Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: LR automatic lens correction + Metabones adapter  (Read 1404 times)

lelouarn

LR automatic lens correction + Metabones adapter
« on: August 01, 2014, 08:14:07 am »

Hi !

I use LR's automatic lens correction quite often, it's very useful. Now that I have a Sony Alpha 7R + Metabones adapter + Canon lenses, I am wondering how to keep doing that.

Thankfully, the adapter does report the focal length (range if it's a zoom, and maximum aperture) to the camera, which writes it in the Exif. So for each picture, I know what lens was used. Unfortunately, instead of reporting "Canon EF24-70mm f/2.8L II USM", the adapter reports something like: "24-70 F2.8 OSS". So the automatic profile doesn't work. I need to manually go and select the appropriate Canon lens (and I know from the Exif which one to choose, since I only have one 24-70 f/2.8 lens).

Now you see where I'm going: is there a way to fool Lightroom into applying a Canon profile when it sees the 24-70 F2.8 OSS tag ? So for example creating a lens called "24-70 F2.8 OSS", with Canon's properties ? I don't know enough about the way the lenses are coded in LR to do that...

Thanks !

AFairley

Re: LR automatic lens correction + Metabones adapter
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2014, 10:09:34 am »

Assuming the profile is resident as a separate file on your computer (Google for locations), you might be able to exit the lens ID it contains in a text editor (it would be an XML file).  However, it could be that the chromatic aberration and vignetting corrections would be off, as well as the distortion correction because of the optics of the adapter.  If I were in your shoes I would take the time to create a profile using Adobe's Lens Profile Creator, which is a little tedious but not really difficult (Google for Adobe tutorials).  Then you will know you are properly correcting the lens+adapter combinAtion.
Pages: [1]   Go Up