Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Leaf Aptus 75 column write error, bug or CF problem?  (Read 1552 times)

torger

Leaf Aptus 75 column write error, bug or CF problem?
« on: August 01, 2014, 06:56:11 pm »

I have an Leaf Aptus 75. Now and then, say 1 out of 200 images, I get a few bad columns in the image, not always in the same place, but always clustered together like shown in the attached example.

My guess is that the Leaf Aptus is not better than this, ie buggy and you have to expect than an image now and then is ruined, so I always make an extra exposure if I can. In a crisis I can manually retouch the bad columns so it's not a critical problem, just slightly irritating for someone like me that prefer reliable gear.

However, maybe this is some known problem say a bad CF or something so I thought I'd check out with the forum.

I *think* I get it with different CFs, but I haven't really investigated it thoroughly. Has any other Aptus (or Aptus-II) user seen this problem, and if so how do you relate to it? Is it fixable?
« Last Edit: August 01, 2014, 07:14:36 pm by torger »

pixjohn

Re: Leaf Aptus 75 column write error, bug or CF problem?
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2014, 08:23:53 pm »

Welcome to the Leaf Aptus club of issues. I have had this, and many other problems since I purchased my back new. I wish I had an answer, but Leaf has never did the right thing and taken care of the issue's for me even when I was under warranty. I have spent $1000's on repairs in the past and the issue always comes back. I guess you could say its hit and miss. ever since I have had a phaseone back as a back up, I have had less problems shooting with the Leaf back.

torger

« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2014, 03:01:53 am »

Thanks for the reply. I've had my fair share of Aptus issues, I bought mine second hand which had a load of issues, worst chilly weather failures (not even sub-zero required), changed e-box, better but still cold weather failures, then after much pressure on Leaf I finally got a replacement back and this one works stable in the cold, and is overall pretty stable. Except for the bugs I think the Aptus is a great back for tech cam use, I really enjoy the focus/sharpness check capability in such an affordable back.

The only issues I've had (in addition to this column write error) is that sometime funky things happen when it runs out of power, worst case it writes something strange to the CF card  for the last shot image so it cannot continue using it until reformatted (rare, and no images lost but do bring extra CF cards if you don't have a computer nearby). I've noted that the beep sound sometimes disappears. I've assumed that these are typical Aptus bugs, but Leaf have never admitted that they exist when I've asked them.

It's only the column write error that causes some real agony though as you can never be 100% sure that the image is okay. The column error does not show up in the image in the back (I guess unless you switch image so it rereads it from the CF card and happen to zoom to 100% in the right location, a location which varies) so you don't really know.

The last write errors occurred with a Sandisk 8 GB Ultra 30 Mb/s. I think I've had it with a Sandisk Extreme 60 Mb/s too, but I'm not 100% sure. The 30 Mb/s is actually not on the supported list while the Extreme is.

Supported cards list:
http://www.phaseone.com/Search/Article.aspx?articleid=2246&languageid=1
Formatting procedure:
http://www.phaseone.com/en/search/article.aspx?articleid=1542&languageid=1

I've heard that the Aptus CF implementation is a bit sensitive (meaning: buggy), but only to the extent that it should work if you follow the above instructions. I follow them, except for that I use that Ultra 30 Mb/s too (assuming that the slower Ultra would be even nicer to the Aptus CF implementation). Maybe column errors occur due to the Ultra? Maybe column errors is a symptom of some particular CF problem (wrong model, wrong formatting or something), it would be great to know if it's a work-aroundable problem or if it's just one of those bugs you have to live with.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2014, 03:09:25 am by torger »

pixjohn

« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2014, 03:50:06 am »

I shot 95% tethered and get the issues. I also get a lot of miss fires or have to shoot 4 – 6 shots to get one image to appear. When the back works like it should, I prefer the files over the phaseone IQ files, That is why I stick with the older aptus back for now. Chip size is another factor why I stick with the aptus back.

torger

« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2014, 03:57:36 am »

I shot 95% tethered and get the issues. I also get a lot of miss fires or have to shoot 4 – 6 shots to get one image to appear. When the back works like it should, I prefer the files over the phaseone IQ files, That is why I stick with the older aptus back for now. Chip size is another factor why I stick with the aptus back.

I guess you said it but just to be 100% clear, you get the column write error sometimes tethered too, ie no CF card involved? If so I guess I can assume it's not a CF issue.

(I'm a hiking landscape photographer and have actually never shot tethered with my Aptus back :-) )

I too like this back very much despite its age, so I will continue use it even if I can't fix this. I would love though if it was fully reliable. I'm thinking of upgrading to an Aptus-II 7 or 10 eventually, but if it's not going to improve reliability I'm not as sure if it's worth it.

Doug Peterson

• http://www.doug-peterson.com
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2014, 09:07:42 am »

Have you tried the credo 60?

It's overall rendering shares a lot of heritage with the Aptus line. It's by no means identical of course but provides more aesthetic continuity for Aptus owners than an IQ.

Frederic_H

• www.fredericharster.com
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2014, 08:51:30 am »

Hi Torger,

I've had such bad columns, or even half images sometimes, with a faulty CF card. Maybe your ultra is not, but since it's not in the recommended list I'd try and test with an extreme instead.
Also, my Aptus II can exhibit strange color casts or does weird things when the battery is a bit low (25% and below)... ?

torger

« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2014, 09:40:10 am »

Hi Torger,

I've had such bad columns, or even half images sometimes, with a faulty CF card. Maybe your ultra is not, but since it's not in the recommended list I'd try and test with an extreme instead.
Also, my Aptus II can exhibit strange color casts or does weird things when the battery is a bit low (25% and below)... ?

Thanks. I think I'll clean up my CF collection and have only 8 gig extremes to the Aptus, and then run for a while and see what happens.

I also have a mix of old and new batteries. Maybe using only the newest batteries would provide safer low battery behaviour.
Pages: [1]   Go Up