Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Broadford Bay - IoS  (Read 3748 times)

Dave (Isle of Skye)

• I've even written a book about it
    • SkyePhotoGuide.com
Broadford Bay - IoS
« on: July 23, 2014, 06:37:49 pm »

:)

Dave

Walt Roycraft

• roycraftart
Re: Broadford Bay - IoS
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2014, 07:04:54 am »

Great sky. Very nice mood, love the mountains and the water. Not crazy about the foreground.
Walter Roycraft
http://www.roycraftart.c

sdwilsonsct

« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2014, 01:31:24 pm »

Dark, dark. It might be more satisfying if the elements fitted more closely, but the dissonance contributes to the unease.
I like it.

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2014, 02:01:44 pm »

Great sky. Very nice mood, love the mountains and the water. Not crazy about the foreground.

My thoughts exactly. I much prefer the shot without it.

Jeremy

Dave (Isle of Skye)

• SkyePhotoGuide.com
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2014, 03:09:03 pm »

Thanks guys for taking the time look and comment  ;)

Dave

KirbyKrieger

• Kirby Krieger Pictures
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2014, 07:13:44 pm »

Fwiw, 800 px. deprives the viewer an opportunity to appreciate this image.  As a large thumbnail, it's intriguing.  Is this the size of the end product?

Paulo Bizarro

• http://www.paulobizarro.com
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2014, 03:55:53 am »

I like the dark mood the photo conveys. Indeed the foreground is not very interesting, maybe those lines would suit a vertical composition better?

luxborealis

• luxBorealis.com - photography by Terry McDonald
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2014, 09:17:05 pm »

Dark and foreboding - captured well and presented well. Great work, Dave!
Terry McDonald - luxBorealis.com

stamper

« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2014, 04:26:31 am »

It looks like an image that could have been taken a 100 years ago, an old time feeling to it. One that sort of grows on you the more you look at it. Likeable!

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2014, 06:08:01 am »

I like the image, though I wonder if you could make more of the foreground and pump up the contrast. I'm thinking here of the Somerset landscapes (eg) taken by the war photographer Don McCullin - most of whose work seems "dark and foreboding".

brandtb

• http://www.brandtbolding.com
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2014, 09:27:06 am »

Nice
Brandt Bolding
www.brandtbolding.com

Dave (Isle of Skye)

• SkyePhotoGuide.com
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2014, 06:12:41 pm »

I like the image, though I wonder if you could make more of the foreground and pump up the contrast. I'm thinking here of the Somerset landscapes (eg) taken by the war photographer Don McCullin - most of whose work seems "dark and foreboding".

Hi John, do you mean more like this?

I know there still isn't too much that goes well above the quarter tones, but I have lifted the image's three quarter tones and half tones quite considerably.

Fwiw, 800 px. deprives the viewer an opportunity to appreciate this image.  As a large thumbnail, it's intriguing.  Is this the size of the end product?

Kirby, this version is larger as per your request  ;)

Thanks everyone, I sort of had the impression that people thought I'd gone a bit too dark and brooding with this image, but I am really glad that you like it. It was never meant to be a pretty image you see and always more towards the 'Dark and foreboding' as Terry mentioned.

Also if Robert (Stamper) happens to pass by here, I have updated my mug shot as per your request  ;)

Thanks again everyone  ;D

Dave
« Last Edit: August 04, 2014, 06:20:14 pm by Dave (Isle of Skye) »

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2014, 03:38:28 am »

Yes, along those lines, Dave, though I'd say more of the same. To me the scene is all about the tortured foreground, which offers a bit of a lead-in, and the gentle fells in the distance. The sky is interesting, but secondary? Maybe lose the very near foreground, so we go straight into those lines (more local contrast or clarity), burn in the sky from the top right to push the eye back down, and perhaps lighten the fells (or whatever they're called!) but only a touch. Dark and foreboding....

stamper

« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2014, 04:49:36 am »

I think there is a difference between critiquing an image and someone imposing there own vision? Asking for wholesale changes is imo effectively damming the person's original posting. I see a lot of that on the site. Possibly one reason why there are less images getting posted for critique?

Chairman Bill

• flickr page
« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2014, 05:21:50 am »

Possibly one reason why there are less images getting posted for critique?

I posted several images of the Dorset coast a short while back; just one person commented. Dave's shot has attracted a lot of attention. People vote with their feet (sort of), and the attention it has got suggests it's worthy of that attention, unlike my offerings. In addition, some have felt it worthy of offering their own take on how they'd present it. Those of us who offer stuff up for critique, do so with the understanding that such things might happen, if our work is good enough.

Anyway, at least Dave avoided that overused Photoshop 'Blue Scottish Skies' plug-in & presented the sky as it really was.

Dave (Isle of Skye)

• SkyePhotoGuide.com
« Reply #15 on: August 05, 2014, 06:07:03 am »

I posted several images of the Dorset coast a short while back; just one person commented. Dave's shot has attracted a lot of attention. People vote with their feet (sort of), and the attention it has got suggests it's worthy of that attention, unlike my offerings. In addition, some have felt it worthy of offering their own take on how they'd present it. Those of us who offer stuff up for critique, do so with the understanding that such things might happen, if our work is good enough.

Anyway, at least Dave avoided that overused Photoshop 'Blue Scottish Skies' plug-in & presented the sky as it really was.

Hi Bill,

I am sorry that only a few people looked at and commented on your images Bill, but my excuse is that I have been so busy over the last month or two, that I haven't really been on the site much, other than a bit of late night lurking and to pop up a couple of images - your remark about the Afghan Girl BTW, was very informative and bang on the money I think  ;)

I will go and have a look at your images right now, but I have to say that sometimes people on Lula are busy or something and so an image can easily slip down the list without much attention, but I for one will go and have a look at them right now.

Oh and you are correct, the skies up here are not always blue..  ;)

Dave

Chairman Bill

• flickr page
« Reply #16 on: August 05, 2014, 06:11:51 am »

No need to apologise Dave. People looked, but didn't seem to feel it worth commenting. That speaks volumes & I have looked again at those shots to determine what the problem was. Maybe too much like holiday snaps  ;)

By the way, I see you've had your hair done - very nice too  :)

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #17 on: August 05, 2014, 06:27:05 am »

I think there is a difference between critiquing an image and someone imposing there own vision? Asking for wholesale changes is imo effectively damming the person's original posting. I see a lot of that on the site. Possibly one reason why there are less images getting posted for critique?

Huh? No-one's imposing "there" own vision or asking for wholesale changes. More like compliments and encouragement to pursue it.

Dave (Isle of Skye)

• SkyePhotoGuide.com
« Reply #18 on: August 05, 2014, 06:33:42 am »

By the way, I see you've had your hair done - very nice too  :)

It is quite long a raggedy at the moment (and I can't do a thing with it), as I haven't had chance to get it cut for about three months at least now. I think our younger guests must look at me and think, silly old fart, long hair at your age, what are you thinking...

Anyway, it will be at least another couple of weeks before I get chance to get it cut, so I am thinking of wearing a headband and painting flowers on my cheeks and saying 'Peace and Love man' a lot.

Dave
Pages: [1]   Go Up