Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Calibrated Screen and wrong icc on display jpeg files  (Read 2338 times)

focales.be

Calibrated Screen and wrong icc on display jpeg files
« on: July 22, 2014, 10:04:27 am »

Hello everybody,

I have a strange case.

I imported a raw file (canon shot with AdobeRGB colors in body) in Capture One 7.  I edited the file, then exported in JPEG with sRGB colour space.
Until here no way to cry.

But If I display the jpeg result on my calibrated screen (with XRite system), I don't have the same result in the windows viewer than in my capture1.
I get a screen shot to show the difference (both on the same screen).

The screenshot was taken on the second monitor linked to my laptop.  Both are calibrated,  on the external IPS screen it gives awful dark rendering (see picture).
on the laptop no difference (or very light the jpeg compression).

Someone has ever encounter this kind of stuff ?  ???
Thank you

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
Re: Calibrated Screen and wrong icc on display jpeg files
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2014, 10:11:29 am »

Looks like one app (clearly C1) is color managed, the other isn't.
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

focales.be

« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2014, 11:36:01 am »

Looks like one app (clearly C1) is color managed, the other isn't.

So why bother with ICC then ? if the main viewer from Microsoft don't use it (I doubt this is really the case) LOL :p
and a friend has problem on some apps in Mac Os too with the picture in jpeg. 

I cannot believe we can have awfull difference in Safari, Chrome, Microsoft viewer, such big actors in the web when using ICC.  If a system is so unefficient why still use it ?  ???

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2014, 12:04:01 pm »

So why bother with ICC then ? if the main viewer from Microsoft don't use it (I doubt this is really the case) LOL :p
and a friend has problem on some apps in Mac Os too with the picture in jpeg. 

I cannot believe we can have awfull difference in Safari, Chrome, Microsoft viewer, such big actors in the web when using ICC.  If a system is so unefficient why still use it ?  ???
Why? Because applications that deal with color and use it will show the previews correctly. Those that don't, do not. You'll have to take this up with MS if I'm correct about the other app, which I suspect I am. I'm a Mac guy, everything they supply that handles images is color managed (Mail, Preview, Safari etc).

TonyW

« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2014, 03:15:20 pm »

So why bother with ICC then ? ...
This is a problem that has been reported over a number of years too dark yellow etc. not sure of a definitive resolution and Windows Photo Viewer is not an application I bother with but what I can say after a quick try is that it does actually seem to work well and display images correctly on my Win 7 64 bit system. 

According to MS it is a colour managed application and I have seen no reason not to believe this.  Therefore your issues may lie in your colour management settings.  AFAIK Photo Viewer will not recognise v4 icc profiles only v2 - have no idea what happens if you use v4

As you have a calibrated monitor I assume that you have checked via Control Panel / Color Management that your monitor is correctly identified and using your profile as in attachment 1?

Second attachment is a screen shot of my settings in the Advanced tab if yours are different (particularly the second down highlighted blue) you may want to try changing.  No guarantees but...

D Fosse

« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2014, 04:22:54 pm »

Windows Photo Viewer is fully color managed and should display identically to any other color managed app.

This looks to me like the wrong profile is loaded for the external display (that's quite common on both platforms). Check under Color Management as per Tony's screenshot #1 above.

Simon Garrett

« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2014, 04:39:12 pm »

Windows Photo Viewer is fully color managed and should display identically to any other color managed app.

This looks to me like the wrong profile is loaded for the external display (that's quite common on both platforms). Check under Color Management as per Tony's screenshot #1 above.

Windows Photo Viewer supplied with Vista on is colour-managed, the equivalent viewer in XP wasn't. 

I agree about profiles: I think the OP mentioned using a laptop.  In which case, make sure the laptop video card can support two independently-calibrated monitors (i.e. laptop screen and external). 

Jeff-Grant

• http://www.jeff-grant.com
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2014, 05:43:30 pm »

Having been through a similar process recently, I posted this http://www.jeff-grant.com/browser-colour-management-in-2014
Cheers,
 Jeff  www.jeff-grant.com

focales.be

« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2014, 04:46:23 am »

Thanx all for the replies here are the details

According to MS it is a colour managed application and I have seen no reason not to believe this.  Therefore your issues may lie in your colour management settings.  AFAIK Photo Viewer will not recognise v4 icc profiles only v2 - have no idea what happens if you use v4

I calibrated the second monitor with v4.  I'll try to change back to v2.

As you have a calibrated monitor I assume that you have checked via Control Panel / Color Management that your monitor is correctly identified and using your profile as in attachment 1?
Second attachment is a screen shot of my settings in the Advanced tab if yours are different (particularly the second down highlighted blue) you may want to try changing.  No guarantees but...

yes but for the second picture, the default system is only for one monitor (stupid but I think someone in the replies were right maybe windows only  deals with one color file only).

Can I ask a favor to MAC guys ?  I send the first picture to one of my friends who said to me that some display of this file were different in Keynotes, in Safari, Chrome and mac Viewer.  Is it true for you also ?
And test if it is also the same with the second version ?

Because when I send a file for a public presentation the minimum is that this picture looks correct looooooooool.

focales.be

« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2014, 06:16:13 am »

Waaaaouuuuwww
Thanx TonyW  I changed back to bradford v2 in ICC file and miracle it works !!!!  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

And if someone can confirm the case of the two last files in my last post.  I could say that by default Capture One is set to Perception mode when moving a colour space to another one.  For the second picture I changed to Relative Colour (Preferences, colour, intend to ...).
I cannot understand that by default it uses the worst one for photography lol.  I'll write to them :)

You're awesome guys :)  Thanx again !
As soon as someone confirm me the last question, I'll set this post to resolved.  :P

D Fosse

« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2014, 07:11:28 am »

If it displays differently in different browsers/apps, most likely the document profile has been stripped. Policies vary in how to treat untagged images.

You need both profiles - an embedded document profile, and a valid display profile (valid for that particular display). One is converted into the other.

Aside from some technicalities in how profile conversions are performed, there is no difference between Mac and Windows. Color management or not is still governed by the application, not the OS. However, some native Windows apps are not color managed, while most Mac apps are.

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2014, 09:40:57 am »

Can I ask a favor to MAC guys ?  I send the first picture to one of my friends who said to me that some display of this file were different in Keynotes, in Safari, Chrome and mac Viewer.  Is it true for you also ?
Send along.
Pages: [1]   Go Up