Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: prints are way too dark.  (Read 7409 times)

dumainew

Re: prints are way too dark.
« Reply #20 on: August 04, 2014, 04:08:39 pm »

Andrew,
You're quite right. The screen is too light, but I've darkened it down and the print to screen un-match remains (pretty much) the same.
Also just calibrated monitor. Using D65 and 80 screen . Color Munki.
Getting same results as D55 and 80 screen.
Working with soft proofed files.
Richard

rpsphoto

« Reply #21 on: August 04, 2014, 09:38:53 pm »

In an attempt to standardize the lighting in your workspace try moving the lights to in front of your monitor. The Ott lites may not be up to the task. I use two 5,000k lights to illuminate my workspace and have calibrated using them as well. It essentially eliminated dark print surprises for me.
Best regards,
 Bob CEO, CFO, EIEIO, Ret.

The View

« Reply #22 on: August 05, 2014, 01:13:08 pm »

I noticed that printing on some papers gives darker results.

Printing on Hahenmuehle Baryta, for example, I have to lighten the images considerably, or the images come out too dark.

Printing on Moab Lasal matte, I can pretty much use the adjustments I have, only darken the darker areas.

It has a lot do do with the contrast range of a paper.

OP, have you tried other papers?

I went back to the old wet darkroom method of printing test strips. That's the only thing where you can evaluate how an image will turn out. Soft proofing is fine for a first look, but too rough to tell you anything. After all, comparing a monitor image to a printed image is a comparing totally different things.
The View of deserts, forests, mountains. Not the TV show that I have never watched.

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
« Reply #23 on: August 05, 2014, 01:17:17 pm »

I noticed that printing on some papers gives darker results.
Printing on Hahenmuehle Baryta, for example, I have to lighten the images considerably, or the images come out too dark.
Printing on Moab Lasal matte, I can pretty much use the adjustments I have, only darken the darker areas.
It has a lot do do with the contrast range of a paper.
Which is why, systems like SpectraView allow one to build a suite of calibration targets for differing papers and contrast ratio's. And allow you to switch on the fly to update the calibration and profile. You calibrate for matt paper, 200:1 contrast ratio with a fixed paper white, then differently for glossy paper with 300:1 ratio and whiter white. One size doesn't fit all. The technology exists to deal with this IF you pay for the technology.
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

rubencarmona

« Reply #24 on: August 13, 2014, 05:11:38 am »

Please consider that it is essential under which light you look at your prints. Be sure you use standard daylight, otherwhise, it doesn't really make sense to comparing with what you see on your display.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up