Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Miracle muck, gatorfoam, and resin-coated papers  (Read 1410 times)

PeterAit

• Peter Aitken Photographs
Miracle muck, gatorfoam, and resin-coated papers
« on: July 29, 2014, 08:41:54 am »

I asked a while back if this combination would work and the general consensus was that it wouldn't because the muck would not adhere well to the paper. I thought I'd give it a try anyway, and turns out it works just fine - after drying overnight I tried to pry the paper off the gatorfoam with a fingernail and could not get it to budge. Gives me some more mounting options when I want the superior gamut and dynamic range of paper.

Justin B

Re: Miracle muck, gatorfoam, and resin-coated papers
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2014, 09:11:00 am »

This is pretty interesting. Thanks for sharing.

Too bad the printed surface of RC photo papers are so sensitive. This is why face mounting or sandwiching to plexi is so attractive.

For an open-faced mounting like this, I'd probably rather mount a baryta paper which is a bit more durable.
Justin Bodin
Breathing Color

Ernst Dinkla

« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2014, 04:54:00 pm »

The backsides of RC papers differ quite a lot and it would not surprise me if some qualities with a plain polyethylene barrier there will not give a bond with Miracle Muck.

--
Met vriendelijke groet, Ernst

http://www.pigment-print.com/spectralplots/spectrumviz_1.htm
April 2014, 600+ inkjet media white spectral plots.

mstevensphoto

• Denver Commercial Photographer
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2014, 05:49:52 pm »

I'd be interested to know your process.

sadly my issues with mounted RC papers have taken 1-3 years to reveal themselves and have never failed to do so.

while testing, before selling, you might consider:

expose your sample to direct intense sunlight (like outside where it can get properly hot)

see if you can simulate dramatic humidity and temperature changes

see how things stand after some environmental abuse. my past experience humidity and temperature are precipitators of delimitation. usually in the form of ugly bubbles.

PeterAit

• Peter Aitken Photographs
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2014, 06:15:52 pm »

I'd be interested to know your process.

sadly my issues with mounted RC papers have taken 1-3 years to reveal themselves and have never failed to do so.

while testing, before selling, you might consider:

expose your sample to direct intense sunlight (like outside where it can get properly hot)

see if you can simulate dramatic humidity and temperature changes

see how things stand after some environmental abuse. my past experience humidity and temperature are precipitators of delimitation. usually in the form of ugly bubbles.

You mean delamination, I think. But, you seem to be mistaking me for Consumer Reports <g>!

mstevensphoto

• Denver Commercial Photographer
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2014, 06:19:14 pm »

I do indeed mean delamination, my computer seems to think delimitation is also an issue to consider :)

I'm not suggesting that you do those experiments on my behalf, just if you're selling the work you may want to investigate further. nothing like having something come back in x years with an ugly problem you have to apologize for.
Pages: [1]   Go Up