Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Why no Olympus lens corrections in LR?  (Read 5838 times)

PeterAit

• Peter Aitken Photographs
Why no Olympus lens corrections in LR?
« on: July 19, 2014, 09:40:09 am »

I know Olympus is not exactly Nikon or Canon, but surely they are a major enough player to have lens corrections included in LR. Are they listed under a different name?

AFairley

Re: Why no Olympus lens corrections in LR?
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2014, 10:01:47 am »

M4/3 lens corrections are applied automatically by ACR and LR using manufacturer-supplied correction information in the EXIF so there are no separate lens profiles.  (Ditto for the Fuji X system lenses.)   There are no Adobe-created lens profiles for 4/3 lenses, but using the Adobe lens profile downloaded you can get profiles others have made using the Adobe lens profiler software (I myself made and uploaded a profile for the 14-54mm zoom back in my Oly days).

I should have mentioned that per Eric Chan, the "baked in" manufacturer corrections tend to be on the conservative side.  You can create a lens profile for a m4/3 lens, and ACR/LR will add the (incremental) correction to the manufacturer's corrections.  I made and uploaded such profiles for the Panasonic 14-42 pancake and 20mm Mk I lenses.

Hope this helps.

PeterAit

« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2014, 10:24:38 am »

Thanks for the info. Does this apply also to the Olympus 4/3 (not M4/3) lenses?

I am also curious as to why some lens corrections are applied automatically and others are not. Do you know anything about this?

Keith Reavis

« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2014, 11:34:23 pm »

I know this is not exactly the answer to your question about LR, but I have been using DXO for years for their lens corrections. They have a very extensive list of supported camera/lens combinations on their website,  including Panasonic and Sigma lenses. The new version 9 has a great noise reduction feature called Prime which helps the smaller m 43 sensor. I have seen a noticeable difference between standard and Prime processing on my Olympus files. My work flow is to run RAW files through DXO and export as a dng, then import to LR.

Vladimirovich

« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2014, 12:51:16 pm »

Thanks for the info. Does this apply also to the Olympus 4/3 (not M4/3) lenses?

when in doubt make a shot in raw, convert to DNG using the current version of Adobe DNG converter/ACR/LR , see what is the content of DNG tags like WarpRectilinear ( or WarpFisheye )... one plane = automatic geometry correction, three planes = automatic for both geometry and LaCA corrections ... there is also FixVignetteRadial tag.

I am also curious as to why some lens corrections are applied automatically and others are not. Do you know anything about this?

if such information is present in the original raw file (as written by camera's firmware) and Adobe knows about that (see above how to find out if that's the case)

PeterAit

« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2014, 03:38:48 pm »

when in doubt make a shot in raw, convert to DNG using the current version of Adobe DNG converter/ACR/LR , see what is the content of DNG tags like WarpRectilinear ( or WarpFisheye )... one plane = automatic geometry correction, three planes = automatic for both geometry and LaCA corrections ... there is also FixVignetteRadial tag.

if such information is present in the original raw file (as written by camera's firmware) and Adobe knows about that (see above how to find out if that's the case)

Wow, that sounds like fun. I guess I should stop being a photographer and become a computer nebbish <g>!

Vladimirovich

« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2014, 05:44:07 pm »

Wow, that sounds like fun. I guess I should stop being a photographer and become a computer nebbish
and what kind of answer you were expecting then ?

PeterAit

« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2014, 06:06:25 pm »

One that actually answered my question.

Vladimirovich

« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2014, 07:11:08 pm »

One that actually answered my question.
post a link to a some raw (m43 camera w/ 43 lens in question) I will do the work you, to spare you brains  ;)

PS: don't bother... imaging resource has for example E-M10 Olympus raws shot with 43 50mm macro (Olympus 50/2)

dump from converted DNG shows

Opcode: WarpRectilinear, minVersion = 1.3.0.0, flags = 0
Planes: 3
  Optical center:
    h = 0.498276
    v = 0.500000
  Plane 0:
    Radial params:     1.000000, 0.000166, -0.000141, -0.000056
    Tangential params: 0.000000, 0.000000
  Plane 1:
    Radial params:     1.000000, 0.000000, 0.000000, 0.000000
  Plane 2:
    Radial params:     1.000000, -0.000055, 0.000308, 0.000040

indicates both geometry and LaCA corrections /but numbers shows that Olympus 43 50/2 Macro naturally requires very minimal correction/ performed by ACR/LR (compatible versions assumed)... however that might not be the case for a different m43 camera... you need to check raw files, but that's too complex for you  ;)
« Last Edit: July 20, 2014, 07:25:01 pm by Vladimirovich »

AFairley

« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2014, 09:44:22 am »

Peter, as I said in my original answer, correction information for full 4/3 lenses is not embedded in the files; for those you need separate lens profiles.  The info you need to get them is in my post.
Cheers.

Denis de Gannes

« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2014, 10:16:22 am »

There at least profiles there for my 4/3 lenses 14-54mm Mk1 and the 70-300 mm not sure what others are available. There are none for my 35mm macro, 40-150mm or 9-18mm. I have not checked to see if there are any online from other users.
P.S. There are lots available online see the screen capture. Make sure you change the camera make to Olympus Imaging.

« Last Edit: July 21, 2014, 10:42:01 am by Denis de Gannes »
Equip: iMac (Ret. 5K,27"Mid 2015),macOS 10.15.6

Vladimirovich

« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2014, 10:19:59 am »

Peter, as I said in my original answer, correction information for full 4/3 lenses is not embedded in the files

as I demonstrated above, it is embedded in raw files for some m43 cameras ;)

PeterAit

« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2014, 10:43:59 am »

The kind that answered my question? Which was, why are some corrections applied automatically and others are not?

Vladimirovich

« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2014, 11:00:06 am »

The kind that answered my question? Which was, why are some corrections applied automatically and others are not?

which was answered yesterday, let me repeat = "if such information is present in the original raw file (as written by camera's firmware) and Adobe knows about that (see above how to find out if that's the case)"...

for m43 cameras there are no uniform situations - some cameras for example do record information for LaCA corrections and some do not for the same lens  ;D (for example Olympus started this only from E-M1 onwards and Panasonic always did, but m43 has more camera manufacturers than just Olympus and Panasonic) ... so you really need to be able to check the raws from your camera
« Last Edit: July 21, 2014, 01:31:25 pm by Vladimirovich »
Pages: [1]   Go Up