Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: New vs. old Eizo  (Read 2520 times)

lml603

New vs. old Eizo
« on: July 30, 2014, 02:04:31 am »

I found a 4 year old Eizo Coloredge CG222W monitor which is selling for 150 EUR. Can someone tell me why I should buy that one instead of some other new that is selling for similar price like Eizo EV2216WFS3-BK which goes for 190 EUR?

I am not doing photography but I am reading a lot of text (at least 10 hours per day) so I need a good monitor and I thought maybe that Eizo would be good for me.

Thanks for your answers!

Schewe

• http:www.schewephoto.com
Re: New vs. old Eizo
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2014, 02:21:00 am »

How many hours on the display?

lml603

« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2014, 02:24:54 am »

It doesn't say but I presume a lot since it is used by professional photographer. My question is basically: Are the new Eizo monitors technically so much superior that even cheaper newer models are better than the expensive older models?

D Fosse

« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2014, 04:13:00 am »

I'd go for the CG, no question (I have a newer CG246 btw). But I'm a photographer. The CGs are manufactured to extremely tight tolerances in all respects. In your case, however, reading, you might be better off with an EV2436 - not 2416 which has a TN panel (narrow viewing angles), but a 2436 with an IPS panel (wide viewing angles).

The EVs can be set to automatically adjust brightness after ambient light. This is a no-no for a photographer, where you would attempt to control the environment for a fixed monitor brightness, but for reading it might reduce eye strain.

An issue with newer LED monitors is pulse width modulation - IOW flicker. The EV2436 has no PWM until you reach extremely dim levels, so it should be safe. http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/eizo_ev2436w.htm

EDIT: Got the panel sizes mixed up, I see you said 2216. This is also a TN model, but there is no corresponding 22 inch IPS model. That would be the 23 inch EV2336, but I don't know if it is as flicker-free as the 24 inch.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2014, 04:28:54 am by D Fosse »

lml603

« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2014, 06:14:32 am »

So you think that the newer cheaper monitors would be better for reading?
« Last Edit: March 01, 2023, 02:48:49 am by lml603 »

D Fosse

« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2014, 06:51:30 am »

Like I said, I'd go with the CG.

Reading and photography are different animals. But sitting in front of the screen for ten hours I know all about, and that's why I personally would take the CG. At $150 there's nothing to lose even if it has a lot of hours on it. A new one is fifteen times that.

lml603

« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2014, 07:24:18 am »

Great, thanks! Its not so much about the price really. I would give up to 1000$ for a monitor if I knew its good for my eyes. The thing is everyone has different opinion what that is. Maybe I will just make a new topic with that question. Thanks for your help!
Pages: [1]   Go Up