Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Best Buy Question #2  (Read 3916 times)

Steven M Anthony

• www.smaphoto.com
Best Buy Question #2
« on: September 29, 2005, 04:42:16 pm »

First, thanks for all your responses to my first question.  Here is question 2:

We all have our favorite place(s) to buy photography gear.  What’s yours and what keeps you going (physically or virtually) there?  Specific stories are helpful—like if you go to Bill & Ted’s because they are knowledgeable, give an example of how they proved that to you.

Thanks!

Steve
Steve

[url=http://www.smaphoto.co

howard smith

Best Buy Question #2
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2005, 04:55:55 pm »

I like B&H and Abe's of Maine for internet buys.  They have what they say they have at the price they quote.  I've never had a problem that wasn't quickly resolved, but usually no problems at all.  The last couple interactions with B&H were eeven friendly and helpful.

I used to buy equipment from Del's in Santa Barbara, CA but I fear he is gone.  He cost a little more for used equipment but there was never any question about the cost or the condition of the equipment being bought.  I sold some gear there once and there was absolutely no hassle.  I described the gear as "Like new" and he agreed at once.  My overall opinion was Del was honest.

I value honesty.

Steven M Anthony

• www.smaphoto.com
Best Buy Question #2
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2005, 05:06:57 pm »

I like B&H and Abe's of Maine for internet buys.  They have what they say they have at the price they quote.  I've never had a problem that wasn't quickly resolved, but usually no problems at all.  The last couple interactions with B&H were eeven friendly and helpful.

I used to buy equipment from Del's in Santa Barbara, CA but I fear he is gone.  He cost a little more for used equipment but there was never any question about the cost or the condition of the equipment being bought.  I sold some gear there once and there was absolutely no hassle.  I described the gear as "Like new" and he agreed at once.  My overall opinion was Del was honest.

I value honesty.
Howard:

You bring up 2 interesting points.  The easy one first--how do you know (or probably better, how do you sense) when the sales staff at your favorites are being honest?  What clues or cues do you pick up on?

I don't think I'm reading too much into you comment about your last couple of interactions with B&H being helpful and friendly...!    Thinking back to the times before they were friendly & helpful at places like B&H, why did you continue to purchase from them?
Steve

howard smith

Best Buy Question #2
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2005, 05:29:25 pm »

Honesty is a hard quailty to nail down on first impression.  At Del's, I was impressed that they didn't try to sell me what they had, but addressed what I said I wanted.  Whether they had it or not.  They refused to trash gear just because they didn't have it.

Del's didn't "bait and switch."  On used trade-ins, I described what I had and they found it as described.  They never tried to cheapen the deal.

I once bought a wide angle Wisner form Del's.  It was a special order item.  I wanted to cancel the order when I found out Wisner could not deliver on the 4x12" film holder but insisted I buy the camera anyway.  Del stepped in, cancelled the order and gave my money back, including the special order Nikon lens for the camera.

Other people I knew had dealt with Del and had very similar experiences.  They also sensed he was honest.  I have never heard of an unhappy customer at Del's.

Now for B&H.  I returned even though some interactions were abrupt (rude may be a bit harsh).  I found if I knew what I wanted and had no questions, B&H delivered.  Last time, I had a couple of questions.  For example, I had a question regarding a rebate.  The salesman carefully told me I had a mail in rebate and a B&H rebate.  The B&H rebate was correctly reflected on the credit card bill.  I got the mail in rebate from Canon.  I actually got a few dollars more than I had originally figured.

I perceive B&H as honest.  The difference between B&H and Dels's likely had more to do with dealing over the internet/phone (B&H) or face to face (Del).  There is something to be said for looking the salesman in the eyes.

Jay Kaplan

Best Buy Question #2
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2005, 08:45:06 pm »

I have bought most of my camera equipment from Cooper's Camera Mart here in Baltimore. They have been in business for quite a long time, have two stores, and the sales people have been with them a long time. They are knowledgeable and don't try to pressure you into buying something just because they happen to have that item in stock.

Are they the cheapest, no, but they do offer regular customers a discount on many purchases, cameras as-well-as accessories.

There is another store, Standard Camera, that is a little closer to where I live, but I have not tried them as yet. They also have a good reputation, but I am comfortable working with the people at Cooper's.

I have bought some equipment, mostly prime lenses on eBay and have been satisfied with each purchase. You just cannot find original equipment lenses for a 36 year old camera just anywhere.

howard smith

Best Buy Question #2
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2005, 09:23:04 pm »

Jim Cramer (MAd Money) has Best Buy as a "Best of Breed" sock buy.  I have shopped at the local stores for music CDs then bought them at Best Buy becay=use they were cheaper and in stock.

kbolin

• http://www.bolinphoto.com
Best Buy Question #2
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2005, 12:04:22 am »

By local and develop a relationship with one store.  I have and over the years have had the opportunity to "trial" test equipment before purchasing... and on occasion using equipment for a day or so on occasional shoots.  I pay the same at the store as I would on the net especially if I had to pay for all the times I used their gear.

Anon E. Mouse

• http://
Best Buy Question #2
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2005, 12:29:03 am »

I go to B&H when I know what I want, which is most of the time. I go to B&H because I do not have to deal with sales clerks and they have a large selection, good prices, and deliver quickly. I really hate having to deal with sales people. I do not shop at Adorama because of a rude member of their sales staff. B&H is not great, but the internet gets around having to deal with their sales people.

If I have to go to a store for more information, I will purchase at that store because they did the work.

nnmmaa

Best Buy Question #2
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2005, 07:32:50 am »

First, thanks for all your responses to my first question.  Here is question 2:

We all have our favorite place(s) to buy photography gear.  What’s yours and what keeps you going (physically or virtually) there?  Specific stories are helpful—like if you go to Bill & Ted’s because they are knowledgeable, give an example of how they proved that to you.

Thanks!

Steve
The development of digital photography has made the hobby of photography much more interesting than it was previously. Having a long standing interest I was surprised how difficult it was to answer your question.

Years ago there were many small local shops to choose among. At that time I didn't realize i was dissatified with the service I received-- bored salesmen barely able to conceal their disdain for an amateur who could not afford the latest Nikon. Now, nearly all the small shops are gone, replaced by a couple of big photo retailers, one caters to the pros and the other to the masses. Each store has an attitude. Either sales associates are opinionated and uninformed (two years ago: digital is no good, never will equal film. Now they say that ink jet printers are ALL no good) or bored and uninterested (sound familiar).

For me the process is now clear: (1) Forget the oldline photomagazines. Use the web to research many sources. Know exactly what you want. You can't depend on a salesman to be truly knowledgeable about the technology of digital photography (2) Deal with web retailers who have what they advertise and deal fairly with their customers.

Steven M Anthony

• www.smaphoto.com
Best Buy Question #2
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2005, 10:34:58 am »

By local and develop a relationship with one store.  I have and over the years have had the opportunity to "trial" test equipment before purchasing... and on occasion using equipment for a day or so on occasional shoots.  I pay the same at the store as I would on the net especially if I had to pay for all the times I used their gear.
Do you tend to deal with the same person at the store, or do you get that level of service from anyone in the store?
Steve

Steven M Anthony

• www.smaphoto.com
Best Buy Question #2
« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2005, 11:13:12 am »

I go to B&H when I know what I want, which is most of the time. I go to B&H because I do not have to deal with sales clerks and they have a large selection, good prices, and deliver quickly. I really hate having to deal with sales people. I do not shop at Adorama because of a rude member of their sales staff. B&H is not great, but the internet gets around having to deal with their sales people.

If I have to go to a store for more information, I will purchase at that store because they did the work.
When you say you "go to B&H," are you going there via the internet, in person, or both?

Also, how do you find out about the gear you end up deciding to buy?
Steve

Steven M Anthony

• www.smaphoto.com
Best Buy Question #2
« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2005, 11:36:08 am »

The development of digital photography has made the hobby of photography much more interesting than it was previously. Having a long standing interest I was surprised how difficult it was to answer your question.

Years ago there were many small local shops to choose among. At that time I didn't realize i was dissatified with the service I received-- bored salesmen barely able to conceal their disdain for an amateur who could not afford the latest Nikon. Now, nearly all the small shops are gone, replaced by a couple of big photo retailers, one caters to the pros and the other to the masses. Each store has an attitude. Either sales associates are opinionated and uninformed (two years ago: digital is no good, never will equal film. Now they say that ink jet printers are ALL no good) or bored and uninterested (sound familiar).

For me the process is now clear: (1) Forget the oldline photomagazines. Use the web to research many sources. Know exactly what you want. You can't depend on a salesman to be truly knowledgeable about the technology of digital photography (2) Deal with web retailers who have what they advertise and deal fairly with their customers.
I hear you on that one.  I remember being very intimidated when I bought my Minolta 201 from a local shop 30 years ago.

I had a similar experience last year when I bought some stuff from Adorama.  Someone from Adorama called after I made my online purchase and told me I didn't want the UV filter I had ordered.  But it turns out I clicked on the wrong size for the lens I purchased it for--so it was a good thing!
Steve

Pages: [1]   Go Up