Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: FS or FT: Mamiya 500/f.5.6  (Read 804 times)

Croxie

• David Croxford Photography
FS or FT: Mamiya 500/f.5.6
« on: July 31, 2014, 05:07:43 am »

Aloha all!
I have a very nice Mamiya 500/f5.6 that was a tad stiff in the focusing when I got it from a guy in Canada. I sent it off to Mamiya in White Plains, before they moved and so this unit is functioning very well after being cleaned and calibrated.  Exposure and focus are right on now and I would however like to shift down focal length wise to the 300/f4.5 IF.  So is there anyone here willing to trade with some cash from my end?  Your 300/4.5IF for my 500/5.6 and cash!

The lens is clear of any fungus, scratches or dust.  There is a minute amount of dust on the interior elements but nothing that affects IQ.  It comes with the original case and two large front element lens caps, in the original Mamiya hard box.

If you're interested let's chat and see if we can move us both toward a mutually positive ending.  I can create pix also. And the door is wide open on price.  I have approx $750 invested in the lens and the repair but realize this praise is way too high, so my loss would be your gain.

thanks for reading thus far and I look forward to hearing from the interested parties.

Aloha

Croxie

Croxie

Re: FS or FT: Mamiya 500/f.5.6
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2014, 06:13:22 am »

Perhaps the post is a little ambiguous ... If there is an offer around $400.00 you can have the lens.  I just didn't want a quick read to read as my needing $750.00 for the lens.
Here's a sample shot from yesterday evening 500/5.6, on a Mamiya 645 AFDII w/P1P40+ back, 1/3200, f8, ISO 1600

kendrab

« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2014, 01:03:58 am »

I am interested in this lens. I just bought a used Mamiya 645 Pro-TL camera today, and need to build up a collection of good lenses. Send me a PM with a few photos, and we will talk.

Thanks

Croxie

« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2014, 05:04:55 am »

Hi Kendrab,
Thanks for your interest in the 500/5.6. It will take me a little time to get the pics for you.  I have a really busy sched this weekend and won't be able to get to it until tomorrow night Hawaii time.

My bottom line is $400.00 plus whatever shipping is with the carrier of your choice.  And so if that is out of your budget then let's save each other some time.

As explained before, I shipped the lens back to Mamiya in White Plains and they overhauled everything.  To me the focusing is still a little on the stiff side and in touching base with Mamiya after I got the lens back, they said, because of it's size and weight, the stiffness serves to eliminate focus creep when the lens is aimed anywhere but horizontal.  In my research with other owners, they too have noted the stiffer focusing.

I have Canon gear along with my Mamiya 645 digital and I expected something equivalent to "L" series glass focusing.  It is clearly not that.  The lens is admirably sharp but again, not "L" series sharp and it does exhibit some CA that can easily be cleaned up with with either Capture One software or Lightroom

I'm sorry to be so blunt, but want you to understand exactly what you'd be purchasing if you decide to buy.  I have shot with it on occasion since having it reconditioned.  I like the look, almost equivalent to 312mm on a 35mm frame, for your 645 Pro TL.  I have a Phase One P40+ back on my AFDII and it is almost 407mm on that combo.

I am looking to switch over to either the 300/4.5 APO, the 300/2.8 APO manual or if I can find one, the 500/4.5 APO.

So, let me know your thoughts about pricing and we'll move from there.  Thanks again for your interest.

Aloha

David aka CROXIE
Pages: [1]   Go Up