 ƒ4 a "25"; the Zeiss Distagon 18mm ƒ3.5 a "24" and the Nikkor 17-35mm ƒ2.8 a "23" - all more expensive lenses with much better press - so I think I'm doing alright by this one.

ckelly49

« Reply #15 on: August 03, 2014, 11:22:56 am »

#1 is beautiful and very soothing, but best is show goes to Horse Lake for me.

Paulo Bizarro

• http://www.paulobizarro.com
« Reply #16 on: August 04, 2014, 05:54:19 am »

What a fine set. For me #3 is exquisite, it makes me want to climb those steps.

maddogmurph

• Maddog's Photography
« Reply #17 on: August 04, 2014, 03:36:13 pm »

#1 - Like the smoothness, colors, and clarity of the subject.  Seems like I'd like more going on however.
#2 - Love the walkway, the trees at the top of the frame somehow take away from it for me.
#3 - Feels perfect beneath the sky, but I'd like the clouds up top to be still, and have a greater complexity or depth - I love the shot btw.
#4 - I would have thrown a heavier grad and wide lens on if I could, I wonder what's to the right.

You're selling the 800/810 to me quite well I should add.
Maddog Murph
www.depictionsofbeauty.com
Mostly here for constructive feedback.

Dave (Isle of Skye)

• I've even written a book about it
    • SkyePhotoGuide.com
« Reply #18 on: August 04, 2014, 06:43:01 pm »

Love the first shot, just the kind of thing I find myself doing these days and once again proves the old adage, that less is more, excellent!

At first I thought the clouds entering/leaving the shot to the right might be better if they weren't there, but then the more I look at the shot, the more I think the clouds add to it.

Dave

luxborealis

« Reply #19 on: August 04, 2014, 10:21:17 pm »

Many thanks to all for your compliments and constructive criticisms/critiques - all are valuable in their own way.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up