Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 24" or 36"+ printer needed  (Read 1522 times)

geezerhood

24" or 36"+ printer needed
« on: July 28, 2014, 05:37:16 pm »

Looking to purchase a wide carriage printer in the very near future. Minimum width needed is 24".  Would prefer 36"+ wide if it isn't a bunch more than a comparable 24" model.
The printer will be used for printing images for display in a gallery, including but not limited to:

Color prints, mostly outdoor / nature, printed on gloss papers and some matte / semi gloss. Smallest display print will be 24" on the shortest dimension
Black & White prints, mostly outdoor stuff, matte finished / semi gloss, smallest probably 20" on the shortest dimension
Reproductions of artwork in color and black and white, oil paintings, pastels, watercolors, on canvas and watercolor type papers. Sizes from tiny to the max width available from the printer.

I want a printer that produces the best that the industry can offer for color and black and white prints (short of a dedicated B&W printer for those) and is relatively easy to maintain if there is such a thing.  I have never owned or used a wide format printer, but I have grown to hate all my Epson printers, so I am hesitant to even consider another one unless they have made some major changes in the last 5 years which I supposed leaves me with Canon and HP, but which models should I be looking at?
--------------------------------------------------

My search on here for 24" Printer or 36" Printers comes up empty.  My Google searches have been disappointing.

What I don't want to do is overlook a printer that I SHOULD have gotten simply because my Google and analytical skills stink.   I am hoping that someone can point me to a page where the latest 24" and 36"+ photo printers are reviewed / compared. Certainly such places exists, but I am not having any luck finding them.

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer me.

Regards,

Don

JeanMichel

Re: 24" or 36"+ printer needed
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2014, 07:27:53 pm »

Hi,
Large format printer sizes are 24, 44, and 64 inches wide. If space permits, get the one size larger than you think you need. I have a 24" Epson 7890 and often wished I had made room for  the larger 44" 9890. Yo can always print smaller ona larger printer.
Jean-Michel

PeterAit

• Peter Aitken Photographs
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2014, 08:32:59 am »

There's a ton of stuff here on LuLa about printers, but it won't be found with a search for 24 inch or 36 inch. What I suggest is learning the model names and numbers of the current 24 and 44 inch printers from the 3 major players, and perhaps one model # back, and googling for that, for example "Epson 7900 review". You might also just browse the printers forum for relevant information.

You'll get terrific print quality from any current pigment printer. Maintenance and reliability are big factors, but that's really impossible to evaluate in a review. Anecdotal stories almost always focus on problems, people don't post "ho-hum, my XXX printer just completed another 6 months without any problems." For example, I had an Epson 4880 for 2 years and now have been using a 7900 for almost 2 years with only a few minor issues. But, you'll find a few people who have suffered awful problems with an Epson (or Canon, or HP). Basically, "you takes your pick and you takes your chances."

David Eckels

• It's just a camera.
    • Website
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2014, 10:17:46 am »

Brand new to large format printing, but just purchased a Canon ipf8400. Assembly went just fine, though I had to take the stand pieces from the garage, assemble in my studio, then hire two young guys to carry the 100 kg head in and set it on the stand. First prints have been great, but I have not optimized my process yet. Setting up a "wireless" version required purchase of a range extender for my network, but so far it works flawlessly. Just my recent experience for your consideration. Good luck.
BTW, pricing from vendors is much lower than from Canon although for about a $1500 premium, Canon will come to your location, assemble the printer, and set it up for you. DIY, I figured I saved about a grand.

geezerhood

Leaning towards Canon
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2014, 04:29:33 pm »

OK - I waded through the Canon / Epson / HP web sites and tried to find what I could about their top of the line models here on LL. Despite the many hours spent, I still feel like the ideal printer for me is out there, but I am unable to find it.

I almost bought a used Epson 9900 with under 800 print count, locally today for $1800. After looking at the cost of a new head if it was ever needed, that put me off permanently on the used / no warranty Epson idea.

As for size, a 36" should take care of 90% of all my printing needs.

My conclusion is that the top of the line Canon printers seem to be the logical choice for me when factoring in my deeply seated (albeit perhaps unfounded with the current production models) EBHP - (Epson Blocked Head Phobia) and that HP is apparently moving away from producing large format photo printers(?).  

The price of Canon's 24" 6400 is attractive, but I think I will regret the size choice later. Unfortunately, Canon doesn't seem to offer a 36" wide that uses the same design as the 8400 and the 6400. Is there a 36" printer out there from HP or Canon that matches the print quality and ease of black and white output that the 8400 / 6400 has that I have missed?  If not, then I guess I am going to have to go with the 8400.

Thanks for your help.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2014, 10:48:13 pm by geezerhood »

mstevensphoto

• Denver Commercial Photographer
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2014, 12:14:40 pm »

for what it's worth, I was talked into the 44" canon by a canon rep when I wanted the 24" canon. I couldn't be happier. 65% of my work is done on 24" rolls BUT the savings in producing a 40x40" canvas myself very quickly paid for the printer.

watch the promos and deals. My 44" ipf8300 ended up being something like $200 more than the 24" after rebate and discount and that sealed the deal.

still stuck, call itsupplies.com, they're very helpful.

jeffreybehr

• Happily retired accountant
Re: Leaning towards Canon
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2014, 01:56:18 pm »

As for size, a 36" should take care of 90% of all my printing needs.

Unfortunately, Canon doesn't seem to offer a 36" wide that uses the same design as the 8400 and the 6400. Is there a 36" printer out there from HP or Canon that matches the print quality and ease of black and white output that the 8400 / 6400 has that I have missed?  

Geezer, did you miss the JeanMichel's first reply to your original post?  WF printers are available in 24", 44", and 64" versions.
Pages: [1]   Go Up