Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Which carbon ink sets are 100% carbon?  (Read 1635 times)

Ligament

Which carbon ink sets are 100% carbon?
« on: July 28, 2014, 03:58:49 am »

I'm new to the printing world, this is probably a very basic question for you guys.

As far as I understand, there are two carbon ink sets: Piezography and MIS Eboni.

Piezography has multiple versions of various tone. I assume these versions contain pigment ink to tone the carbon.

The question is:
1. Which versions are 100% carbon without any added color pigments?
2. What differences are there between the 100% carbon Piezography and 100% carbon Eboni ink sets in the final print?
3. Which of the various ink sets from these manufacturers offer the best permanence (paper being the same)?

Thanks in advance!

Paul Roark

Re: Which carbon ink sets are 100% carbon?
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2014, 10:59:45 am »

MIS's "Eboni" inksets are 100% carbon.  MIS PK, LK, and LLK are also 100% carbon.  I believe Jon Cone's carbon sepia is also 100% carbon.  All of the other B&W inksets and the OEM LK and LLK inks have color pigments blended into the carbon. It can take approximately 50% color pigment to 50% glossy carbon to make a neutral gray ink.

See http://www.aardenburg-imaging.com/ for the lightfastness tests of Eboni and Carbon Sepia.

Although I have not updated it recently, page 2 of http://www.paulroark.com/BW-Info/Eboni-6.pdf has some delta-e numbers from these tests that give a quick comparison of inksets.

Eboni is unique in that it is the most neutral of the carbon inksets.  (Bob Zeiss, founder of MIS, and I spent a lot of time looking for and testing carbon pigments to find the one that gave the best dmax and was relatively cool/neutral.)  At page 10 of http://www.paulroark.com/BW-Info/Eboni-6.pdf I have a graph of the Lab B values for Eboni-6 on Epson Hot Press Natural, one of the most neutral-printing papers.  Lab B values measure the warmth of carbon most clearly.  At the low end, Epson Hot Press will hold the increase in Lab B from the paper white to the maximum value to about 1.5.  Many papers are in the range of an increase of 4 to 5.  MIS PK, LK, and LLK as well as Cone carbon sepia have increases on matte paper of about 8.  Carbon on glossy paper can reach a Lab B value increase of 14.

When we judge the warmth of a print, our eyes will use a nearby white reference for our brain's "auto white balance."  Thus, I find the paper white to maximum Lab B to be more significant than the absolute Lab B values for judging the warmth of prints that are aimed at being hung on the walls.  With the relatively neutral printing papers like Epson Hot Press, the maximum Lab B of the print will be about the same warmth as a natural white mat board.  I currently recommend Alpharag Artcare, 8 ply, Pearl White, #8647.8.

(Note that one of the variables in warmth for most papers is the drop size.  Larger drops are cooler.  With my old 7500, I could make a print on Premier Art Smooth Fine Art Bright White that had a Lab B value (absolute, not relative to paper base) that never went above Lab B = 0.  That is, I could actually make a cold, 100% carbon print.  However, the paper does have brighteners, and I do not recommend the 7500 as a printer.  You need the modern Epson large format cart-to-printer coupling to be able to reliably remove the carts for agitation.  All pigments settle; Eboni settles slightly faster than the OEM dilute pigments according to my centrifuge testing.)

I might add that with Eboni-6 and QTR, printing on uncoated Arches watercolor paper becomes very feasible.  I consider "full sheets" (22 x 30 inches) of Arches Hot Press printed with Eboni-6 to be my top medium where one wants the absolute best possibility of a print that will actually last and look good for hundreds of years.

(Note that I have no financial connection with MIS or the sale of "Eboni" inks.  I just design what I want on an open source basis, and MIS has chosen to commercialize some of these designs.  To avoid undo profiteering from my work, I also publish the formula for a generic dilution base for Eboni MK, which MIS also decided to commercialize, but at a very inexpensive price.)

Hope this helps.

Paul
www.PaulRoark.com

Ligament

Re: Which carbon ink sets are 100% carbon?
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2014, 04:17:28 pm »

Wow Paul, what a great response. thanks so much!

MIS's "Eboni" inksets are 100% carbon.  MIS PK, LK, and LLK are also 100% carbon.  I believe Jon Cone's carbon sepia is also 100% carbon.  All of the other B&W inksets and the OEM LK and LLK inks have color pigments blended into the carbon. It can take approximately 50% color pigment to 50% glossy carbon to make a neutral gray ink.

See http://www.aardenburg-imaging.com/ for the lightfastness tests of Eboni and Carbon Sepia.

Although I have not updated it recently, page 2 of http://www.paulroark.com/BW-Info/Eboni-6.pdf has some delta-e numbers from these tests that give a quick comparison of inksets.

Eboni is unique in that it is the most neutral of the carbon inksets.  (Bob Zeiss, founder of MIS, and I spent a lot of time looking for and testing carbon pigments to find the one that gave the best dmax and was relatively cool/neutral.)  At page 10 of http://www.paulroark.com/BW-Info/Eboni-6.pdf I have a graph of the Lab B values for Eboni-6 on Epson Hot Press Natural, one of the most neutral-printing papers.  Lab B values measure the warmth of carbon most clearly.  At the low end, Epson Hot Press will hold the increase in Lab B from the paper white to the maximum value to about 1.5.  Many papers are in the range of an increase of 4 to 5.  MIS PK, LK, and LLK as well as Cone carbon sepia have increases on matte paper of about 8.  Carbon on glossy paper can reach a Lab B value increase of 14.

When we judge the warmth of a print, our eyes will use a nearby white reference for our brain's "auto white balance."  Thus, I find the paper white to maximum Lab B to be more significant than the absolute Lab B values for judging the warmth of prints that are aimed at being hung on the walls.  With the relatively neutral printing papers like Epson Hot Press, the maximum Lab B of the print will be about the same warmth as a natural white mat board.  I currently recommend Alpharag Artcare, 8 ply, Pearl White, #8647.8.

(Note that one of the variables in warmth for most papers is the drop size.  Larger drops are cooler.  With my old 7500, I could make a print on Premier Art Smooth Fine Art Bright White that had a Lab B value (absolute, not relative to paper base) that never went above Lab B = 0.  That is, I could actually make a cold, 100% carbon print.  However, the paper does have brighteners, and I do not recommend the 7500 as a printer.  You need the modern Epson large format cart-to-printer coupling to be able to reliably remove the carts for agitation.  All pigments settle; Eboni settles slightly faster than the OEM dilute pigments according to my centrifuge testing.)

I might add that with Eboni-6 and QTR, printing on uncoated Arches watercolor paper becomes very feasible.  I consider "full sheets" (22 x 30 inches) of Arches Hot Press printed with Eboni-6 to be my top medium where one wants the absolute best possibility of a print that will actually last and look good for hundreds of years.

(Note that I have no financial connection with MIS or the sale of "Eboni" inks.  I just design what I want on an open source basis, and MIS has chosen to commercialize some of these designs.  To avoid undo profiteering from my work, I also publish the formula for a generic dilution base for Eboni MK, which MIS also decided to commercialize, but at a very inexpensive price.)

Hope this helps.

Paul
www.PaulRoark.com
Pages: [1]   Go Up