Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Tenacity  (Read 1444 times)

churly

Tenacity
« on: July 29, 2014, 04:26:29 pm »

Critique welcome.
Chuck
Chuck Hurich

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
Re: Tenacity
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2014, 04:59:26 pm »

Hmmm... something seems off with that b&w conversion. The sky seems ok, the leaves appear too light, and I would like to see a better tonal separation between the rocks and the tree branches. Overall, those three areas (leaves, branches, rocks) seem to blend into each other, and I think they would benefit from a clearer separation.

sdwilsonsct

« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2014, 07:04:15 pm »

I like the contrast between the blocky stones and the sweeping tree.

A nit: when it comes to clouds, timing is everything. And for "timing", read "luck", mostly.

churly

« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2014, 07:15:50 pm »

Thanks for the thoughts guys.  Agreed on both counts. 
I shot this on a very fine walk with my wife and son but I rarely shoot well on those walks.  Unfortunately the number of keepers over the last couple months has been rock bottom.  :(
Chuck
Chuck Hurich

Paulo Bizarro

• http://www.paulobizarro.com
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2014, 04:39:26 am »

It's a good B&W. Given the light, I am not sure how much more tonal separation can be achieved?

Also, would it have been possible to take the shot from a lower angle, reducing the overlaying between branches and rocks?

maddogmurph

• Maddog's Photography
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2014, 06:01:44 pm »

"luck", mostly.
+1

You need a lightning  :o storm! :o
Maddog Murph
www.depictionsofbeauty.com
Mostly here for constructive feedback.

churly

« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2014, 05:49:57 pm »

When I first saw this last week, I wondered:

- whether the lack of separation between tree (juniper?) and rock was intentional, tree taking-on the enduring quality of rock

- whether tilt-shift would have allowed the plane of focus to be aligned with the direction of the tree into the picture plane

- whether IR would have created a tonal separation between the new growth, and the twisted roots and rock.

Yes, I was trying to convey the tree (a juniper) hanging in there in the frame of the rock (thus the title) but the lack of tonal separation wasn't intentional.  In fact, I think this was a good idea that wasn't supported by the execution or the light or clouds.  I don't have experience with T-S but on an APS sensor, I don't imagine there is enough dof discrimination to work with.  That's just a guess.

I sort of pseudo-IR'd it in the processing at least in terms of pushing the greens to the extreme.  That didn't pass Slobodan's believability filter and I tend to agree.

I am going to let this sit for a while but will likely come back to it if I can identify a processing strategy that will do a better job of getting what I want.  I'm not likely to take the time to do anything about the clouds though.
Chuck Hurich
Pages: [1]   Go Up