Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Help - Epson 9890 Custom Paper Size Issue  (Read 6856 times)

mgoldstein1029

Help - Epson 9890 Custom Paper Size Issue
« on: July 29, 2014, 07:04:22 pm »

Hello  - I have an Epson 9890 i have used without issue for two years. I had to remove the printer and re- add the printer to my computer and all my custom paper sizes disappeared. Now when I add a new custom size it appears correct in photoshop but will only print a small piece of the image (at full size). If i use their preset roll sizes image prints correctly. Seems to only be when i add a custom paper size that it won't print.

I'm using Mac OSX 10.8.5, and photoshop CS6

all drivers up to date.

Anyone know why and how to fix this??

THank you!!

darlingm

• Westland Printworks
Re: Help - Epson 9890 Custom Paper Size Issue
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2014, 08:40:04 pm »

Hello  - I have an Epson 9890 i have used without issue for two years. I had to remove the printer and re- add the printer to my computer and all my custom paper sizes disappeared. Now when I add a new custom size it appears correct in photoshop but will only print a small piece of the image (at full size). If i use their preset roll sizes image prints correctly. Seems to only be when i add a custom paper size that it won't print.

I'm using Mac OSX 10.8.5, and photoshop CS6

all drivers up to date.

Anyone know why and how to fix this??

THank you!!

Sounds to me like width & height are swapped, or portrait/landscape is swapped.

(If you have a 17" roll in, but the driver tells the printer it's only 10" wide and you send a 14" print, it'll only print as if it was a 10" wide piece of paper.  Everything would be full size, it would just crop the image for you.)
Mike • Westland Printworks
Fine Art Printing • Amazing Artwork Reproduction • Photography
http://www.westlandprintworks.com • (734) 255-9761

mgoldstein1029

« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2014, 08:53:53 pm »

I wish that were the reason…however it is set up correctly.
I can print correctly out of preview and using their default roll settings.
When i print from a custom size it is just a strip of the image printing, not even the whole image
Any other suggestions?

darlingm

• Westland Printworks
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2014, 09:07:13 pm »

I wish that were the reason…however it is set up correctly.
I can print correctly out of preview and using their default roll settings.
When i print from a custom size it is just a strip of the image printing, not even the whole image
Any other suggestions?

Are you printing from a roll, or a cut sheet?

What width is the roll /// what size is the cut sheet?

Is each head pass stopping short, cutting off part of the print?

Or, is it stopping the job early and not passing the heads where the cut off part of the print is?  (If it's this option, does it advance the paper to the correct point, or just stop where it stopped printing?)

Garnick

« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2014, 10:37:11 pm »

I've seen this issue before, but it's been a long time and I don't remember the remedy.  What I would suggest is a reset of your printing system.  In system prefs>print & scan right click in the left window where the printers are displayed.  You'll be presented with the option to "reset the printing system".  That will delete all printers properly as well as any custom paper sizes you have created.  It's very possible that your "old" custom sizes are still installed on the drive and causing a conflict with the new ones you have created.  The reset should clear out everything and give you a clean slate to start again fresh.  Since you likely haven't created many new custom sizes you won't be losing much and it might work.  No harm trying at least.

Gary

« Last Edit: July 30, 2014, 04:16:30 pm by Garnick »
Gary N.
"My memory isn't what it used to be. As a matter of fact it never was." (gan)

mgoldstein1029

« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2014, 10:55:35 pm »

Gary I tried your suggestion earlier today and i was able to print a few prints correctly. Now the issue is back as i add another custom size...

mgoldstein1029

« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2014, 10:57:41 pm »

Printing from a roll. Started off testing a 36" roll, shifted to 24" roll to test with less waste
Each head pass is stopping short, cutting off the print. It is actually printing a column on the right side of canvas, vertically. it is not even passing across the width of the canvas, like the print file is set up and showing in photoshop

Farmer

« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2014, 11:01:21 pm »

Does Print Preview work?  i.e does it show it working correctly?

Are you sure you're using the Epson driver and not the Apple auto update?

Phil Brown

mgoldstein1029

« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2014, 11:05:38 pm »

Does print correctly from Preview

How do i know for sure if i'm using

"Epson driver and not the Apple auto update?"

Wayne Fox

• waynefox.com
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2014, 11:33:52 pm »

Sounds to me like width & height are swapped, or portrait/landscape is swapped.

Agree, this is almost always the cause of this problem (have seen it happen dozens of times).  Best practice is to always enter the width of the paper itself and the height the length that is traveling through the printer.  I've seen many users enter the sizes based on the print they are printing.  

The custom setup is about the sheet of paper being printed on, and has nothing to do with what you are intending to print on it (portrait or landscape image, or the size of the final print that is on the sheet of paper). 

Printing from a roll. Started off testing a 36" roll, shifted to 24" roll to test with less waste
Each head pass is stopping short, cutting off the print. It is actually printing a column on the right side of canvas, vertically. it is not even passing across the width of the canvas, like the print file is set up and showing in photoshop

Are using the same custom paper size for 24" and 36" widths?  If so you can definitely get some strange things as described.

darlingm

• Westland Printworks
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2014, 11:34:00 pm »

If you go into Epson Status Monitor, what width does it show under "Paper Setup from Printer"?  Does it match the roll you have in, or is it reporting smaller?

By "It is actually printing a column on the right side of canvas, vertically" do you mean it's only printing like an inch, advancing the paper, and continuing on that small amount?  Or am I misunderstanding?  If so, exactly how wide is the width that it's printing?

darlingm

• Westland Printworks
« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2014, 11:37:31 pm »

. . .Best practice is to always enter the width of the paper itself and the height the length that is traveling through the printer.  I've seen many users enter the sizes based on the print they are printing. . .

Same way I function now, after throwing a few prints away.  I don't care if I'm printing a 4x5 image -- I tell the driver the width of the roll I have, and just adjust the height.  I never toggle portrait/landscape, and I never use Auto Rotate.  (By the way mgoldstein1029 - are you using Auto Rotate?)

mgoldstein1029

« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2014, 12:25:41 am »

It looks like when i adjust my custom paper sizes, the Epson Printer Utility is NOT changing with my switch. How do i fix this?

as for orientation, i've used custom paper sizes correctly for years…not until i've had to re enter all these custom paper sizes has this problem shown up.

And it is actually printing a partial image. I've attached a photo here, exactly as it came out of printer (if you are looking at the printer).
this was as 18 x 24 print, printing on 24" roll. (printing 18" side on the 24" width so there is white border).  i print this image and it prints just a portion of the image - approximately 6" of the bottom of the file. Print head does not move beyond this 6".

hugowolf

« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2014, 01:01:41 am »

Does print correctly from Preview

I think you misunderstood the question, which was not if it printed from the Mac Preview app, but if the Print Preview box was checked in the driver's dialog, did the on screen preview show that the entire image was intact and was to be printed on one sheet? The screen preview is triggered by the driver, but is generated by the operating system, and isn't color managed but generally shows how the image is to be positioned on the paper.

Brian A

Farmer

« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2014, 01:45:43 am »

Exactly as Brian says in relation to the preview, sorry for any confusion.

In terms of which driver you're using - when you installed it, did you go to an Epson web page and download it and then install it?  If not, you're using the Apple driver - kill it (with extreme prejudice!) and get an Epson driver and install it :-)
Phil Brown

darlingm

• Westland Printworks
« Reply #15 on: July 30, 2014, 02:39:34 am »

It looks like when i adjust my custom paper sizes, the Epson Printer Utility is NOT changing with my switch. How do i fix this?

as for orientation, i've used custom paper sizes correctly for years…not until i've had to re enter all these custom paper sizes has this problem shown up.

And it is actually printing a partial image. I've attached a photo here, exactly as it came out of printer (if you are looking at the printer).
this was as 18 x 24 print, printing on 24" roll. (printing 18" side on the 24" width so there is white border).  i print this image and it prints just a portion of the image - approximately 6" of the bottom of the file. Print head does not move beyond this 6".

If it's in the StatusMonitor area of the Printer Utility that you're talking about, it's reporting what width the printer auto-sensed -- and won't change based on custom paper size you enter.  If you're putting in a 24" roll, it should say width 24" -- if it doesn't, and is saying something much lower -- then the printer is detecting the wrong paper size.

If you're trying to print 18" across a 24" roll, there's a 3" white margin on each side..... And if it's printing about 6" into the image, it's printing about 9" away from the head-side of the roll.  9" is very close to 24cm.  Any way custom paper size is defaulted to metric rather than inches?  I don't think this is the case because my driver uses mm rather than cm, so the metric entry causing it to only print 9" in would be an entry of 240 rather than 24... But wanted to ask in case Mac driver uses cm instead of mm.

Try turning off auto-centering, so it doesn't leave that approx 3" white margin.  See if it prints until the same point on the page, or if it prints only the same part of the image.

mgoldstein1029

« Reply #16 on: July 30, 2014, 01:25:18 pm »

ok let me try some of these things and i'll see what happens.

Does anyone know of (or are any of you) print experts who are willing to remotely log in to my computer and help me sort out these issues via phone? Ideally i would love a reference to someone who i can work with in person (southern california) but i will take help from anywhere, as i already can see i'm not as knowledgable as all of you! 

Wayne Fox

• waynefox.com
« Reply #17 on: July 30, 2014, 06:21:40 pm »

Your picture certainly can be caused by getting some numbers transposed, but I suppose other things could be at play.

Maybe some screen shots of your custom paper setup box, as well as your printer setup and printer dialog boxes would be helpful, as well as information on the file itself (I know if you try and push too much data to the printer things can choke and get pretty funky).

And if you are entering everything correctly and not somehow transposing something (and don’t take it personally, I’ve been printing since the 9600 and I still accidentally do it myself once a year or so), then seems a complete uninstall/reinstall of drivers and set of printing system may be worth a try.

darlingm

• Westland Printworks
« Reply #18 on: August 01, 2014, 01:45:01 pm »

Fixed?  (Curious.)
Pages: [1]   Go Up