Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Opening Image from Lightroom to Photoshop with any Profile  (Read 714 times)

Robert Ardill

• Images of Ireland
Opening Image from Lightroom to Photoshop with any Profile
« on: July 28, 2014, 09:41:25 am »

On the “A Workflow with Beta RGB” topic, we've been saying things like: "Lightroom doesn't allow opening the image into Photoshop in anything except sRGB, AdobeRGB or ProPhoto RGB".

Andrew has mentioned once or twice that one can export from Lightroom to any profile, so of course it's always possible to do an export with Open to Photoshop as the final step and in that way we can open an image from Lightroom to Photoshop with whatever profile we want.

Alternatively, as I mentioned, we can open the image as a raw Smart Object and then immediately convert to the desired working space (or other profile). As the Smart Object contains the raw image, no damage is done as Photoshop (presumably) only re-renders the document from the raw image.

An alternative which suits my workflow well is to "Show in Explorer" from Lightroom and just double-click on it. This will open the image in ACR, with all of the Lightroom adjustments (if these are saved in the xmp sidecar).  At this point the image can be opened with any profile desired, as a rendered image or as a smart object.

I thought I would mention this as it's one of these simple work-arounds that's quite easy to miss (as I've been doing!).  Hopefully Adobe will remove the restrictions in Lightroom so that we won't need to use annoying workarounds like these in future.

Robert

Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it. - George Santayana
Pages: [1]   Go Up