Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Famous photographs you have grown really tired of seeing.  (Read 12403 times)

Dave (Isle of Skye)

• I've even written a book about it
    • SkyePhotoGuide.com
Famous photographs you have grown really tired of seeing.
« on: August 01, 2014, 07:45:21 am »

This does not mean that I don’t think this image is an amazing image, I do and it is, it is just that for me, it has now become like one of those grating Christmas songs from the 80’s, that I seem to have to endure each and every year, to the point where ramming the pointed end of sharpened pencils into my ears seems like a well thought out and reasonable solution. This image of the Afghan Girl does that for me now and in spades, which I can only assume is because I have seen it just too many times, on the net and in magazines and on TV and billboards etc, to the point where if I never ever see this image again for the rest of my life, I could and would die a happy man.

Here is an interview with Steve discussing his ‘Afghan Girl’ photograph, the interview proper starts around 16 minutes into the video.

I apologise profusely Steve if you happen to read this, because I am sure you did not create this amazing image just to make my eyeballs melt and who knows, in maybe a hundred years or so, this image will be justifiably classified in the same league of artistic endeavour as the Mona Lisa, but for now and for me, Aaarrrggghhh! Pleeeease make it stop!!!!  :o

Dave
« Last Edit: August 01, 2014, 07:47:27 am by Dave (Isle of Skye) »

stamper

Re: Famous photographs you have grown really tired of seeing.
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2014, 08:22:28 am »

Your avatar Dave.  ;) :)

mal mcilwraith

• malmac photography
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2014, 03:39:21 pm »

Dave

I take my hat off to you for having the courage to suggest eating steak from the sacred cows.

For what ever reason, I have not been bombarded with this particular image - so don't have the image fatigue you are having.
I do however tire of the chocolate box landscapes which are just so pretty and sweet I almost feel sick. These images are usually technically excellent and are loved by many - however somehow they often just irk me for some reason.

I must give that some further reflection.

Mal

Dave (Isle of Skye)

• SkyePhotoGuide.com
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2014, 05:36:53 pm »

Your avatar Dave.  ;) :)

Message received and understood, I will see if I can't dig out some other mug shot, I suppose this one is a few years old now  :)

Dave

I take my hat off to you for having the courage to suggest eating steak from the sacred cows.

For what ever reason, I have not been bombarded with this particular image - so don't have the image fatigue you are having.
I do however tire of the chocolate box landscapes which are just so pretty and sweet I almost feel sick. These images are usually technically excellent and are loved by many - however somehow they often just irk me for some reason.

I must give that some further reflection.

Mal

Yes Mal I know what you mean.

Perhaps it is her haunting staring eyes that I find unsettling or something.

Dave
« Last Edit: August 01, 2014, 05:52:46 pm by Dave (Isle of Skye) »

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2014, 05:51:31 pm »

I know what you mean, Dave. It's a great picture, but it's been pushed a bit too often and too hard. I sometimes give a lecture on photographers in which I use this picture to illustrate a point. I'll ask my audience: "What is it that makes this picture so striking?" Almost always the answer comes back: "The girl's green eyes." So then I pop up a version of the picture with brown eyes. It's equally effective. Finally, I pop up a B&W version, which, it turns out, is most effective of all. Eventually we get into a discussion about why the picture's so effective with or without green eyes. It's an interesting question.
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

Dave (Isle of Skye)

• SkyePhotoGuide.com
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2014, 06:01:27 pm »

I know what you mean, Dave. It's a great picture, but it's been pushed a bit too often and too hard. I sometimes give a lecture on photographers in which I use this picture to illustrate a point. I'll ask my audience: "What is it that makes this picture so striking?" Almost always the answer comes back: "The girl's green eyes." So then I pop up a version of the picture with brown eyes. It's equally effective. Finally, I pop up a B&W version, which, it turns out, is most effective of all. Eventually we get into a discussion about why the picture's so effective with or without green eyes. It's an interesting question.

Thank goodness someone agrees with me to some extent and as I said above, it is a really stunning image, so perhaps it's just me.

Dave

Misirlou

• http://
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2014, 06:12:48 pm »

I was in a remote part of Thailand about 15 years ago, and in the local market, there were several vendors selling hand-painted copies of that image. There were varying degrees of skill involved in their execution, of course. I decided right then and there that I'd had enough.

Don't get me wrong; I think it's a spectacular photo. Nothing about what others have done with/to the work diminishes the original in any way. I just don't want to see it a lot more.

I could mention many others too.

Isaac

« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2014, 11:55:10 pm »

…for me, it has now become like one of those grating Christmas songs from the 80’s, that I seem to have to endure each and every year, to the point where ramming the pointed end of sharpened pencils into my ears seems like a well thought out and reasonable solution. This image of the Afghan Girl does that for me now and in spades, which I can only assume is because I have seen it just too many times…

You need a visit back to the north of England, where there'll be no shortage of people ready to tell you to get over yourself.

Iluvmycam

« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2014, 12:10:20 am »

None I can think of.

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2014, 12:58:37 am »

Hi,

Lot of good points…

In my view it is a great picture, with a story to tell. Interestingly enough, the story told has changed, at least a bit, now that we know that the young lady has survived and is still around.

As a side note, would we pay royalty to her she would be a rich woman…

Best regards
Erik

Erik Kaffehr

Schewe

• http:www.schewephoto.com
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2014, 02:00:55 am »

In my view it is a great picture, with a story to tell. Interestingly enough, the story told has changed, at least a bit, now that we know that the young lady has survived and is still around.

I've met Steve...he's a really good photographer. It's not his fault that National Geo has leveraged and exploited his image. That's the nature of being a National Geo photographer. In essence, National Geo "owns" the image...the further story of Steve going back into Afghanistan and finding the original girl who turned into a woman was very interesting to me at least. That second shot means a lot to Steve.

Sorry, but this is much ado about nothing...it's an iconic shot that at the time was pretty interesting to the extent that National Geo jumped on and pushed out there. None of the exploitation was Steve's fault. You should see the contract he was working under...

So here' an idea...when you see the image, quit looking. It's not on Steve but on you that you've seen it too much. Quit looking!

Dave (Isle of Skye)

• SkyePhotoGuide.com
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2014, 05:27:09 am »

So here' an idea...when you see the image, quit looking. It's not on Steve but on you that you've seen it too much. Quit looking!

Good points Jeff and believe me I have tried to avoid seeing it.

It reminds in a way of the story I heard, although I don’t know if it is true, about Paul McCartney from a few years back, who tried to use his copyright of the song ‘The Long and Winding Road’ in an attempt to stop people crucifying it with their tuneless karaoke versions, he argued that we were all becoming so used to only hearing the strangled cat version backed by electronic muzak, that it was undermining sales of all his work, as we all grew so tired of hearing it. So a classic piece of music ruined by overexposure and derivation. So I suppose all I am saying is that the same thing has happened to Steve’s picture - for me at least, where NG has used and leveraged this image so much and for so long and with so many derivative versions of it all over the place, to the point of viewer fatigue.

Not his fault in any way and as I keep saying, it is a stunning image.

Dave

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2014, 05:47:25 am »

Hi,

Yes, I really appreciate that! I also got the impression that Steve got her a sewing machine, so she can do some work for living.

Best regards
Erik

...the further story of Steve going back into Afghanistan and finding the original girl who turned into a woman was very interesting to me at least. That second shot means a lot to Steve.
Erik Kaffehr

Isaac

« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2014, 10:54:46 am »

…believe me I have tried to avoid seeing it.

How do you think your "suffering" from repeatedly seeing this picture compares to what the girl shown in the picture had already experienced when the photograph was taken?

Once upon a time, a ubiquitous image -- Guerrillero Heroico

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2014, 11:45:17 am »

It's a perfectly composed photo a beautiful but frightened young girl with eyes that appear non-human. How could you not keep admiring it?

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
« Reply #15 on: August 02, 2014, 12:17:52 pm »

Exactly, Alan. I agree it's been pushed too hard, but there's a reason for that. As Jeff points out, it's an iconic shot. To me, the interesting question is why is it iconic? Clearly, it's iconic because it's powerful. But why is it so powerful? When you say the girl's frightened you're making an assumption. We know enough about the picture, outside of the picture, to know she was uprooted and in a refugee camp. We also know that Steve didn't see this as an iconic picture when he made the shot. According to the NGM magazine story he said: "I didn’t think the photograph of the girl would be different from anything else I shot that day." We don't really know much more than that -- outside the picture

But inside the picture we know something that moves us deeply. It's not just what you call the non-human eyes, Alan, and it's not the composition or the light. What's fascinating to me is to convert the picture to B&W so you get away from the compositional enhancement produced by the complementary colors. B&W removes the color as a distraction, and in my own opinion increases the power of the picture.

I'm not going to beat the thing to death. It's a discussion you need to have verbally because there's too much to be said to try to write it all in a forum thread. But the bottom line is that what you know about this picture you know only in the picture. No outside information can enhance or detract from the transcendental experience you get from it. It's like a great piece of music or a great poem. What you know about them you know only in them. You can rattle your head all you want about what's there, but nothing you say in words can begin to explain what it is that moves you in a great work of art.

I'd suggest that what's happening to Dave and others who are so "tired" of seeing this picture is that the power of the picture keeps beating them over the head. That can be tiring.
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #16 on: August 02, 2014, 12:45:11 pm »

RSL:  My post didn't say anything about color.  My comments would be the same and would work with a monochrome of the shot.  Her eyes are other worldly with or without color. 

Also, her expression does appear to be apprehensive to me, if not frightened.  Her eyes are slightly opened adding to this effect.    Her face is dirty and her clothes are torn and she's disheveled.    Not someone who has their act together but rather appearing stressed.

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #17 on: August 02, 2014, 12:47:58 pm »

Oh, her head is dropped a little, also adding to the appearance of fear and apprehension.

Dave (Isle of Skye)

• SkyePhotoGuide.com
« Reply #18 on: August 02, 2014, 12:56:45 pm »

I'd suggest that what's happening to Dave and others who are so "tired" of seeing this picture is that the power of the picture keeps beating them over the head. That can be tiring.

Hallelujah!!!!!!

Russ, I think you have completely and utterly hit the nail right bang in the centre of the head for me and is probably the reason why I don't want to look at it any more. The image is just so powerful and so attention consuming, it has become painful.

Thank you Russ  ;)

Dave

graeme

« Reply #19 on: August 03, 2014, 06:16:37 am »

Good points Jeff and believe me I have tried to avoid seeing it.

It reminds in a way of the story I heard, although I don’t know if it is true, about Paul McCartney from a few years back, who tried to use his copyright of the song ‘The Long and Winding Road’ in an attempt to stop people crucifying it with their tuneless karaoke versions, he argued that we were all becoming so used to only hearing the strangled cat version backed by electronic muzak, that it was undermining sales of all his work, as we all grew so tired of hearing it. So a classic piece of music ruined by overexposure and derivation. So I suppose all I am saying is that the same thing has happened to Steve’s picture - for me at least, where NG has used and leveraged this image so much and for so long and with so many derivative versions of it all over the place, to the point of viewer fatigue.

Not his fault in any way and as I keep saying, it is a stunning image.

The karaoke versions can't be much worse than McCartney's vocal on the original.

Dave

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up