Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: To crop or not  (Read 1210 times)

pcgpcg

• paulglasser
To crop or not
« on: July 23, 2014, 01:07:18 pm »

Mal Mcilwraith’s stunning painting/photo montage that he posted last week reminded me of a “problem” I had shelved a couple months ago.  This photo was taken on the Warm Springs Indian Reservation in central Oregon. I like it for its pastel colors and also because it somewhat has the appearance of a painting.  However, I think the sagebrush in the foreground detracts from the illusion of a painting and also further complicates the color palette (what was once a muted red/white/and blue, but now also contains green and orange), but I don’t see how to crop it out without upsetting the overall composition.  On the other hand, maybe the distraction in the foreground adds interest? Or it isn't as much of a distraction as I imagine?
I’d appreciate some criticism and advice.  Thank you.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2014, 01:14:32 pm by pcgpcg »

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
Re: To crop or not
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2014, 01:18:16 pm »

You can de-emphasize it (darken) by a GND filter in post, for instance.

luxborealis

• luxBorealis.com - photography by Terry McDonald
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2014, 03:08:18 pm »

As per Slobodan's suggestion...and/or try a 16:9 crop through the centre, ridding yourself of the foreground and part of the sky.
Terry McDonald - luxBorealis.com

stamper

« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2014, 03:48:11 am »

I vote for no crop. It is a little too "light" for my tastes but I respect your rendering. A likeable image. :)

pcgpcg

• paulglasser
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2014, 11:24:40 am »

You can de-emphasize it (darken) by a GND filter in post, for instance.
Good idea.  I may use a GND filter to at least lower the saturation and contrast in that region.

...It is a little too "light" for my tastes but I respect your rendering. A likeable image. :)
I waffled on that too, but I've grown fond of the light muted pastels.

Thanks all for the helpful comments.  It's easy for me to lose perspective when I get focused on a project and it's very helpful to have outside input.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2014, 02:03:12 pm by pcgpcg »

dennisd

« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2014, 08:48:38 pm »

Lovely palette of color.  Interesting shot.

You might consider dealing with the variant foreground colors in your post proc. as an alternate to cropping.   

As an aside, and more apparent to my eye -- consider the near merging of the top of the "hump" in middle ground the against the rising slope of the distant hill.  That definitely needs clarification in your post work.

Good wishes.

Dennis

Bruce Cox

• flickr
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2014, 10:16:12 pm »

I liked it and tried not to change it too much, though my fooling around seems to have made the reds darker. . .
« Last Edit: July 27, 2014, 10:23:41 pm by Bruce Cox »

pcgpcg

• paulglasser
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2014, 10:16:38 am »

...consider the near merging of the top of the "hump" in middle ground the against the rising slope of the distant hill.  That definitely needs clarification in your post work...
Thanks for pointing that out.  I'd never noticed that.  Now it is glaring at me and begging to be fixed.  Thank you so much.

pcgpcg

• paulglasser
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2014, 10:19:12 am »

I liked it and tried not to change it too much, though my fooling around seems to have made the reds darker. . .
It is a fun one to ponder and play around with.  I keep going back and forth on saturation and luminance of the various colors.  I may be at this for several months!
Pages: [1]   Go Up