Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: The Photographer's Ephemeris - Desktop EOL 2 Sep 2014  (Read 1787 times)

dreed

The Photographer's Ephemeris - Desktop EOL 2 Sep 2014
« on: July 28, 2014, 05:32:04 pm »

One app that I have used a lot is the desktop version of TPE. Unfortunately that is being EOL'd due to Google as of 2 Sep 2014.

I've tried the browser based version and it just isn't as good - it replaces the right side information bar with what is essentially advertising rubbish.

Not being a tablet owner, there is no desire/need for me to own the tablet version.

Are there any other apps out there that people use in its place?

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
Re: The Photographer's Ephemeris - Desktop EOL 2 Sep 2014
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2014, 09:11:21 pm »

What does EOL'd mean?

wtlloyd

« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2014, 09:29:28 pm »

'End of Life'.

duane_bolland

• flexiblelightphotography.com
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2014, 02:13:49 am »

I’ve never used the desktop version, but I found the browser version to be minimally adequate and the iPhone version is really nice.  I have no need for a tablet either, but the iPhone is a seriously useful tool.  Besides TPE, I use Tide Graph, a DOF calculator, Pocket Universe and more.  TPE in your pocket trumps TPE on your desktop any day. 

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2014, 11:14:42 am »

I use TPE in my Samsung Galaxy S4 and it works very nice.   The only problem I have is that sometimes the on-board compass does not seem to effect it so you can't line up North etc.    I re-calibrate my compass using another APP.  Anyone else run into this problem?  How do you deal with it?

NancyP

« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2014, 01:45:16 pm »

TPE on the iPhone here. Also SkySafari basic for the astro-landscape planning. I have not yet fiddled with PhotoPill. I have been using the compass app on the phone more, am taking notes (on the phone) about sites that I would like to revisit for sunrise/sunset shots, etc.
Pages: [1]   Go Up