Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Point Reyes  (Read 2011 times)

Dave Pluimer

• Dave Pluimer Photography
Point Reyes
« on: July 24, 2014, 03:18:46 pm »

Did a search and didn't find a lot of recent posts on the subject.

Any tips or input for landscape/seascape locations in Point Reyes? Not really interested in taking postcard photos - something unique if it's possible. Probably going Monday afternoon and evening.

Mark Ogden

Re: Point Reyes
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2014, 03:55:58 pm »

I'll give you a tip about Point Reyes that has nothing to do with photography: it's a big damn speed trap.  Watch the needle around Inverness and Point Reyes Station. >:(

mshea

« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2014, 11:06:01 am »

I'd say drive the Sir Francis Drake Blvd to the end where the various overlooks are located; also the Drake Beach Road. There are various dairy farms, established in the 19th Century, still operating and delineated as "Farm A", B, C, etc.; a couple of them abandoned and worth a wander around. And hope that the fog lifts for a nice sunset along the cliffs. Conditions can change at the last minute, so stick around. The visitor center is very nice, but I wouldn't bother to drop in; better to take the time to explore. The northern portion has an abandoned dairy farm that's been maintained in a state of "arrested decay" and from there you can wander in search of Tule elk.

Merrill

Mark Ogden

« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2014, 03:44:58 pm »

The person who really has Point Reyes covered is Bob Hitchman, and I don't know if he ever shows up here.  You may want to go to his website, www.photographamerica.com, and throw down for issue #87 which has all the good spots.  It's more oriented for winter shooting, but still worth having for the insider tips.

maddogmurph

• Maddog's Photography
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2014, 06:36:49 pm »

I'll give you a tip about Point Reyes that has nothing to do with photography: it's a big damn speed trap.  Watch the needle around Inverness and Point Reyes Station. >:(

:o :o :o :-*

Tip #2 - Save our Oysters is a sensitive topic!
Maddog Murph
www.depictionsofbeauty.com
Mostly here for constructive feedback.

Vladimir Steblina

« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2014, 02:49:34 pm »

Way back in the 1970's the Sierra Club published a book on Pt. Reyes called an "Island in Time".  Lots of nice photos in the book.

For a more pedestrian treatment of Pt. Reyes you can look at my blog postings on Pt. Reyes.  Mid-day photographs, but it gives you an idea of the area.  It is a great area for photography.  Well worth exploring at anytime of year.  When I lived in the Bay Area I went there mostly in winter, however, summer with its fogs also offers some great photography opportunities.

http://usbackroads.blogspot.com/2010/02/pt-reyes-national-seashore-california.html

http://usbackroads.blogspot.com/2010/02/pt-reyes-lighthouse-california.html

http://usbackroads.blogspot.com/2010/02/limantour-beach-california.html

The three blog posting were actually one short day trip to Pt. Reyes from the Napa Valley.

I like Wilderness more than oysters!!  Interesting history of land acquisition and management of the area by the National Park Service.  As a professional Forester than has been on both sides of the fence......I don't have much sympathy for the new owner of the oyster farm!!
« Last Edit: September 17, 2014, 02:53:29 pm by Vladimir Steblina »
Retired Forester....rambling round
www.usbackroads.blogspot.com
Pages: [1]   Go Up