Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: NEW Adobe RAW Thread  (Read 7747 times)

dwdallam

• http://www.dwdallam.com
NEW Adobe RAW Thread
« on: September 30, 2005, 06:58:54 pm »

Further reading and your responses demand a new set of more clear questions:

This is what we want to do here:

Make a list of what steps are necessary to use the Adobe RAW converter in Adobe CS1 or CS2. Althought the tutorials etc. on this site and others are invaluable, many are written in a more story-like format. What I'd like to do is have a set of steps, without any woo woo or foo foo. Any furter need of clarification and information can be linked. But I think the step approach is invaluable too.

These questions are leveled at the photographer who is trying or does do professional level photography for display, not the snap shooter or 'good enough' hobby crowd.

1) How to get close--not perfect-color when printing using the RAW option in PS? (Without spending 400.00 on a spider.) If you have information in using the video card LUT settings, please explain. This will likely entail profiles at Dry Creek, etc.

2) RAW Converter: What color profile, and why? If Adobe RGB 98, why not ProPhoto?

3) Use 16 bit mode, of course.

4) Run or not to run your camera's RAW images through the Abode RAW converter?

5) Anything else you know of, such as Lisa's concern about  sharpening in Photoshop rather than the RAW converter. Also, please explain that if you sharpen in PS, then you must use 8 bit mode and a tiff file, and you are not working in RAW anymore--as I understand it.

That's about as clear as I can get it at this time. Please comment and clarify any responses.

boku

• http://www.bobkulonphoto.com
NEW Adobe RAW Thread
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2005, 08:00:46 pm »

Further reading and your responses demand a new set of more clear questions:

This is what we want to do here:

Make a list of what steps are necessary to use the Adobe RAW converter in Adobe CS1 or CS2. Althought the tutorials etc. on this site and others are invaluable, many are written in a more story-like format. What I'd like to do is have a set of steps, without any woo woo or foo foo. Any furter need of clarification and information can be linked. But I think the step approach is invaluable too.

These questions are leveled at the photographer who is trying or does do professional level photography for display, not the snap shooter or 'good enough' hobby crowd.

1) How to get close--not perfect-color when printing using the RAW option in PS? (Without spending 400.00 on a spider.) If you have information in using the video card LUT settings, please explain. This will likely entail profiles at Dry Creek, etc.

2) RAW Converter: What color profile, and why? If Adobe RGB 98, why not ProPhoto?

3) Use 16 bit mode, of course.

4) Run or not to run your camera's RAW images through the Abode RAW converter?

5) Anything else you know of, such as Lisa's concern about  sharpening in Photoshop rather than the RAW converter. Also, please explain that if you sharpen in PS, then you must use 8 bit mode and a tiff file, and you are not working in RAW anymore--as I understand it.

That's about as clear as I can get it at this time. Please comment and clarify any responses.
You're taking it pretty fast, so I'll try to give you a few sobering facts:

1) Slow down - this stuff should understood before you use it.
2) There are three general types of calibration:
   a) monitor calibration - you MUST do this and you must use a ~$200 hardware/software kit.
    printer calibration - you should do this if the profiles furnished by the printer manufacturer are sub-optimal. Dry Creek is a supplier. I am satisfied with Epson's standard profiles.
   c) camera calibration/profiling - the finishing touch to go the distance for quality - complex for beginners - start here: Jonathan's Profiling article
3) Most people convert RAW to Adobe RGB because it closely matches what printers are capable of. Pro-Photo give more control over gamut-fringe colors, but must be down-converted before printing. SRGB is strictly for images that are only only destined for monitors (WWW pages) or small-gamut commercial printing processes.
4) You need to convert RAW somewhere, so Camera Raw is one option. Since I use Photoshop for editing and printing, it makes a one-stop solution.
5) Don't sharpen in Camera RAW - sharpen converted images in Photoshop itself. All my images are converted to 16-bit files, why are you converting to 8-bit?
6) Are you aware that you can and should be producing 16-bit RAw conversions?
7) Are you understanding color management well enough to do some of the things you are proposing? Using a LUT that wasn't generated on the system by a hardware device is unheard of. Dry Creek cannot supply monitor profiles unless they are planning on visiting your computer room.
8) By ignoring the "workflow stories" you are paying a penalty - this is a far more mature situation than you recognize. You need the "woo-woo" and "foo-foo". If you can't see that, you don't understand what you are attempting. Color management and RAW workflow produce superior results only for those that buckle down and learn the hard way. There is no free lunch.
Bob Kulon

Oh, one more thing...[b

Lisa Nikodym

• http://www.stanford.edu/~melkor/lisa_pictures/lisa_pictures.html
NEW Adobe RAW Thread
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2005, 10:56:40 pm »

Bob has many good points.  He knows what he's talking about, pretty much all down the list here.

Something you say worries me that you might not be understanding how RAW files work.  The RAW file contains the data straight from the camera's sensor, without all the in-camera software applied that converts it into a form meaningful to the human eye.  To do something with it outside the camera, you need RAW conversion software (such as ACR), which knows enough about your camera to do the conversion to something that PS and your eye can deal with.  At that point, it's no longer a RAW file, but a TIFF (or JPG, or photoshop format, or whatever else you choose to convert it to in ACR).  It can still be 16 bit at this point (and should, if you really care about image quality).  You can do most (not all, but most) photoshop manipulations (including sharpening) in 16 bit, and not convert to 8 bit until just before printing.  Whether or not you start with a RAW file (or a TIFF, or JPG, or whatever) has nothing to do with getting a good color match when printing, which is at the opposite end of the workflow.

You really need to do some reading up to get a better understanding of the various steps involved from camera to computer to printer.  There's a lot in between, and unless someone gives you a black-box-type "recipe" for exactly what to do without explanations, you'll need to get a better understanding of what's going on to get it to all work well; and the problem with just getting a recipe from somebody is that you won't know what to do next time there's a change in the technology, your equipment or your workflow.

Lisa
[url=http://www.stanford.edu/~melkor/lis

dwdallam

NEW Adobe RAW Thread
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2005, 04:00:22 am »

8) By ignoring the "workflow stories" you are paying a penalty - this is a far more mature situation than you recognize. You need the "woo-woo" and "foo-foo". If you can't see that, you don't understand what you are attempting. Color management and RAW workflow produce superior results only for those that buckle down and learn the hard way. There is no free lunch.
Who said anything about free lunches and ignoring anything? I've read lots of essays on this subject, as I've stated, and I understand what they are saying.

Calibration and RAW conversion are not rocket science, at least to me. I also explicitely stated that more information can be derived from posting links and rereading it, as I intend on doing. However, a step by step ladder helps to focus one's attention, and hopefully prevents reinventing the wheel.

And when I say "woo woo and foo foo," I don't mean valuable information. I mean the authors style and voice, which I don't really need to hear in a manual. However, I know many articles are more than just manuals, and people want to be intertained--fair enough. I, however, don't read things of this sort for intertianment or style. I read it purely for information.  So that's what I meant. I'm not trying to get free lunches or pass over anything. I understand what it is to appropriate things into one's base of knowledge and then be able to think with that knowledge not only synchronously, but also asynchronously.

Well, LUT in my Video Card is what I meant. I just read that somewhere, but have ener heard of calibrating a video card.

Last, as always, thanks for your comments. They were pretty #### on the spot for what I was asking. Don't be afraid to hit me with information taht sounds over my head. Just make it clear, and I can figure it out eventually.

dwdallam

NEW Adobe RAW Thread
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2005, 04:50:23 am »

Bob has many good points.  He knows what he's talking about, pretty much all down the list here.

Something you say worries me that you might not be understanding how RAW files work.  The RAW file contains the data straight from the camera's sensor, without all the in-camera software applied that converts it into a form meaningful to the human eye.  To do something with it outside the camera, you need RAW conversion software (such as ACR), which knows enough about your camera to do the conversion to something that PS and your eye can deal with.  At that point, it's no longer a RAW file, but a TIFF (or JPG, or photoshop format, or whatever else you choose to convert it to in ACR).  It can still be 16 bit at this point (and should, if you really care about image quality).  You can do most (not all, but most) photoshop manipulations (including sharpening) in 16 bit, and not convert to 8 bit until just before printing.  Whether or not you start with a RAW file (or a TIFF, or JPG, or whatever) has nothing to do with getting a good color match when printing, which is at the opposite end of the workflow.

You really need to do some reading up to get a better understanding of the various steps involved from camera to computer to printer.  There's a lot in between, and unless someone gives you a black-box-type "recipe" for exactly what to do without explanations, you'll need to get a better understanding of what's going on to get it to all work well; and the problem with just getting a recipe from somebody is that you won't know what to do next time there's a change in the technology, your equipment or your workflow.

Lisa

Well, pretty much what you say here is axiomatic to me because you haven't answered any of my questions.

I understand many of the things you are taking about, such as workflow and what needs to happen at the beggining and then the end, but more so in the web design end, such as sharpening at the end of all other adjusting, etc.

So let's start with what I do know, or at least have an idea about.

1) The RAW file is what the camera sees, and that is all. It must be converted using conversion software, as I have pointed that out above, which is PSCS2 for me. Yes, yes.

2) The first thing that happens is that you need to ge the RAW file into an editing program, for which there are several, including the camera manufacture's programs. However, many people feel that the camera company's programs are not too good, with some exceptions. Enter Adobe Photoshop CS1  and CS2, which has a very good RAW converter. Adobe also has a RAW conversion program for converting any RAW file to a standard RAW file, which I also ask about above.

3) After you open the file in your program, such as ACR, you can begin the process of white blance, contrast, and other changes that need to be done, and with PS, you get a nice histogram of that RAW information also. That being the case, it is also a good idea to keep in mind that RAW files have a better ability to store darker information that other file formats and film too. So if you have a left side histogram, which would be on the dark side, you can still have good inforamtion to work with.

4) I'm not sure while you are working in ACR if the file is still RAW or not. I assume it is RAW and converted on the fly to some other algoritm that the eye can see while doing adjustments. But who cares, right? You have to work on the RAW data no matter if it is cheese and salami as you work.

After you get done with the RAW settings in ACR, then you need to get it into PS for finishing touches and a printable version. At this point, you probably import it as a PSD, for future adjustments working with layers, or a TIFF file for printing. (Yeah I know you can save TIFFS with layers. Just humor me.) So now you have the original RAW file and the TIFF/PSD file. Yeah yeah, I have that pretty much

5) Other things you do, thanks to you and others pointing this out, is to sharpen using PS, not ACR, and I see that. Shapenening is something you do last to maintian the best possible image quality. Plus, as you have stated, it's a better algorithm in PS compared to ACR.

6) I understand that some of the adjustments you want in PS are not available while in 16 bit, and you must convert to 8 bit. I didn't know that many were available in 16. Of course, logic dictates that you do everything you can in 16 before converting to 8, so I get that flow also.

7) Of course file format has nothing to do with color match. That's why we need to calibrate our monitors and printer profiles. Actually, file format, such as JPG could have an affect on color if the compression mode allows color shift, but we're not taking about compressing, but reproduction, so your point is well taken.

8) I have been doing some reading on this subject, and I understand much of it. I'm cross referencing my understanding with --- HOPEFULY -- your ideas on workflow to avoid doing something that is "old school" or off beat and not acceptable any longer. There are many RAW work flow articles out there, but many were written two or more years ago. Without crossreferencing the knowledge I collect with your knowledge and proceedures, how would I avoid making mistakes by that can be avoided by asking you these questions?

9) Give me the "black box." I'm much smarter than I sound in my post, trust me. If I have a black box recipe for this sort of work flow, I'll be better able to fill in the information as I go. I just need that direction. I have a very analytic mind in that way. I've also always learned faster when I can ask questions, get straight answers--even when it seems like I'm "missing too much"--and then take that procedure and start figuring it out myself. (I actually taught myself Algebra and Calculus from a text books, with access to a professor ONLY for specific questions. I never had a real classroom experience for those subjects. It's just how I learn somethings better. And if you know what I mean here, you now that most people could never get a text book and figure out advanced math on their own, or even math, without a classromm type setting, or someone there all the time to keep them on track. I'm wierd, I admit.)

Last, what I am looking for, and Bob made a good start above which gets me going, is a skeletal approach to using RAW from start to finish. Now I repeat, I just wanted a skeletal list. I can figure the rest out by reading and asking more questions.

So to reiterate:

For now, I just need to focus my mind and it's knowledge of RAW workflow. For that to take place, I need the basic skeletal outline of getting from the ACR RAW converter to print with decent, not perfect, color reproduction.

An example of this may be something like:

1) Any profiles I need, given that I am using APSCS2.
2) Any adjustments I should NOT do in ACR.
3) Work in Adobe RGB--everyone agree on this--not ProPhoto?
4) This pertinas to #3: Should I use a printer profile, or are most modern printers calibrated to Adobe RGB?
4) Everyone agree that to calibrate your monitor to acceptable color reproduction at the print end, you need hardware?
5) In the ACR workspace, there are some options, such as "Settings" and then choices, such as "Camera Raw Defaults." Also, you can choose to "Load Settings" etc. Now I can read up on this, and I have an ideas what they do, but anyone care to comment on this for me? Again, just my weird questions for my specific way of learning. And yes I know I can "read up" on it and I ahve been doing so. However, I'd also like to compare my understanding of what I read with your explanations.

Last, I don't mean to sound ungrateful. I just need to learn how I learn, which to others may seem really wrong.

I mean my questions may seem really strange and heading in the wrong direction, or lacking robustness of understanding, but they are actaully very specific for my learning needs. For instance, sometimes I'll ask a question that seems very basic, and illicite repsonses like, "you really should know that before going on to X." However, hidden in that basic question are complex ideas that requiere the basic information I have on X to be established as fact. So I may have the information, at least basically, but I am cross referencing it with your ideas. Sometimes basic information seems contradictory to me, as I point out in my initial post here about white balance settings and shooting RAW.

So that's perhaps a better explanation of my mind and how it works. Another way to explain it is that my brain tends to suck everything in as fast as it can, and then it starts sorting it out. This is what Bob saw and meant when he simply said "slow down."  I've tried that. My brain just doesn't work that way. It bits off huge, and I mean, huge chunks, and then starts sifting through it. It's both a blessing and a curse. When I was studying Philosophy at university, it was a blessing because there is so much information you have to keep in your head when explaining verbally extemeley complex connections, to the extent that I could digest and compile elaborate and complex ideas while citing page numbers and paragraphs to support my claims from multiple books and essays--without those books or essays on me--while in classroom. It was a curse because I had to really learn to "slow down" on essay tests in order to get each step, each piece of my knowledge that was in my head, in the essay and not leave important steps out.

Anyway, for what it's worth, and I hope I didn't scare anyone off here or offend anyone. I'm ready to get back to work! I hope you'll still help me.

BTW--Do any of you have any links that are current that talk specifically about RAW Photoshop workflow and color calibration? The one's I've read are not really comprehensive all in one essays. All seems to leave some necessary information out of the loop.

dwdallam

NEW Adobe RAW Thread
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2005, 05:29:56 am »

Here is a screen shot of the blue lines I was talking about while in RAW on one image. Is that really CA? That is horrible if so. In the JPG version, it isn't there.

francois

NEW Adobe RAW Thread
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2005, 06:34:24 am »

Is that really CA? That is horrible if so. In the JPG version, it isn't there.
No, blue lines are shadows clipping warnings. If you uncheck the "Shadow" checkbox you'll see the blue lines go away. The blue lines (or dots) are only a visual clue to warn you of shadow clipping. You'll find the same with highlight clipping warning (in red). Of course, these warnings are not present in the converted file.

Francois
Francois

Tim Gray

• http://www.timgrayphotography.com
NEW Adobe RAW Thread
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2005, 09:23:48 am »

4) I'm not sure while you are working in ACR if the file is still RAW or not. I assume it is RAW and converted on the fly to some other algoritm that the eye can see while doing adjustments. But who cares, right? You have to work on the RAW data no matter if it is cheese and salami as you work.
this point raises an interesting question.

In some sense the file you are working on is no longer raw, it's been converted by the parameters you set in the conversion engine by the time you see it on the screen in any conversion program.  I suspect that once the file has been opened to view and even if you're still in the coverter tweaking the image, you're no longer manipulating the raw RAW data, or even a buffered copy of the raw RAW data.  Changes happen too quickly - it doesn't appear that the de-mosaic process is being applied each time you move a slider. I have no idea what that internal intermediate format might be.

boku

NEW Adobe RAW Thread
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2005, 09:38:14 am »

No, blue lines are shadows clipping warnings. If you uncheck the "Shadow" checkbox you'll see the blue lines go away. The blue lines (or dots) are only a visual clue to warn you of shadow clipping. You'll find the same with highlight clipping warning (in red). Of course, these warnings are not present in the converted file.

Francois
The Raw converter in CS2, by default, checks off those "auto boxes". Turn them off and save this as you default environment.

You are clipping the shadows. You see that clearly on the histogram. Red indicates that you are clipping highlights, blue clipping shadow. But even if this feature is turned off - see the checkboxes on top - the histogram would announce the condition. The blue and red areas indicate where the clipping is occuring so you can decide if the clipping is allowable for your needs.

I have been an instructor. For me it is most frustrating when the student is so eager to learn that their acquisition pace prevents building a solid foundation. Sorry, but I am more into helping you out with a specific point than spending huge amount of effort to build a solid foundation beneath a already-standing structure of hasty knowledge.

I tend to put the Christmas tree in the stand before I hang the ornaments. I don't mean to be unkind.
Bob Kulon

Oh, one more thing...[b

Jonathan Wienke

• http://visual-vacations.com/
NEW Adobe RAW Thread
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2005, 11:38:11 am »

1) How to get close--not perfect-color when printing using the RAW option in PS? (Without spending 400.00 on a spider.)
That is a pipe dream, get over it. If you want decent color you MUST use a colorimeter or spectrophotometer to profile your monitor. You're asking how to get sharp photos without having to buy one of those expensive lens things.

Once you have a decently calibrated monitor, read  this article to get the best color possible from ACR.

Lisa Nikodym

• http://www.stanford.edu/~melkor/lisa_pictures/lisa_pictures.html
NEW Adobe RAW Thread
« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2005, 12:32:33 pm »

To respond to your last list of comments:

(1) Yes, confirmed.

(2) Yes, confirmed.  By "standard RAW file", are you talking about the Adobe DNG file format?  That's not quite a RAW file, but something different (and another topic entirely, but not one I know anything more about than LL's article on DNG).

(3) A misconception: The histogram is not of the RAW data, but of what would be written into the TIFF (or JPG) file using the current RAW converter settings.  As you change the settings, the histogram changes.  I'm not sure I quite follow the second half of your comment, but let's see if the following explains anything: Most of the time, the in-camera settings (if you're shooting jpg) and/or the settings one usually uses in ACR to make the image look good (if you're shooting RAW) increase the contrast of the image, because most people think that looks better for images with typical dynamic range.  However, for images with a very large dynamic range, this increase in contrast (by clipping the white & black points) makes the image worse rather than better.  The RAW convertor lets you set the contrast to whatever you prefer for your particular image; if you set the black and white points and contrast in ACR as far as possible to the minimum-contrast extremes, I believe you'll get the full dynamic range of the RAW data (or at least something very similar).  When doing the RAW conversion, you don't need to throw out any more dynamic range than you choose to.

(4) I'm not sure this question is meaningful.  The converter reads the RAW file, displays what the final TIFF will look like with the current settings, and the writes the TIFF when you're done.  Exactly how it does the calculations and stores the intermediate information internally shouldn't be of any particular interest to most people.

(5) Yes, confirmed.

(6) In CS2, virtually everything I ever wish to do (YMMV) is in 16 bit.  I recall that fewer things were available in 8 bit in CS1, however; but there were still very few things I couldn't do in CS1 in 16 bit (YMMV).  Otherwise, yes, confirmed.

(7) Yes, confirmed.

(8) & (9) If you have a spare $25 or so, I strongly recommend getting the book "Real World Camera RAW with Adobe Photoshop CS2" by Bruce Fraser.  It clearly and concisely explains how RAW files work and how to understand and use ACR effectively and quicker, and is completely up-to-date.  It answers precisely the sorts of questions you've had here, but the answers are much more organized and clearer than what we can tell you piecemeal (and will probably answer good questions you didn't think to ask).  It's not very long, either; about one day spent with it will get you going nicely, or a half day if you're a fast learner.  At least take a look at it on amazon or at your local bookstore and see what you think.  (It would also have told you what those blue lines are...)

If you want a quick recipe to start with, though, here's a quick summary of mine:
Use the Adobe RGB color space the whole way (up until you send it to the printer).  Read the RAW file into ACR.  Use Jonathan's method for camera calibration (not essential, but makes the colors coming out of your camera look much nicer) and feed those numbers into ACR as his method says (needs to be done only once, then you use "Save Settings" to save them and "Load Settings" to bring them back in next time).  Set sharpening to "preview only", but adjust everything else in ACR to your heart's content.  Bring it into PS as a 16 bit TIFF.  Do the various image-quality-related adjustments in PS (cropping, local contrast enhancement using USM, Levels, Curves, cloning to remove bad spots, miscellaneous color adjustments, etc.).  Save an archive copy in 16 bit.  Then, before printing, make it 8 bit, resize to an appropriate size & resolution, apply sharpening using either PS or a plug-in program, and save another copy specific for this size if you want.  Print using the paper profile that came with your printer (assuming you're using paper made by the manufacturer).
Then, if you're not happy with the color match between the print and your monitor, buy a hardware monitor calibrator and use it (which you probably will have to do unless you're much less fussy about color matching than ~95% of the people here on this forum).  If you're still not happy with the color match, get a custom profile for your printer and paper for about $50 (which you might or might not do, depending on your level of fussiness).

Good luck (and you're lucky I'm not charging you by the hour  )

Lisa
[url=http://www.stanford.edu/~melkor/lis

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
    • http://www.markdsegal.com
NEW Adobe RAW Thread
« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2005, 06:21:05 pm »

DW: Buy these two books and read large parts of them or reference your questions there: (1) Adobe Camera Raw CS2 by Bruce Fraser, and (2) Adobe Photoshop CS - or soon CS2 - by David Blatner and Bruce Fraser. Everything you are asking about and much more is covered. Often one things relates to another.

Michael Reichmann posted three articles on Workflow in this website (the short-list and the whole-nine-yards). http://www.luminous-landscape.com/techniques/process.shtml
http://www.luminouslandscape.com/tutorials...photoshop.shtml
http://www.luminous-landscape.com/tutorials/workflow1.shtml
It was a while ago but the fundamentals about what to do in what order have not really changed. Excellent, no-nonsense, clear, step-by-step stuff. Good place to start.

Perhaps the most important thing to bear in mind about working with Photoshop is that there is no one answer for anything. There are alternative ways of doing almost anything - including different ideas about the workflow order - and they usually don't produce exactly the same results. Also, it is not really clear that one colour space or one rendering intent is best for ALL images. So you need some systematic foundation in the fundamentals in order to understand what experiments could be useful to undertake for improving images that don't quite make it on the first cut. This stuff is NOT a cookie-cutter. Just as well, otherwise the fun would evaporate quite quickly.
Mark D Segal (formerly MarkDS)
Author: "Scanning Workflows with SilverFast 8....."

abaazov

• http://
NEW Adobe RAW Thread
« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2005, 08:00:53 pm »

bob i have a question. earlier you responded that when using prophot rgb space, you must reconvert it to adobe rgb before printing. why? what happens if you dont?

thanks...
amnon

boku

NEW Adobe RAW Thread
« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2005, 08:25:42 pm »

bob i have a question. earlier you responded that when using prophot rgb space, you must reconvert it to adobe rgb before printing. why? what happens if you dont?

thanks...
amnon
Well, you don't have to, but I found that I cannot properly visualize the print gamut mapping onscreen without converting. For me, print preview and out-of-gamut indicators don't accurately predict the print from Pro-Photo to the paper profile (but they do from Adobe RGB).

I am no expert, so my technique, when forced to use ProPhoto to accomodate "extreme" gamut shots, is to down-convert if all editing is done and I am ready to print. It works well for me.
Bob Kulon

Oh, one more thing...[b

dwdallam

NEW Adobe RAW Thread
« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2005, 08:48:05 pm »

Francois
The Raw converter in CS2, by default, checks off those "auto boxes". Turn them off and save this as you default environment.

You are clipping the shadows. You see that clearly on the histogram. Red indicates that you are clipping highlights, blue clipping shadow. But even if this feature is turned off - see the checkboxes on top - the histogram would announce the condition. The blue and red areas indicate where the clipping is occuring so you can decide if the clipping is allowable for your needs.

I have been an instructor. For me it is most frustrating when the student is so eager to learn that their acquisition pace prevents building a solid foundation. Sorry, but I am more into helping you out with a specific point than spending huge amount of effort to build a solid foundation beneath a already-standing structure of hasty knowledge.

I tend to put the Christmas tree in the stand before I hang the ornaments. I don't mean to be unkind.
LOL. Bob, you are so right about the teaching and learning and tacking "specific" steps. True indeed. Just teach the way you know how focusing on whatever you want to focus on. I'll digest it.

The comments on clipping are already giving me focus. B are with me, and I'll take any help anyway you give it.

At this rate, I'd say by less than a week from now, you will see comments by me that will be very focused ande claer on this subject. Once I get a foothold, and if I understand the concepts, which I feel I have the ability to understand, I really prgress knowledge-wise quickly.

dwdallam

NEW Adobe RAW Thread
« Reply #15 on: October 01, 2005, 08:51:14 pm »

1) How to get close--not perfect-color when printing using the RAW option in PS? (Without spending 400.00 on a spider.)
That is a pipe dream, get over it. If you want decent color you MUST use a colorimeter or spectrophotometer to profile your monitor. You're asking how to get sharp photos without having to buy one of those expensive lens things.

Once you have a decently calibrated monitor, read  this article to get the best color possible from ACR.
OK I'm over it. Any specific hardware you recommend?

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
    • http://www.markdsegal.com
NEW Adobe RAW Thread
« Reply #16 on: October 01, 2005, 09:02:06 pm »

Go to the webpage of the Integrated Color Corporation http://www.integrated-color.com/

and see their package for ColorEyes Display and the DPT-94 colorimeter (which is the same as Monaco Optix XR) - amongst the best available in a reasonable price range.

See the review of this package on this website here:
http://www.luminous-landscape.com/reviews....y.shtml

Read ICCorp's material to be sure that your hardware is suitable for this package. I am using it successfully.
Mark D Segal (formerly MarkDS)
Author: "Scanning Workflows with SilverFast 8....."

dwdallam

NEW Adobe RAW Thread
« Reply #17 on: October 01, 2005, 09:02:13 pm »

(1) Yes, confirmed.

. . . . .
Lisa,

That's great thanks. I understand 99% of what you list here. I was thinking about getting Fraser's book, but was worried that it may be out of date. Now I'll pick it up today.

The printer I'll be using is the professional Noristsu 3.xx printer that all Costco's use. I beleive that theya re calibrated to Adobe RGB, which is why I've gotten such nearly prefect color comapred to my screen using Costco. I think I read that on Dry Creek also. I mean using JPGs, and tehn holding the printed image next to my monitor, I just can't see hardly any difference in color, if any. I was quite amazed by that too.

Ok, on the camera profile, doesn't cannon have one of those? I eman did Jonathan have to create one that even the manufacturer doesn't have? That seems strange.

Thanks.

dwdallam

NEW Adobe RAW Thread
« Reply #18 on: October 01, 2005, 09:03:28 pm »

DW: Buy these two books and read large parts of them or reference your questions there: (1) Adobe Camera Raw CS2 by Bruce Fraser, and (2) Adobe Photoshop CS - or soon CS2 - by David Blatner and Bruce Fraser. Everything you are asking about and much more is covered. Often one things relates to another.

Michael Reichmann posted three articles on Workflow in this website (the short-list and the whole-nine-yards). http://www.luminous-landscape.com/techniques/process.shtml
http://www.luminouslandscape.com/tutorials...photoshop.shtml
http://www.luminous-landscape.com/tutorials/workflow1.shtml
It was a while ago but the fundamentals about what to do in what order have not really changed. Excellent, no-nonsense, clear, step-by-step stuff. Good place to start.

Perhaps the most important thing to bear in mind about working with Photoshop is that there is no one answer for anything. There are alternative ways of doing almost anything - including different ideas about the workflow order - and they usually don't produce exactly the same results. Also, it is not really clear that one colour space or one rendering intent is best for ALL images. So you need some systematic foundation in the fundamentals in order to understand what experiments could be useful to undertake for improving images that don't quite make it on the first cut. This stuff is NOT a cookie-cutter. Just as well, otherwise the fun would evaporate quite quickly.
I actually have Adobe Photoshop CS Bible. I forgot I had it  I'm looking at it on the shelf right now. I have those links and have read them. I'll go back after reading the books if need be.

boku

NEW Adobe RAW Thread
« Reply #19 on: October 01, 2005, 10:28:36 pm »

(1) Yes, confirmed.

. . . . .
Lisa,

That's great thanks. I understand 99% of what you list here. I was thinking about getting Fraser's book, but was worried that it may be out of date. Now I'll pick it up today.

The printer I'll be using is the professional Noristsu 3.xx printer that all Costco's use. I beleive that theya re calibrated to Adobe RGB, which is why I've gotten such nearly prefect color comapred to my screen using Costco. I think I read that on Dry Creek also. I mean using JPGs, and tehn holding the printed image next to my monitor, I just can't see hardly any difference in color, if any. I was quite amazed by that too.

Ok, on the camera profile, doesn't cannon have one of those? I eman did Jonathan have to create one that even the manufacturer doesn't have? That seems strange.

Thanks.
I followed Jonathan's recommended process for camera profiling. The setup for imaging I used was in my studio:

Producing these results after the script ran in Photoshop:

I ordered the Test Plaque: ~$70, 1 week wait

The 20D calibration took about an hour after I set everything up.
Bob Kulon

Oh, one more thing...[b
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up