Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: your favorite lustre or glossy paper that comes in a 10" roll  (Read 1079 times)

mstevensphoto

• Denver Commercial Photographer

I'm endlessly annoyed that I can't gang 3 8x10's on a 24" roll and end up with exact 8x10's (printer scales up to make it borderless leaving two smaller than 8" and one bigger). Even if I could, I'd rather not spend the time cutting. so, what's your favorite 10" roll of paper for RC prints? I love moab exhibition lustre, but there's no 10" option.

Miles

Re: your favorite lustre or glossy paper that comes in a 10" roll
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2014, 08:20:37 am »

Kodak Professional Inkjet Lustre paper (check BHPhoto) comes in 10" rolls.  Images print very nice on this paper, but you'll fine this paper is rarely mentioned in these forums. 

Ken Doo

• Carmel Fine Art Printing & Reproduction
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2014, 10:24:40 am »

There are few 10" roll options for inkjet rolls.

Kodak Professional Lustre and Epson Lustre were my 10" roll go-to medias; Breathing Color recently started offering 10" rolls of their Vibrance Lustre (with excellent pricing over Kodak and Epson, who both have raised prices recently).

Lustre isn't exactly a real exciting paper, so quality between the choices is really close.  I've shifted to use Breathing Color's Vibrance Lustre.

ken

mstevensphoto

• Denver Commercial Photographer
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2014, 12:10:56 pm »

thanks for the input. I tried a sample of the kodak a while back and was happy with the output but not the thickness, it felt a lot closer to a sheet of copy paper than a thick photograph.

I have a sample roll of the vibrance and so far have been unimpressed, I probably need to put more effort into getting it set up right.

TSJ1927

« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2014, 12:50:14 pm »

http://www.itsupplies.com/InkjetArt-Micro-Ceramic-Luster-10x100-roll

I tried the 13" rolls and I like it..... not my favorite (Canon HW 300 Satin) but prints fine as far as RC papers go.  about 45.00/ 10"x100ft

TSJ1927

« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2014, 12:56:03 pm »

One more & this is what I should have recommended before.  10" rolls are not that plentiful.  But this one is very close to the old DCed Canon Hw Satin 300gsm. My now "go to" RC stock.
http://www.lexjet.com/i-15289-LexJet-Sunset-Photo-eSatin-Paper-300g-10in-x-100ft-SPES1000.aspx

Mike Guilbault

• Mike Guilbault Photography
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2014, 06:56:34 pm »

The trick for getting 3-up 8x10s on a 24" roll is to create a custom paper size of about 24.25 inches.. so a little wider than the actual roll. Place the 3 8x10s in the exact middle... so about 1/8" border on either side. Use the banner paper Retain Size option when printing and Bob's your uncle!  Watch the first time it comes out of the printer and you may have to adjust your margins a little to have it print dead centre.  I think I have a left margin of .275" (.28") on my Epson 9900 and it comes out perfect.  Sometimes the paper shifts a little if you're printing lots of them and you'll get a very thin white border on one side or the other, but not enough to be concerned about and it's much closer to true 8x10" than I ever got from a lab! ;)

Oh.. and I use Epson's Premium Lustre.  Clients seem to like it and I can get it right across the street from my studio without having to pay for shipping.   ;D
Mike Guilbault
Pages: [1]   Go Up