Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Weird dots/line on prints from 9880  (Read 1811 times)

NickCroken

Weird dots/line on prints from 9880
« on: July 24, 2014, 01:45:26 pm »

Hello!

Just recently my 9880 started giving me some issues with the pictured dots on the left side of the prints.   It doesn't happen all the time which is the most frustrating part.  When it does happen, it's in relatively the same area.  I'm running the 9880, primarily printing on breathing color vibrance matte.  I tried changing the platen gap from normal, to wide to wider but nothing changed in terms of the lines.  Has anyone had this happen before, if so, what was the issue?

Thanks,
Nick

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
Re: Weird dots/line on prints from 9880
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2014, 03:42:06 pm »

This looks like a head strike.

If it's the left side when facing the printer, it might be a slight loss of suction.  The 9880 has several large fans below the platen that create the suction.  One or more of these may be starting to go out.  It would be more noticeable with a heavy weight paper. 

You also may have a bit of curl in the paper which will allow the paper up enough to have a head strike.   The marks appear to be at the very edge of the print, where curl would be a possible issue.

Paul
Paul Caldwell
Little Rock, Arkansas U.S.
www.photosofarkansas.com

hugowolf

« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2014, 04:21:24 pm »

I would look at the media settings you are using for that paper. You could try increasing the 'paper thickness' setting, and if you are printing on rolls, the suction setting.

Brian A

NickCroken

« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2014, 01:29:11 pm »

Ok, just did some more printing.  The first 36" print came out fine, the next one had subtle dots.  If the fan was dying you'd think it would happen all the time.  I also tried with a high platen setting despite the normal one being suggested for breathing color vibrant matte.  Is there anyway to pull the print head to look at the bottom of it?  Maybe there is paper dust collecting on it from the cutter and gets hit by ink.  I'm going to swap over to 24" rolls and see if that changes anything.

NickCroken

« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2014, 02:13:10 pm »

Just tried a set of prints on a 24" roll of paper.  The dots are in the same spot.  I think this rules out the ran as being an issue. I checked in the maintenance section of the print driver and it shows everything in good health.  My guess is that is has to do with the print head. 

Any other ideas?

NickCroken

« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2014, 03:10:19 pm »

I tried shift the prints to the right to see if that would change anything but the lines still appear 1/3" in from the edge of the print. 

I called Epson and in typical Epson fashion they wouldn't talk to me about the issue and said they will be issuing a service call. Now, at $100 for them to show up, $175/h after that plus parts, I'm starting to wonder if I should just ditch the printer and buy a new one.   

If anyone has any further insights before I let Epson come take a look, I would greatly appreciate it.

hugowolf

« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2014, 04:07:49 pm »

The platen gap and paper thickness setting are separate. The platen gap is the distance from the print head to the print bed. The paper thickness setting adjusts the feed rollers, which may be the cause of your marks.

If it were head strikes, I think you would expect the marks nearer the edge.

Brian A

NickCroken

Re: Re: Weird dots/line on prints from 9880
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2014, 12:54:55 pm »

That shouldn't change though over time though should it? I've been printing on the same substrate for over a year and haven't had any issues. Epson sent a list of parts that might need replacing costing $2400 plus labour at 175/h.

The thought of just buying a 9900 is looming.

hugowolf

Re: Re: Weird dots/line on prints from 9880
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2014, 02:21:34 pm »

That shouldn't change though over time though should it?

It will not change much over time, unless you never clean the paper dust, lint, and other crud off the feed rollers. What have you got to lose  trying a thicker paper setting?

Brian A

NickCroken

Re:
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2014, 03:15:23 pm »

Oh god, I used to print exclusively on canvas and never had to deal with the dust as I always cut the paper myself. Having put through a ton of 24x36s in the last few months on paper this could totally be the issue. Where exactly should I clean? I looked in the manual and it didn't mention anything. I feel like an idiot right now.

NickCroken

« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2014, 05:09:15 pm »

Alrighty, I seem to have resolved the problem.  I'm six prints in with my usual settings and no lines. 

I pulled the front and top off the printer and cleaned up everything around the wiper area as well as what I could see on the print head.   Let me tell you how much garbage was hanging out in all of those areas.  Many q tips and dabs of rubbing alcohol later and she seems to be running a lot better. Even sounds better.   I pulled half inch long pieces of ink and debris guck out of multiple areas, some were even on the print head.
Pages: [1]   Go Up