Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: Hasselblad CFV50c  (Read 47311 times)

JV

Hasselblad CFV50c
« on: July 21, 2014, 07:37:05 am »

http://www.hasselbladusa.com/news1/2014-07-21_cfv_50c.aspx
This is excellent news!
Hoping for the same price tag of €11,000 and a Hy6 mount one day...

eronald

• My gallery on Instagram
Re: Hasselblad CFV50c
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2014, 07:52:11 am »

http://www.hasselbladusa.com/news1/2014-07-21_cfv_50c.aspx
This is excellent news!
Hoping for the same price tag of €11,000 and a Hy6 mount one day...

Liveview?

Edmund
If you appreciate my blog posts help me by following on https://instagram.com/edmundronald

MrSmith

« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2014, 08:11:18 am »

read the specs. ::)
also shutterless FE lenses can be used.

Ken Doo

• Carmel Fine Art Printing & Reproduction
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2014, 09:45:07 am »

Kudos to Hasselblad on their new MFDB. 

But Firewire???  ::)

gazwas

« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2014, 11:35:04 am »

But Firewire???  ::)

My thoughts exactly - Firewire......... really?  ???

What looks like a truly excellent back comes with an interface that no computer manufacturer supports and probably have not for the last two (or more) years.

What the hell are HB thinking - V users use old cameras so they are bound to use old computers?

But.... I suppose the H5 still uses Firewire so it was to be expected. Is it really that expensive to licence USB3?
trying to think of something meaningful........ Err?

hexx

« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2014, 11:38:45 am »

no live view, only via phocus, at least from the specs it looks like it

Steve Hendrix

• http://www.captureintegration.com/
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2014, 11:44:21 am »

What looks like a truly excellent back comes with an interface that no computer manufacturer supports and probably have not for the last two (or more) years.

What the hell are HB thinking - V users use old cameras so they are bound to use old computers?

But.... I suppose the H5 still uses Firewire so it was to be expected. Is it really that expensive to licence USB3?

The expense is not from licensing USB3. The expense is from completely re-doing the chassis - which means beginning a new design for the next X number of generations that accommodates the communication port as well as the circuit board and well, frankly everything is new. You don't just create a new chassis to add one port. That's where the expense comes from. Phase One clearly had something different in mind (IQ technology) when the P65+ was announced, but it wasn't ready yet - that's why (my theory) the P65+ still had the P+ chassis, it wasn't just a matter of updating the LCD screen and the supposed relatively low cost of that.

Steve Hendrix
Capture Integration
Steve Hendrix • 404-543-8475 www.captureintegration.com (e-mail Me)
Phase One | Leaf | Leica | Alpa | Cambo | Sinar | Arca Swiss

MrSmith

« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2014, 12:33:19 pm »

at least the sony batteries are cheap  ;)

buckshot

« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2014, 02:02:51 pm »

I guess if USB3 is that big a deal you can get it in the IQ250 - but that will cost you (cough, cough) $20k more.

Douglas Fairbank

• Retired Hasselblad service technician
    • Classic V
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2014, 02:16:59 pm »

Great news, well done Hasselblad and no pre launch leaks! :D
Douglas Fairbank LRPS

aaron

• http://
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2014, 02:21:48 pm »

That was hugely exciting just for a few moments.....
A new CFV back, must be square and large, they wouldn't bother otherwise.....

But 43.8 x 32.9 mm, on a V, seems like a wasted opportunity

DanielStone

« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2014, 02:43:19 pm »

I wholeheartedly agree, but the same could be said about ANY MFD system, outside of the Leica S and/or 645d/z systems(and their compatible optics), which were designed around the smaller chip from the start.

-Dan

nathantw

« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2014, 03:26:04 pm »

I personally was excited because it showed that Hasselblad hadn't abandoned the V-Series completely as they appeared to have done. I as just happy something came out.

Now if we looked at the product, though, the lack of newer tech such as USB 3.0 or the fact that the battery is still external can be drawbacks. Some people would argue that the lack of video is a drawback too. The new CMOS sensor and larger LCD is definitely something to get excited about but for $15,000 US is it enough to get people excited enough to buy? I'm not in marketing or pretend to know anything about Hasselblad's company internals, but I would think, as a consumer, that a $9000 product would cause some major demand for the product while still competing with Pentax and its 645z offering. And as we've all seen Hasselblad isn't usually, if ever, on sale, so it's MSRP all the time, everyday.

hexx

« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2014, 03:44:55 pm »

I personally was excited because it showed that Hasselblad hadn't abandoned the V-Series completely as they appeared to have done. I as just happy something came out.

Now if we looked at the product, though, the lack of newer tech such as USB 3.0 or the fact that the battery is still external can be drawbacks. Some people would argue that the lack of video is a drawback too. The new CMOS sensor and larger LCD is definitely something to get excited about but for $15,000 US is it enough to get people excited enough to buy? I'm not in marketing or pretend to know anything about Hasselblad's company internals, but I would think, as a consumer, that a $9000 product would cause some major demand for the product while still competing with Pentax and its 645z offering. And as we've all seen Hasselblad isn't usually, if ever, on sale, so it's MSRP all the time, everyday.

The problem here is that you can get Pentax and adaptor for V lenses and have access to proper live view, USB3 and also Pentax lenses. At first I was excited too, but what's the point? You still can't rotate the back (like I can with my good old Aptus) and apart from not having one cable going from back to lens I don't see any other advantage. Sure, you have leaf shutter in the lens and flash sync 1/500s

Theodoros

« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2014, 05:03:07 pm »

But... who needs WA photography (that's a joke) anyway....?

NickT

« Reply #15 on: July 21, 2014, 05:26:31 pm »

This is a non issue. I shoot FW via a thunderbolt adaptor all day and nearly every day with zero connection issues.

gazwas

« Reply #16 on: July 21, 2014, 06:36:13 pm »

This is a non issue. I shoot FW via a thunderbolt adaptor all day and nearly every day with zero connection issues.
Agreed, FW adapters work fine but it would be nice to not have to bother don't you think?
trying to think of something meaningful........ Err?

nik

• Nick Vasilopoulos Photography
« Reply #17 on: July 21, 2014, 06:37:39 pm »

I guessing Hasselblad determined that if you're shooting an old camera like the V, you're probably using an old Mac with Firewire ;).

But Firewire???  ::)

ondebanks

« Reply #18 on: July 21, 2014, 07:05:51 pm »

For something to be called a wasted opportunity, there must be an alternative that was not taken up.

What's your alternative to this sensor?

The number of CMOS Bayer sensors larger than 35mm format on the market is exactly...one. This one.

If Hasselblad had not used the one and only large(-ish) colour CMOS sensor to make a high performance V-series back, now that would have been a wasted opportunity!

Ray

JV

« Reply #19 on: July 21, 2014, 09:37:44 pm »

If Hasselblad had not used the one and only large(-ish) colour CMOS sensor to make a high performance V-series back, now that would have been a wasted opportunity!

+1

The problem here is that you can get Pentax and adaptor for V lenses and have access to proper live view, USB3 and also Pentax lenses. At first I was excited too, but what's the point? You still can't rotate the back (like I can with my good old Aptus) and apart from not having one cable going from back to lens I don't see any other advantage. Sure, you have leaf shutter in the lens and flash sync 1/500s

If you want to keep on shooting Hasselblad V (and lenses) your only other CMOS option is the Phase One IQ250 digital back and the price difference is $20K.   

For $20K I am sure some people will be able to live without live view and USB3…

The rotating sensor is unfortunately a thing of the past.  The recent Leaf backs don't have it either, the Phase One backs never had it.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8   Go Up