Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Sony a6000 ?  (Read 6103 times)

David Anderson

• http://www.twigwater.com
Sony a6000 ?
« on: July 25, 2014, 02:16:30 am »

How do you guys rate the Sony a6000 as a lazy pocket replacement for a DSLR ?
The lens reviews I see seem hit & miss for the sony stuff and I hear there may be issues with AF and the Zeiss Touit lenses ?

peterottaway

Re: Sony a6000 ?
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2014, 09:00:06 am »

I own the older Nex 7 rather than the newer hybrid focus A6000 and when used sensibly have not had any problems with the AF. The A6000 AF covers some 92% of the screen area and whilst not as fast as say something like the Nikon 4s at 5 to 6 times the price is considered pretty good. With a decently performing lens. After all even Fuji makes its claims for the X-T1 with the 14mm wide rather than its 50 - 230 zoom lens.

Don't own any of the Zeiss lenses as I have moved on to the A7r and so am more interested in FE lenses. But like any higher cost lenses they do attract some vigorous opinions over value for money. As Zeiss take their reputation seriously I would suggest you look out for an Otto Preminger lookalike with his second carrying  sabres   ;D

MikeyIdaho

Re:
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2014, 10:31:43 am »

Don't have any complaints with my a6000, the only thing you'll notice often when switching from a DSLR is the reduced battery life you get with a mirrorless camera. Only Sony lens I have is the 35mm f1.8 and it's been great for me, the autofocus with that lens in continuous is fast and accurate with a high rate of keepers in my experience using mid burst to track kids running around. Also have the Sigma 60mm f2.8 which is a fantastic sharp lens for portraits or just other mild telephoto work, only complaint is the continuous focus tracking only works in a small square in the middle of the frame. So if you want continuous focus tracking across the whole frame stick to Sony and Zeiss e mount. Also just picked up the Rokinon 12mm f2.0, fully manual but less than half the price of the Sony and Zeiss ultra wide lenses.

David Anderson

« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2014, 02:51:29 am »

As Zeiss take their reputation seriously I would suggest you look out for an Otto Preminger lookalike with his second carrying  sabres   ;D

Straight over my head... :-[ ;D
I googled Otto and if you're talking about the film director, we appear to have the same hair cut, but the rest of it  ?

Anyway, thanks for the opinions... 8)

mdijb

• mdiimaging.com
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2014, 11:06:24 pm »

I just returned from a week in the high country in Colorado, Using the A7r and the A6000.  I initially thought the shutter vibration problems was a non issue, but after seeing it myself and reading multiple articles, I found this to be irritating.  I do not want to have to shoot at 1600  or above to get exposures above the affected exposure times range during the day--all the time.  In addition I struggled with the limited DOF that comes with full frame sensors--it was hard to get everything sharp, near to far  I decided to use the A6000, and put the A7r aside  and give it a workout.

I found the image quality to very good, especially when using good glass like the SOny 10-18 zoom.-- I got many razor sharp images, excellent DOF, and very good colors.  The camera was not perfect or as accurate and the A7r image colors, but it got me to 90-95% the way in my judgement.  The noise level were very small and less than what I was getting with A7r set to 1600 -3200.

WHy should I have to deal with Noise on every  image taken in bright daylight with an expensive camera to avoid the shutter vibration problem.

Once I customized the buttons, the camera was a pleasure to use and I could concentrate on image making without the above issues with the A7r noted above lurking in my thoughts and interfering with the creative process.  I realize I will be giving up a small amount of IQ, but for my type of usage and print making, the compromise is acceptable and small.  I also enjoyed the ability to get many excellent hand held images

As a result I am seriously considering trading in the A7r and getting excellent zoom lenses for the A6000 and getting a second body.

If you can I suggest renting, testing and judging for yourself.

MDIJB
mdiimaging.com

David Anderson

« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2014, 12:16:01 am »

Yeah, it's probably time to actually try one instead of all this internet action.. :D

Cheers for the detailed response.

ripgriffith

• ripsart.com
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2014, 01:57:30 am »

Straight over my head... :-[ ;D
I'm glad someone else doesn't have a clue what you're talking about... do you?  ???

Tony Cunningham

« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2014, 05:40:32 am »

MDIJB

Thanks MDIJB for that informative post. I was seriously thinking about an A7R to replace my NEX-7, but will take your advice and rent first. I suspect the result will be optimizing my APS-C lenses and leaving it at that.
Pages: [1]   Go Up