Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Suggestions: Auckland, Rotorua, Whangarei, Cairns  (Read 4643 times)

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
Suggestions: Auckland, Rotorua, Whangarei, Cairns
« on: July 20, 2014, 03:36:53 pm »

I'm going on a trip to Australia and NZ. It's primarily for visiting my wife's relatives and old friends but I hope to get some photography done as well. Sadly, it's going to be August and so mid-winter, but that's UK school holiday time. South Island will have to wait.

I start with a couple of days in Sydney, then on to Auckland. I have only 5 days in NZ. I'm planning to spend 2 in Rotorua, then go to Whangarei (friend's location) and perhaps on to Bay of Islands, then a day in Auckland.

I then go to Sydney and after a couple of days on to Cairns for a week, then another couple of days in Sydney before heading home.

Any suggestions would be very welcome. I'll have a car in NZ and in Cairns, and I could get one in Sydney, I expect.

Jeremy

Tony Jay

Re: Suggestions: Auckland, Rotorua, Whangarei, Cairns
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2014, 07:40:32 pm »

Hi Jeremy, good to see you are heading for the Antipodes!

As far as Cairns and surrounds go you are spoilt for choice.
Possible suggestions:
1. Port Douglas and the Daintree/Mossman area - the drive between Cairns and Port Douglas is an event in itself!
2. Atherton Tablelands - lots of Rainforest up here too, consider researching specific tours for tree Kangaroos (two species inhabit these rain forests). Also plenty of waterfalls - too many to list.
3. Green Island and the Barrier Reef - tours every day, obviously any underwater photography requires a waterproof setup. Well worth a day even sans any photography. No need to use SCUBA - I just use a mask and a snorkel.
4. Barron River Gorge and National Park.
5. South of Cairns is Bellenden Ker - 2nd highest peak in Queensland - again rainforest and lots of waterfalls.

All these options (apart from the Green Island and the Reef) are easily accessible by any motor vehicle.
All are easily reached, Cairns and back, in a day.
If you have a 4X4 the options rise exponentially.

I will be in North Queensland for the next five weeks myself (anywhere between Cairns and the tip of Cape York Peninsula)

Enjoy!

Tony Jay

JNHenry

« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2014, 09:17:57 pm »

Hi Jeremy,

I lived in Auckland for a few years before moving over the Sydney last year.  The area around Auckland has some great spots.  My favorite is Muriwai Beach, especially the rock formations that lie between the north and south beaches at Muriwai.  It's an easy 30 minutes drive from downtown Auckland, and you can park really close to where I'd set up my tripod for sunset.

Another great beach is Bethells Beach.  This is a bit further way (40-50 minutes from downtown Auckland) but is wonderful.  The drive to get there is part of the fun, as it's a winding road through the hills until you get to the Tasman; no mobile phone service out there.  The beach is big, and even after parking it would take a good 20-25 minutes to walk to the rock formations at the south end of the beach.  Only worth going out here if sunset is at or near low tide.  Otherwise you can't get to the rock outcroppings unless you are willing to get very wet--and the waves area really too rough to risk it.

As for Rotorua, possible consider 2 nights but only one day there.  Not much to see other than Wai-o-Tapu, which has the iconic geothermal pool that everybody photographs.  Get there early and you'll have it to yourself for a bit.  The path to get there is a loop; suggest entering the "exit" of the loop to get to the main pool faster.

Also, FYI, driving in NZ takes longer than one would think.  Max speed limit is 100km/h, and frequently you have to drive slower.  Can't remember exactly, but Auckland to Rotorua is probably 4 hours.  Auckland to Bay of Island is closer to 5.

Cheers,

Jeff

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2014, 05:13:36 pm »

Thanks, both. I leave next Saturday. I have high hopes!

Jeremy

sdwilsonsct

« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2014, 08:55:02 pm »

Cairns: my snorkeling on Green and Fitzroy Islands was murky and I had much better (mind-blowing) views on the outer reefs you can reach by tour boat in an hour or so from Cairns. This might vary by season.

There are campsites and a hotel on Fitzroy Island which is a bit quieter than Cairns. OTOH a few years ago a camper there got dragged out of his tent  by a croc, so take a rugged camera bag.

Tony Jay

« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2014, 07:40:55 pm »

The water inshore tends to be murky after heavy rain (wet season).
At this time of year (relatively dry) the water quality should be spectacular.

Tony Jay

Misirlou

• http://
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2014, 10:33:43 am »

My wife and I spent a couple of weeks on North Island once. All of the suggestions sound good.

Also try Mercury Bay. It has a quite an interesting history, having been chosen by Captain Cook as the place to observe a transit of Mercury (one of the few ways to establish the precise location of a remote island using the technology of the day). We happened to be there for a glorious sunrise, but if you go, you should check the angles with PhotoPills or something similar. Depending on when you're there, it might not be as photographically exciting.

Unfortunately, I don't remember the names of some of the best places we went. We hiked to a rather spectacular waterfall at one point, and there was pretty interesting wildlife park where you could actually see Kiwis in very, very low light. Not worth trying to photograph them, but definitely worth seeing for yourself.

PhotoEcosse

« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2014, 05:43:32 am »

Last time I was in New Zealand I rented a car for 5 weeks and that was not nearly long enough to see even half of the country.

In general, I found more exciting photo opportunities on the South Island than in the north. Auckland is just a ghastly big city like every other ghastly big city anywhere - but with the decided advantage that it is very easy and quick to get out of it. Wellington has very little to commend it - other than the magnificent Te Papa museum (and, of course, the ferry to Picton). Rotorua is OK and the geothermal stuff can be interesting. Also only a short drive from Rotorua to Tauranga (maybe spelled that incorrectly) on the Bay of Plenty. Another place on the North Island worth visiting is Napier - but maybe best in February when they have their Art Deco week.

Other great things about NZ - they drive on the correct side of the road, the fly-fishing is superb and the policemen don't routinely have to carry guns. If I had found that place 50 years earlier, I would not have come home!!
"Reality is an illusion caused by lack of alcohol."
Alternatively, "Life begins at the far end of your comfort zone."

Misirlou

« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2014, 04:48:58 pm »

Other great things about NZ - they drive on the correct side of the road, the fly-fishing is superb and the policemen don't routinely have to carry guns. If I had found that place 50 years earlier, I would not have come home!!

Maybe. I was under the impression that NZ is a very, very difficult place to establish citizenship if you're not native born. Here in the US, it's quite difficult if you're law abiding and well-educated, but if you have no skills or resources, it's perfectly fine if you just walk across the border.

PhotoEcosse

« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2014, 06:30:38 am »

Maybe. I was under the impression that NZ is a very, very difficult place to establish citizenship if you're not native born.

Not 50 years ago. At that time any UK citizen could virtually walk in.

Even today, they have a very sensible immigration policy. If someone has specific work skills which are in short supply in NZ (together, obviously, with good health and no criminal record) they will be welcomed with open arms. NZ has a bit of a problem at the moment - many of their most talented and highly educated young people emigrate to Australia and beyond.
"Reality is an illusion caused by lack of alcohol."
Alternatively, "Life begins at the far end of your comfort zone."

PeterAit

• Peter Aitken Photographs
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2014, 09:20:55 am »

In Auckland, the day trip to Tiri Tiri Matangi is a real treat with many photo ops. I was there in the spring, don't know about winter. It's an island near Auckland that has been set aside as a native species preserve - they have (or are trying to) eradicated all introduced plants and animals and re-introduce native NZ species. The island has many gorgeous shores with cliffs and rocks, and the boat ride out takes you past lots of photographable scenery.

Misirlou

« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2014, 10:30:38 am »

NZ has a bit of a problem at the moment - many of their most talented and highly educated young people emigrate to Australia and beyond.

"The grass is always greener on the other side of the fence" I suppose.
Pages: [1]   Go Up