Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Ice sculpture  (Read 2532 times)

vazuw55

Ice sculpture
« on: July 24, 2014, 02:27:10 pm »

An ice sculpture

pcgpcg

• paulglasser
Re: Ice sculpture
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2014, 07:30:06 pm »

First:  The pieces of ice are intriguing and artistic in their own right.  You've identified a great subject with beautiful form.
However, my personal take on this is...

1) For me, this photo needs more content for reference.  I can't tell how big those pieces of ice are.  Is this part of a serac on a glacier or are the pieces much smaller?  Are they inches apart or feet apart?
2) The composition seems a bit weak to me.  I'd like to see a stronger design.
3) The brightest areas of the clouds are clipped on my monitor.  Is your monitor calibrated?

This is great subject matter and the ice is fun to look at, but my brain wants to see a more satisfying composition.  So there's my opinion, worth about two cents at today's rates. :)

vazuw55

« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2014, 10:51:31 pm »

Thanks for your honest opinion. you've cured me of this site

luxborealis

• luxBorealis.com - photography by Terry McDonald
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2014, 11:31:10 pm »

Don't be put off by one critique by one person. Critiques here can be harsh at times, but are often warranted and just as often disregarded when there is good reason to. If someone feels there is room for improvement, they'll say so, usually with tact and helpful suggestions, but sometimes without.

That being said, there is a User a Critique section where critique is expected. In this Landscape & Nature Photography thread, I often find that the critique is a little more reserved unless a poster specifically asks for it.

Keep posting - you'll be amazed at what you can learn here. And besides, the hard lumps are not physical and not personal.
Terry McDonald - luxBorealis.com

pcgpcg

• paulglasser
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2014, 12:40:32 am »

... there is a User a Critique section where critique is expected. In this Landscape & Nature Photography thread, I often find that the critique is a little more reserved unless a poster specifically asks for it...
Thank you for pointing that out.  In retrospect, given the category where the photo was posted, my remarks were inappropriate. I should have realized that and will abide by those guidelines in the future.  My apologies to the original poster.  I thought you were asking for feedback by posting, and I was trying to be helpful.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2014, 01:05:54 am by pcgpcg »

Paulo Bizarro

• http://www.paulobizarro.com
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2014, 03:53:25 am »

It is interesting that what I like most about this photo is the  lack of a scale reference. Some may find it disconcerting, but to me, that is what makes the photo really work; it adds mystery and makes me think.

Geedorama

« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2014, 05:29:12 am »

It's not an easy, conventional picture to like, but that's just what makes me like it..it kinda grows on you.

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2014, 08:35:44 am »

Thanks for your honest opinion. you've cured me of this site

I am forced sometimes to wonder how people with such thin skin survive in the real world. You posted a photo; he made some comments. They weren't vitriolic, or abusive, or dismissive; they were, obviously, an attempt to offer help. You can take them or leave them; you can ignore them or engage with them. But you're going to run away? That's bizarre behaviour.

Jeremy

IcelandAurora

• Driven by a passion for Landscape Photography
    • Iceland Aurora photo tours
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2014, 11:12:45 am »

I am forced sometimes to wonder how people with such thin skin survive in the real world. You posted a photo; he made some comments. They weren't vitriolic, or abusive, or dismissive; they were, obviously, an attempt to offer help. You can take them or leave them; you can ignore them or engage with them. But you're going to run away? That's bizarre behaviour.

Jeremy

Have to agree Jeremy.  It was odd behaviour, what were the intentions of posting?  Just to revel in glory?

I agree with the critique given by pcgpcg.  Except point 1.  Anything that is going to demonstrate the scale of these ice chunks is going to ruin the image.  Let them be abstract.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2014, 11:15:19 am by IcelandAurora »
Driven by a passion for landscape photography and Iceland
http://icelandaurora.com/tours/

Shakyphoto (Slim)

• Shakyphoto
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2014, 03:06:58 am »

Have to agree Jeremy.  It was odd behaviour, what were the intentions of posting?  Just to revel in glory?

I agree with the critique given by pcgpcg.  Except point 1.  Anything that is going to demonstrate the scale of these ice chunks is going to ruin the image.  Let them be abstract.

+1.  The only reason i joined this site was to get other view points and critiques on my photos.  I don't agree with a lot of it, but I think it's important to know what other people think if you wish to share your your photos.  If a 90 % people are telling me that a photos is "under exposed" or "over corrected" it's going to force me to rethink my processing of the photo.
Wandering the World, Watching for Wonders
http://www.shakyphoto.com
http://www.fb.com/Shakyphoto

Praki

« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2014, 08:08:27 am »

Lessons have been learnt by many. It is time to let it go.

Fine_Art

« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2014, 10:57:00 pm »

I'm with you on that.
The subject has a lot of potential, the OP should keep exploring it. The feedback was not bad. There are hundreds of talented people here. If you cannot accept anything less than gushing praise...seems a bit prima dona.

I would bet most people, including myself would have to look and shoot ice formations like that for hrs before slowly converging on a vision of how to make it look.

maddogmurph

• Maddog's Photography
« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2014, 06:32:27 pm »

I'm probably the only one that liked the photograph, but was immediately attracted by the blemish on the ice in the bottom left which sort of ruined the effect I thought he was intentionally trying to produce (the ethereal look)
Maddog Murph
www.depictionsofbeauty.com
Mostly here for constructive feedback.
Pages: [1]   Go Up